Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 LastLast
    Beach Bum
    vCash
    I was laughing at the crude jokes at the beginning, but it quickly fell flat.

My favorite look was Jessica Chastain.

No opinion on the awards, haven't seen a single movie all year!
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Post Oscars interview with Jennifer Lawrence. Shows how to handle dumb questions from journalists.
    Last edited by Maofan7; 02-25-2013 at 04:28 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Eys, but that was long after he was in office, and it still seemed inappropriate IMO. Michelle Obama being inserted into the Best Picture nominee announcement seemed a bit too contrived and pushy. There was absolutely no need for it. Politicians (or their wives, especially one whose spouse is currently in office) have no place in these awards shows, period. That was a total turnoff.

How many of you would be that complimentary if it had been Laura Bush doing that?
    Well I'm not complimentary. I like Obama but I really don't like MO. But that has little to do with it - I thought it was terribly inappropriate & misplaced. What does FLOTUS have to do with the Oscars? It's like when GW Bush & Laura took part in American Idol's Idol Gives Back night. Attention hogs who grab the limelight in things that they had no input in give me a pain.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    he doesnt which is my point. too many sacred cows in that audience. seth should have brought ricky gervais out.
    God forbid!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Congratulations to all the winners.
    I hope voters didn't pick Argo just to get back at the Academy for "snubbing" Affleck. Spite seems like a terrible reason for a movie to win.
    Had Argo been undeserving of the honor, I would say it won just to get back at the Academy. However, long before any nominations (including GG) came out, I had seen Argo and I really liked it. I was able to compare it with most of the other good movies and came to the conclusion that I liked it better than Lincoln, SLP, Life of Pi, and later ZD30 (after it was finally released).

What I really liked about Argo was - 1)it created great suspense even though the outcome was known to all, 2)good balance between humor, fear, and other emotions, 3)well paced movie, 4)Tony Mendez's character was well portrayed.

When I saw Lincoln, I thought it would be an instant Oscar favorite. Later I saw Argo and thought that I enjoyed Argo much more.

It was not a coincidence IMO that Argo won so many awards before the Oscars. I am sure some people liked other movies better, but IMO Argo's win is very justifiable, and it can't be a "lets get back at the academy for the Director snub"

I have seen many undeserving movies win the Best Picture. This time there were more than one movies deserving of the honor (Argo, Lincoln, Life of Pi, and Zero Dark 30, IMO) and any of them would have been worthy of the BP award. However, I liked Argo the best. I am sure many voters felt the same way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I have seen many undeserving movies win the Best Picture.
    Shakespeare in Love anyone?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Well I'm not complimentary. I like Obama but I really don't like MO. But that has little to do with it - I thought it was terribly inappropriate & misplaced. What does FLOTUS have to do with the Oscars? It's like when GW Bush & Laura took part in American Idol's Idol Gives Back night. Attention hogs who grab the limelight in things that they had no input in give me a pain.
    Did Michelle ask the Oscars host to put her on the show or did he ask her to participate in it? I suspect it was the latter. You can't call her attention hog for it. Whether you like her or not, she is our first lady and she has not done anything to embarrass herself. She has handled her responsibilities well. Actually I have not seen even one first lady that did not handle her role well. The visibility comes with the territory, and you can't criticize HER for the invitation. I agree with the poster that wrote that it seemed contrived and there was no need for it. if anyone deserves criticism for it, is whoever asked her to do that part.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    Post Oscars interview with Jennifer Lawrence. Shows how to handle dumb questions from journalists.
    Even having read quotes from the "presser" previously I was still falling down laughing watching her. (See Seth, it is all in the delivery.)

As James P. said in his Time Mag review of the show: "She and Adele share that rare, disarming gift of making the world feel delighted for their own wild good fortune."

Read more: http://entertainment.time.com/2013/0...#ixzz2LvgpMjjF

ETA: JLaw & Nicholson in Good Morning America interview. "You look like an old GF." "Do I look like a new GF?" https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=WJmhsJ5T5L0
    Last edited by TalentedButHumble; 02-25-2013 at 04:58 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Shakespeare in Love anyone?

It particularly bothered me that a classic like Saving Private Ryan lost the BP award to a fluff like SIL.

vCash
    Loved Shakespeare In Love and GOOP. Private Ryan can go watch Crash or Braveheart.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Eys, but that was long after he was in office, and it still seemed inappropriate IMO. Michelle Obama being inserted into the Best Picture nominee announcement seemed a bit too contrived and pushy. There was absolutely no need for it. Politicians (or their wives, especially one whose spouse is currently in office) have no place in these awards shows, period. That was a total turnoff.

How many of you would be that complimentary if it had been Laura Bush doing that?
    Have to agree with you, it made me very uncomfortable. She looked lovely, probably more lovely than I've ever seen her. However, I don't think it was appropriate. Not saying she forced herself on the show, but she should have had declined. It felt tacky.

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post

Perhaps they're not as insecure about their own national identities.
    Actually, I remember lots of complaints from the UK and others about the movie "Enigma", which showed Americans cracking the WWll code, instead of the Brits, as actually happened.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Did Michelle ask the Oscars host to put her on the show or did he ask her to participate in it? I suspect it was the latter. You can't call her attention hog for it. Whether you like her or not, she is our first lady and she has not done anything to embarrass herself. She has handled her responsibilities well. Actually I have not seen even one first lady that did not handle her role well. The visibility comes with the territory, and you can't criticize HER for the invitation. I agree with the poster that wrote that it seemed contrived and there was no need for it. if anyone deserves criticism for it, is whoever asked her to do that part.
    Harvey Weinstein
    Never mess with a geocacher. We know the best places to hide a body....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TalentedButHumble View Post
    Even having read quotes from the "presser" previously I was still falling down laughing watching her. (See Seth, it is all in the delivery.)

As James P. said in his Time Mag review of the show: "She and Adele share that rare, disarming gift of making the world feel delighted for their own wild good fortune."

Read more: http://entertainment.time.com/2013/0...#ixzz2LvgpMjjF

ETA: JLaw & Nicholson in Good Morning America interview. "You look like an old GF." "Do I look like a new GF?" https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=WJmhsJ5T5L0
    Her reaction to Jack Nicholson was just priceless.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ssminnow View Post
    Jennifer Lawrence looks divine from the waist up. But the full body view of that dress reveals that she's going to her wedding, not the Oscars.
    What the camera did not pick up was that she was wearing pale pink and not white

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    She is so cute!

The Jack Nicholson encounter:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=WJmhsJ5T5L0

OMG, adorable! Can she host next Oscars, please?
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 02-25-2013 at 05:54 PM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Many of the dresses looked better under stage lighting than on the red carpet.
    I didn't like the trend toward unkempt/no hairstyles, either.

vCash
    Jennifer is like everyone's cute, ornery kid sister who is now coming into her own. You can't help but feel affection for her. I do hope that this all wasn't too much too soon. Otoh what if she never wins again? I wonder if she was the life of the "Vanity Fair" party.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    ? I wonder if she was the life of the "Vanity Fair" party.
    She got barely a mention in one review

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/osc...rty-2013-recap

vCash
    Random thoughts:

Anne Hathaway = what Rachel Berry's character is on GLEE (only not as successful as A.H.) Perky, overly earnest, talented, etc.

HATED all the pale dresses that do nothing but wash out the women. Either go classic black, classic white, or a jewel toned IMO

Seth McFarlane = grown-up looking Peter Brady.

Kristen Stewart = Kim Kardashian of the acting world. Insanly popular despite little talent. I had to laugh at those the wrote that she looked like she didn't want to be there. That's her perpetual expression. At least she's consistent.

Hugh Jackman is only getting better looking with age. Swoon!!!

The insertion of musicals like Chicago and Dreamgirls was completely nonsensical. Factor in that the telecast was produced by the people who produced Chicago, and you've got a self-serving, random menagerie of productions that are too recent to be considered classic, but too old to be relevent.

The Jaws play-off music was only funny once. Don't do it again.

Take a cue from "Wedding Crashers" toast rules, "Don't try to be funny. Be Heartfelt". They should ditch presenter "bits" altogether and just say something nice about the category they're presenting and get on with it.

The opening host number should be no longer than 7 minutes tops. That should be a rule going forward.

Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 LastLast