Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Michigan hospital sued over 'No African American Nurse for a baby- father's request'

This can happen even in the 21st century, when we have an African American president. Racism is very much alive.

A father of a newborn did not want an African American nurse for his baby, and the hospital honored his request, by not allowing their veteran African American nurse in the neonatal division to care for that baby. The hospital is facing a law suit, but it does not seem fair to me that the father of the baby gets off without a lawsuit.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/free/2...s-lawsuit.html

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    I'm not a fan of lawsuits - only the lawyers win.. I wish he could get some sort of community service whereby he has to give back to the community - better still the African American community Racism is alive and well - remember the little toddler who was slapped and called the 'N' word on the plane.. I hope he goes to jail..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

...an acquired taste
    vCash
    "Family-centered care" gone awry...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    it does not seem fair to me that the father of the baby gets off without a lawsuit.
    What should the father of the newborn be sued for? It's his right not to want African Americans to be around his newborn, and he has every right to make that request to the hospital. The hospital definitely could've/ should've refused the request.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    What should the father of the newborn be sued for? It's his right not to want African Americans to be around his newborn, and he has every right to make that request to the hospital. The hospital definitely could've/ should've refused the request.
    ^^ But then, in that case, maybe he needed to take his wife to a different hospital where the makeup of the nursing staff was more to his liking, even if they had to book a flight to Sweden or Norway. God forbid, if his wife's regular gynecologist was unavailable and the hospital provided a black-skinned doctor of East Indian ancestry or a fair-skinned doctor who just happened to be African-American.

I wonder whether the father of the newborn ever pitched a fit while dining in a restaurant where either the chef, the owner, the dishwashers or any of the waiters happened to be African-American.

vCash
    Mind-blowing.

I can't believe the hospital caved in to this man's request.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerpower View Post
    Mind-blowing.

I can't believe the hospital caved in to this man's request.
    I can, it's all about making the "customer" happy these days. Google "Press Ganey"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Really......totally true. It is the father's right to ask. (I wouldn't have had the courage to ask, even if I had the thought). I kinda think everyone is out of control. I can't believe the note in the chart.........but a lawsuit against the hospital? Really? Come on! It was one moron... I think if people like Al Sharpton didn't make his living from sensationalizing stupidity, we'd all be better off.

I can't imagine what was behind the hospital's logic. Might as well have put.........."sue us" on the chart.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Really AxleAnnie, if I said I don't want any Jews touching my baby, you're fine with that? How many steps is it then till we get to no blacks or Jews work in OUR hospital.

That is why there is a lawsuit.
    Figure skating is hard.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Honestly, this is no different than when a female patient refuses to be seen by a male doctor or refuses to let a male nurse or technologist do their mammogram or vaginal ultrasound. Or a male patient refuses to let a female do a prostate exam. Happens every day. Patient's have cultural and religious beliefs that impact their healthcare all the time. And, I suspect many of you would be appalled at the number of healthcare workers who refuse to treat certain patients. The hospital was stupid for documenting the issue. Nurses, doctors, technicians are reassigned for different reasons every day.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    One of my fellow Flamenco students is a massage therapist, and she told me that on occasion, the client will ask for a "real Canadian."

I bet her family has been in Quebec longer than their family has been in Canada.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I wouldn't be FINE with it but I wouldn't necessarily sue either. It makes me wonder what else is going on at that hospital. I suspect it's not an supportive environment and the nurses are already feeling aggrieved. I know when I feel jerked around at a job, I'm much less likely to give them the benefit of the doubt.

And, if I was the hospital, I would have put something like: "Father is racist. Therefore don't let any African American personal near the baby or he'll have a cow and we'll have to treat him too." on the chart. I also would have had some sort of meeting with the employees to explain we were humoring this jerk and that it wasn't about the quality of their work at all. This is assuming I didn't have the authority to tell the father to go take a long walk off a short pier, of course.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Honestly, this is no different than when a female patient refuses to be seen by a male doctor or refuses to let a male nurse or technologist do their mammogram or vaginal ultrasound. Or a male patient refuses to let a female do a prostate exam.
    Yes it is. Sex and race are different things. We have male and female bathrooms. We gave up black and white bathrooms years ago.
    Figure skating is hard.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    The hospital was stupid for documenting the issue. Nurses, doctors, technicians are reassigned for different reasons every day.
    Doesn't that depend on how long the mom and baby where in for? If the father was adamant that no one remotely dark looking be anywhere near his baby and the mom had a c-section or the baby was in NICU, it could be a while and it might have been harder to be discrete about it.

Or maybe they were just stupid.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Honestly, this is no different than when a female patient refuses to be seen by a male doctor or refuses to let a male nurse or technologist do their mammogram or vaginal ultrasound. Or a male patient refuses to let a female do a prostate exam. Happens every day. Patient's have cultural and religious beliefs that impact their healthcare all the time. And, I suspect many of you would be appalled at the number of healthcare workers who refuse to treat certain patients. The hospital was stupid for documenting the issue. Nurses, doctors, technicians are reassigned for different reasons every day.
    ^^ Ya think, rfisher??? I suppose they must live in a lily white community where they're planning to home school their child so as to avoid the possibility of having to sue the school district for possibly hiring African-American teachers, and not even just because such teachers might be dangerously allowed to teach their child necessarily, but just the specter of them walking anywhere on the premises near their child... Shudder!!! Horrors!!!%!@&$#!

So then, rfisher, I guess that means blatant prejudice is okay as long as it's conveniently kept under wraps and never documented or publicized.

I can see it now, the father of the newborn making the rounds of white-hosted talk shows, preferably on FOX network (fuggettabout dat scary Oprah) to discuss the relevancy, meaningfulness and saleability of his new book, Fear of a Black Nurse.

Blergh
    vCash
    I wonder how far this case can go.

It'd be one thing if the hospital has a history of racially-discriminatory practices, or if they were the ones that requested no African-American nurses be near that bigot's baby. However, since he was the one who requested it as an individual who has no real position of power over the employees, I don't know what the hospital could have done.

Maybe there's a case to be said that the hospital could have refused his request, but then we get into the question of whether that could have caused unneeded complications during labor and delivery, and then a hostile environment after the birth. However, I guess you can argue seeing that sign on the chart created a hostile work environment as well.

I do agree that this is distinguishable from sex. There are biologically sensitive reasons why one patient would be more comfortable being treated by a member of the same sex. Racial discrimination doesn't really pass the same test. Culture may come into play here, but I wonder how much weight that argument has. I guess it's a question of patient autonomy and if it stretches to racially-discriminatory reasons to reject care.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skipaway View Post
    I can, it's all about making the "customer" happy these days. Google "Press Ganey"
    I'm in Canada. I can't imagine it happening at a hospital here; our system is funded differently of course.

But still, to write "no African-American staff to provide care" or some such thing on a hospital chart - blatant racial discrimination - I wouldn't have expected that to be possible. I'm glad the nurse sued the hospital.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Wiki reports that according to the 2010 census

2010 census

As of the census[3] of 2010, there were 102,434 people, 40,472 households, and 23,949 families residing in the city. The population density was 3,065.1 inhabitants per square mile (1,183.4 /km2). There were 51,321 housing units at an average density of 1,535.6 per square mile (592.9 /km2). The racial makeup of the city was 37.4% White, 56.6% African American, 0.5% Native American, 0.5% Asian, 1.1% from other races, and 3.9% from two or more races.
    Must be tough for that man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flint,_...an#2010_census
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    No, of course I am not fine with that. It is horrid. BTW - there is some more to the story. The hospital denies honoring the request:
    Detroit Free Press

Rather, when the father showed a nursing supervisor his swastika tattoo, it “created anger and outrage in our staff,” Melany Gavulic, president and CEO, said in a written statement.

“This resulted in concern by supervisors for the safety of the staff. The father was informed that his request could not be granted,” the statement said.

Further, Hurley "has had a rich history and reputation of supporting and valuing diversity and remains committed to our policy of non-discrimination," Gavulic said.
    As I said, the guy was a moron. Just get him out of the place!

BTW - I am a Jew, and no, I would not like a hospital that said "no Jews" or "no blacks" or whatever. (I was picked up by Triple A once, and the driver had huge swastikas on his neck. I was actually terrified....and very happy that my Magen David necklace was tucked inside of my shirt.)

But I do agree that the guy had the right to ask. I think it will be interesting to see how this shakes out. I couldn't believe the hospital accepted the guy's request, and evidently, they didn't. Now, if the hospital had some kind of "policy" - white on white, Jews on Jews - that would be something different (in my opinion). A one-off..........not so much.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    One of my fellow Flamenco students is a massage therapist, and she told me that on occasion, the client will ask for a "real Canadian."

I bet her family has been in Quebec longer than their family has been in Canada.

I would think it might be to those clients' benefit to be more concerned about the expertise and professionalism of everyone on the staff where they are looking to receive a massage, rather than worrying about particular nationalities or skin color. But then most people in the world are unaware that the bodies we walk around in are just shells or vessels within which our true essences (spirits) reside for a short while, i.e., non-permanently. IOW, our bodies are not who we are. I know that's too heavy a concept to bother with pondering, so continue on.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast