Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    For Ladies, I would say -

1. Kim - distractions and a whole world of opportunity open to her outside of skating. She's already an Olympic Gold Medalist.
    2. Kostner - age and satisfaction of being a European and World Champ
    3. Ando - age and injuries. Already has satisfaction of being a World Champ x2
    4. Czisny - age
    5. Suzuki - by virtue of the fact that she's closing in on 30 yrs. old. ETA- confirmed retirement per post above
    6. Korpi - injuries.

Unsure about Asada - She is a World champ and Olympic Silver Medalist, but she is picking it up again later in her career a la Slutskaya, so she might want to push herself further.
    Men-

1. Takahashi - He was thinking of retirement back in 2010 already.
    2. Joubert - He was thinking of 2012 Worlds being his Swan Song.
    3. Verner - I think he has gone as far as he could possibly go.
    4. Abbott - Out with a whimper, not a bang.
    5. Plushenko - age
    6. Oda - per post above, confirmed retirement
    For Joubert, see below.

As for Asada and Takahashi: Asada has not made any announcement one way or the other as far as I know. Takahashi has already confirmed that he would retire after Sochi. In fact, he's stated that his plan was not to go to Worlds 2014 (if he's selected on the team of course - we all know how difficult the men's field is in Japan) even though they will take place in Japan. Also, he has announced that he thinks he will hang up the skating boots for good, i.e. not even do shows after retirement but focus on coaching and work on the rink issue in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    Somehow I don't see Brian Joubert retiring after 2014 unless he'd suddenly have strong competition at home that would seriously threaten his spot in the French team for Euros and Worlds. Joubert has recently said in an interview that he wants the gold in Sochi at any cost and since he feels he is still strong enough and competitive enough as to battle for the Olympic title with skaters who are quite a few years younger than him and so long as he can stay injury-free and can qualify for major competition, why would he want to quit the eligible ranks?
    Brian Joubert has already stated on French television earlier this season that he would retire from singles after Sochi (not sure whether that includes Worlds 2014 or not). He did however also state that he was interested in doing Pairs in the next Olympic cycle - he's gone as far as consult a Pairs coach and see if they could arrange trials with potential partners after Sochi, although he did not exclude retiring from the competition altogether

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rayhaneh View Post
    Brian Joubert has already stated on French television earlier this season that he would retire from singles after Sochi (not sure whether that includes Worlds 2014 or not). He did however also state that he was interested in doing Pairs in the next Olympic cycle - he's gone as far as consult a Pairs coach and see if they could arrange trials with potential partners after Sochi, although he did not exclude retiring from the competition altogether
    That's interesting. I remember him mentioning doing pairs back in the days when he was dating Marchei, but never thought he would actually go for it. I would be very curious to see how it turns out, however somehow I cannot see him giving up on his quads and sticking to the easy jumps.

vCash
    Brian talks about how hard skating is on his body. It's clear he enjoys it but you just can't keep up the pounding of the quads on your body into your 30s. Would be hot to see him do pairs and, um, interact with a female on the ice....

Duhamel and Radford will stay in if they stay healthy...unless they win gold or silver in Sochi, which is unlikely.
    MT/M may suffer a split with MT/M joining up with her boyfriend, Ian Beharry. There's a real scenario where a few pairs teams shuffle around for the next cycle. Jones could go to Marinaro who is expected to free up after 2014. Purich may go to Tran. Not sure what Paige and Rudi plan, but the next cycle for Canadian pairs will continue to be strong.

Chan? The talk about him wanting to do other things was before he got the quad and went on a world champ run. Now he wants to be the next Michelle Kwan and rack up world titles. I see him doing one more cycle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lauravvv View Post
    Why do you assume that they will stay until 2018? Robin Szolkowy is going to be 34 this year, and Aliona Savchenko is 29. So, that would be 38 and 34 in 2018. Would be possible if they are healthy (which is unlikely), but still very, very difficult.
    I am pretty sure the poster I was responding to was referring to the Shibutanis as his quote was all about dancers. I do agree Savchenko & Szolkowy are done after 2014. Heck the way they are dropping like flies the Shibutanis might be as well, but I think they will continue until 2018, although by then they might well not even make the U.S Olympic team. In any case I dont see in anyway the Shibutanis gaining momentum at the moment which is what the poster I responded to seemed to be infering, maybe they will have a turnaround and gain some in the future, but certainly none right now.

As for Chan I would be very surprised if he continues after 2014 win or lose.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by easilydistracte View Post
    I'm confused--did olympic refer to Robin & Aliona [Sav/Szol] or Maia & Alex [Shib/Shib] when mentioning "S/S"? All the other teams mentioned in that particular post are ice dance teams, right?

Thanks for the clarification.
    Yes, JudgeJudy and easilydistrated. I was referring to the Shibs. I think they are slowly building back from last year, but that is JMHO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    Brian talks about how hard skating is on his body. It's clear he enjoys it but you just can't keep up the pounding of the quads on your body into your 30s. Would be hot to see him do pairs and, um, interact with a female on the ice....
    Yes, it would be nice to see it. But the pairs skating seems to be so difficult, I'm not sure if he would qualify for big competitions because the French have decent pairs right now. Unless they retire after Sochi, too.

vCash
    Yes, JudgeJudy and easilydistrated. I was referring to the Shibs. I think they are slowly building back from last year, but that is JMHO.
    Sorry for not getting that . I guess when I see S/S on this forum, Savchenko/Szolkowy are the first ones that come to mind regardless of context.

vCash
    Thanks. I kind of figured they're who you meant given the context, but wanted to make sure. I'd be surprised--though not shocked--if Shib/Shib decided to retire prior to 2018, due to their youth. As to Sav/Szol, I would not be surprised if they either retired after Sochi or decided to continue to 2018. However, I seem to recall them saying after Vancouver that they would be taking things year by year, depending on their health. Whatever anyone decides, I hope that all the skaters not do anything to jeopardize their health. And, if any skater(s) gets to the point where the skating is not enjoyable anymore, then by all means I hope they follow their hearts and go ahead and pursue other interests.

Quote Originally Posted by rayhaneh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    That's interesting. I remember him mentioning doing pairs back in the days when he was dating Marchei, but never thought he would actually go for it. I would be very curious to see how it turns out, however somehow I cannot see him giving up on his quads and sticking to the easy jumps.
    I actually find the thought of Joubert skating pairs rather intriguing; however, he'd need to find a rather short pair girl, wouldn't he? Unless he wants to be the one who's thrown and lifted. If that's the case, then that pairing could possibly have throw 4Sal right away, couldn't they?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234