Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    why? because his family was in the audience?

i'll photoshop us some team seth t shirts tomorrow
    Who's family was in the audience? I thought Lincoln didn't have any descendants left?!

vCash
    My highlights were:
    Dame Shirley singing

Ang Lee pulling off the upset for Best Director. IMHO he completely deserved it over Spielberg. I cannot imagine how difficult it must have been to pull off the direction of a movie like Life of Pi versus a biopic. It seems as though,despite having two Oscars, this man does not get enough credit for the talent he has.

DDL winning for Lincoln- He really outshone everyone.

Anne Hathaway winning for Supporting- Cringeworthy speeches galore all season long, I liked her performance.

I liked Seth McFarlane's Flying Nun skit. I've seen that show in reruns and it's actually pretty fun. I like Sally Field a lot, although not in Lincoln.

Question: Why were beards on male actors all of a sudden the new trend here ? Everyone looked unshaven and so unkempt; Bradley Cooper ,Jean Dujardin, Ben Affleck, George Clooney, etc.

It aged all of them considerably. Was it an homage to Lincoln?
    Last edited by escaflowne9282; 02-25-2013 at 07:12 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TalentedButHumble View Post
    I think my girl JLaw's fall threw her off her game, and she prolly didn't give the whole speech she would've.
    It probably slightly impacted on her speech (in that it seemed to end prematurely), but it was still a good speech all the same. Probably just had less thank you's than it otherwise would have

Video: Jennifer Lawrence - Oscar Win, Hiccup On Way To Collect Award, And Speech

Loved how Jen made light of the fall: "You guys are probably standing up because you feel bad that I fell, and that's really embarassing!"
    Last edited by Maofan7; 02-25-2013 at 06:50 AM.

vCash
    Not that I'm bitter or anything, but Ang Lee must be the only director to have won twice yet not have their film win Best Picture.

vCash
    My highlights were:

Ang Lee's win, wow wasn't expecting that! I also love his reactions to every other award Life of Pi has won. Super stoked this movie came out with 4 wins - the most this year!

Jennifer Lawrence, even though wasn't a huge surprise considering she pretty much swept the award season but I love her personality and attitude. Go JLaw!

Anne Hathaway, again rooting for her because her performance was beyond human but yeah...her speeches... need work.

I wanted to like all the musical performances but the sound was so poor it took out all the enjoyments. The hosting, I thought Seth did the job but the opening wasn't strong as most of the past Oscar hosts. I like it a lot better than all the hates though. For the boobies song the reactions from the actresses in the audience was obviously staged and pre-taped because they all had different hair and different dresses.

As for Argo winning Best Picture... I'm okay with the manufactured tension in the movie because otherwise it'd be a bore, but after reading all the historical inaccuracies of the characters, the development of events, and Ben Affleck's defense towards them I'm okay with his Oscar snub and was hoping it wouldn't win Best Picture. Its win completes the Hollywood circle jerk.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    I don't know anything about his TV shows or movies (cause I hate going to the theater, and wouldn't know who wrote them anyway), and I never even really knew who he was until I saw him on Saturday Night Live, but I thought Seth MacFarlane was a great host. I was laughing the whole time. I thought he was funny. Guess it was just me.
    Last edited by BaileyCatts; 02-25-2013 at 07:36 AM.

vCash
    Congratulations to all the winners.
    I hope voters didn't pick Argo just to get back at the Academy for "snubbing" Affleck. Spite seems like a terrible reason for a movie to win.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

Vacant
    vCash
    Wow this show sounds like a trainwreck judging by this thread. Good job I don't have to watch it but we just had Dame Shirley interviewed on UKTV and she was beside herself with excitement. Loving her stopping the show and upstaging all of Hollywood. 76 years young and still the pipes do not wither. Amazing!!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post
    Boo.. .Argo.. talk about a film full of crap.. and yes I am a pissed Canadian - seeing as they seemed to 'forgot' the main part of the real life story whereby the 'actual' hero was the Canadian ambassador..
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I thought the movie gave a LOT of credit to the ambassador.
    Nah, they didn't show them leaving Iran using maple leaf parachutes and singing "Oh Canada".

Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    I'm not a big Bond fan, but I thought Skyfall was really good.
    It was about half an hour too long.

Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post
    I haven't seen this movie.. Django unchained.. it looks really interesting.. I have mixed feelings with Tarantino films.. usually I don't like violence but i loved inglorious bastards.. would I like this movie???
    If you're going to be consistent about your historical accuracy fetish, then the answer should be no. But I believe no Canadians were besmirched in its production so you might be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post

I doubt the British, New Zealand etc like being presented as folks who would endanger their own alles...
    Perhaps they're not as insecure about their own national identities.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    The first lady shoehorning herself into the Academy Awards....seriously?

GMAFB.
    PML that you make it sound like she just waltzed in and decided to present the award by royal decree or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    At least he acknowledged Canada.
    If he didn't have a maple leaf pin on his lapel, it doesn't count!

Looking forward to seeing the highlights tonight at a sensible hour. Hope we get to see the Girl from Tiger Bay!
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    I thought Argo emphasized the CIA's role because 1. it's more entertaining that way (fake movies, fake studios, people masquerading as filmmakers = truth is stranger than fiction) 2. it was based on the Wired article and on Mendez's book, both of which were about that part of the story 3. the Canadians involved got a lot of credit when the events happened, and rightly so - while the CIA's role remained classified for years. So if anything, the Canadian involvement has been given plenty of credit over the years, and Argo just balances things out by focusing on a different part of the narrative After all, there's already been a (TV) movie about the events from a Canadian perspective.

I hate the beard trend for the men, and the dresses this year were very dull. Thank god for Quvenzhané Wallis and her puppy dog purses.

vCash
    I really liked Argo. I already knew the history, I remember watching the whole thing play out in the news. What I wasn't aware of was the Argo cover story so that was something new for me and I enjoyed it. Maybe because I'm not insecure about my national identity Zero Dark Thirty was the movie that had me rolling my eyes, thought it was as overrated as The Hurt Locker and find Bigelow a bit of a propagandist. Affleck on the other hand did a good job telling the story he wanted to tell. It may not have been the story some people expected or wanted but for the story he chose to tell I give him props for entertaining me.

vCash
    I'm happy for Ang Lee. "Pi" was the only Oscar nominated film that I saw this year. Although the film didn't connect with me on an emotional level, the technical feat that Ang pulled off making the film was just too amazing for the Academy members to ignore.

vCash
    Finally an Academy Award for Haneke. I can't believe none of his previous films got one (although that's probably partly due to the 'one film per country' rule).

Having said that "War Witch" is astounding and I'd have preferred if it had won.

As for all the other awards, who gives a shit it's all crap.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Congratulations to all the winners.
    I hope voters didn't pick Argo just to get back at the Academy for "snubbing" Affleck. Spite seems like a terrible reason for a movie to win.
    According to Nikki Finke, it's all decided by spite. Holy cow, that woman is jaded. I guess that's what years of reporting on the entertainment industry can do to a person . . .
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    1. I want a "Team Seth" shirt too, please. I thought he was a little rough in the beginning, but not nearly as bad as some of the worst reviews are claiming.

2. Joseph Gordon Levitt and Daniel Radcliffe (who I keep accidentally calling "Daniel Day-Radcliffe" now ) were adorable in that opening dance number.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

vCash
    I loved Dame Shirley, but I wish she had sung "Diamonds Are Forever" also.

vCash
    I totally thought Steven Spielberg was going to get the best director so many years after Saving Private Ryan before Ang Lee would get his second. Interestingly, Spielberg's two nominations since SPR were Munich and Lincoln, where both times he lost to Ang Lee!

Also for Argo, you can call it insecurity or whatever you want, but what irked me the most was that scene when Ben Affleck and the CIA were patting themselves on the back and said "we will let the Canadians take all the credit" meanwhile showing this clip of Canadian government official saying things like how the Canadian Government realized the importance of getting those hostages out and took the initiative of the operation to ensure their safety.

The movie basically said the Canadians were there to help but were ready to kick the 6 Americans out because the Iranians were onto them. Then after the masterful plan of the CIA and Hollywood was successful the Canadians were more than happy to take all the credits.

vCash
    My problem with Seth McFarlane is that it became a "showcase" for him, rather than a lead-in for what the emphasis should have been on: the awards and those involved in them.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Who's family was in the audience? I thought Lincoln didn't have any descendants left?!
    he doesnt which is my point. too many sacred cows in that audience. seth should have brought ricky gervais out.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast