Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I do see P/B, the Russian couples, S/S, C/L, C/B all staying on though. They are all gaining momentum.
    Fabian Bourzat turned 32 and Nathalie Pechalat 29 this past December: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00004833.htm
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Fabian Bourzat turned 32 and Nathalie Pechalat 29 this past December: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00004833.htm
    In light of that info, I wonder if Fabien's injury is the start of the wear-and-tear associated with being on the ice for so many years? Still, they made a move up the rankings these past couple of years. It seems like if they can remain injury free, they would continue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    Really? You may be the first person to suggest that possibility. I think they're in it to make a run for a second Olympic Gold.
    I really do hope they stay, but I have been hearing whisperings... Tessa really just isn't that into it anymore. I had heard that they intended to retire after the Vancouver Olympics, (Actually, Chan (yes, Patrick Chan, not even 20 at the time) as well but I think he had more of a motivation to keep going since he didn't medal/win in Vancouver) and I'm sure Skate Canada pushed them to stay. Though, this is not from the mainstream media, but the whisperings around the rink and such... no one knows for sure!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ltnskater View Post
    I really do hope they stay, but I have been hearing whisperings... Tessa really just isn't that into it anymore. I had heard that they intended to retire after the Vancouver Olympics, (Actually, Chan (yes, Patrick Chan, not even 20 at the time) as well but I think he had more of a motivation to keep going since he didn't medal/win in Vancouver) and I'm sure Skate Canada pushed them to stay. Though, this is not from the mainstream media, but the whisperings around the rink and such... no one knows for sure!
    It wouldn't surprise me at all. Especially with what happened at 4ccs, it seems like her leg problems are back. Maybe she can't manage it, physically, anymore.
    Last edited by Rafter; 02-25-2013 at 10:25 PM.

vCash
    I think C/L will stay to win a medal at Worlds.B/S the same probably if they don't medal in Sochi..I/K may leave if they medal in Sochi but then again they're very very young and never stated anything on the matter.
    W/P will probably stick around for a chance to win as well.
    I expect P/B to stay for 2014 Worlds for a chance to win,but then again this is ice dancing and a lot will depend on this year's World's results.But for sure it's not going to be like Vancouver with the top two teams staying for the next Olympics.This Olympic circle we just had at least two generations of ice dancers competing.
    Last edited by zotza; 02-26-2013 at 12:22 AM.

vCash
    Any way you look at it a lot of skaters and teams that have been around for nearly a decade will finally hang it up.

vCash
    S and S will probably skate until 2018 but I fail to see what in what way they are gaining momentum.

vCash
    Somehow I don't see Brian Joubert retiring after 2014 unless he'd suddenly have strong competition at home that would seriously threaten his spot in the French team for Euros and Worlds. Joubert has recently said in an interview that he wants the gold in Sochi at any cost and since he feels he is still strong enough and competitive enough as to battle for the Olympic title with skaters who are quite a few years younger than him and so long as he can stay injury-free and can qualify for major competition, why would he want to quit the eligible ranks?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    S and S will probably skate until 2018 but I fail to see what in what way they are gaining momentum.
    Why do you assume that they will stay until 2018? Robin Szolkowy is going to be 34 this year, and Aliona Savchenko is 29. So, that would be 38 and 34 in 2018. Would be possible if they are healthy (which is unlikely), but still very, very difficult.
    Last edited by lauravvv; 02-26-2013 at 07:30 PM.

vCash
    S/S will retire for sure. Robin is already the oldest skater currently competing and I don't think they can remain in competitive skating forever. They already have a bunch of World titles, so there's no point in staying after Sochi just to try for more, and they will certainly be too old for 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    Somehow I don't see Brian Joubert retiring after 2014 unless he'd suddenly have strong competition at home that would seriously threaten his spot in the French team for Euros and Worlds. Joubert has recently said in an interview that he wants the gold in Sochi at any cost and since he feels he is still strong enough and competitive enough as to battle for the Olympic title with skaters who are quite a few years younger than him and so long as he can stay injury-free and can qualify for major competition, why would he want to quit the eligible ranks?
    He's more realistic about his prospects at Worlds. I do hope he can win a medal via the team competition (also because I love Team France in general), but I can't imagine him getting on the podium in the men's event.

Anyway, Joubert will not continue post-Sochi. He's said numerous times that he's going to retire after one last go at the Olympics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lauravvv View Post
    Why do you assume that they will stay until 2018? Robin Szolkowy is going to be 34 this year, and Aliona Savchenko is 29. So, that would be 38 and 34 in 2018. Would be possible if they are healthy, but still very, very difficult.
    I don't know why people think skaters can't stay a year or two after the Olympics and still compete if they want to or are healthy? There is nothing that says you need to retire after the Olympic year, retirements and partner switching happens all the time.

S/S may lose their fire to compete but they have never mentioned retiring after 2014, if fact the pair who did was P/T.

Sometimes skaters just like to compete.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    I don't know why people think skaters can't stay a year or two after the Olympics and still compete if they want to or are healthy? There is nothing that says you need to retire after the Olympic year, retirements and partner switching happens all the time.

S/S may lose their fire to compete but they have never mentioned retiring after 2014, if fact the pair who did was P/T.
    A year, or two (which is not impossible in S/S case) is not the same as until 2018 (a whole Olympic cycle).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lauravvv View Post
    A year, or two (which is not impossible in S/S case) is not the same as until 2018 (a whole Olympic cycle).
    That's my point, they don't have to wait until another Olympics comes and go they can retire in 2016 if they want, anyone can.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    Brian seriously needs to open those beautiful eyes and realize it's not 2007 anymore. His best shot at Olympics was in Torino and he blew it. In Vancouver he still had some chances but it ended up a disaster. Now I understand how much he must want this Olympic medal (probably the only one he still doesn't have), but lets face it, the Games have defeated him big time. He even admitted it himself after Vancouver. I could bet his 4th place in Nice is the best he can do in the World at the moment and with the rise of guys like Hanyu and Fernandez, still having Takahashi and Chan around plus a bunch of other younger guys, Joubert will be lucky to finish in the top 5.

I believe his career was over the moment he didn't medal at Europeans for the first time ever last year. Plus, as much as I used to think he was exciting to watch back in his best days, right now watching him became just painful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    I could bet his 4th place in Nice is the best he can do in the World at the moment and with the rise of guys like Hanyu and Fernandez, still having Takahashi and Chan around plus a bunch of other younger guys, Joubert will be lucky to finish in the top 5
    So if you don't finish in the top 5 at worlds you should hang it up? There's going to be a lot less skaters to watch considering only a handful can accomplish that feat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    So if you don't finish in the top 5 at worlds you should hang it up? There's going to be a lot less skaters to watch considering only a handful can accomplish that feat.

I mean this particular skater in his particular situation. We're talking about a guy who's won more medals and competed internationally the longest of all of them currently out there, a guy who still believes he can medal at Olympics. And I'm not saying he should hang it up, if he's ok with finishing outside world's top 5 or 10 then cool, let him have his fun and compete, just saying his image of the current situation and his own chances is totally inadequate. I don't like to clip wings, but the truth is he's not the youngest anymore, his body is probably tired after so many years of landing quads and he will probably get worse, not better with time (he already does).

Besides, believe it or not, I am actually a fan of his, used to be obsessed about him in my teenage years and seing him struggle is sad and painful to me. I just don't want to see his Olympic dream crushed again and most likely this is what's gonna happen. Although I do wish him all the best and hey, I guess if I'd ever have any shot at competeing at Olympics, I would go for it without blinking, so I get this Olympic desire of his. I just... miss the old Brian and am aware he's not coming back.

vCash
    The judging seems to be moving back towards rewarding big jumps so I think Brian stands a good chance to medal if he skates well.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I do see P/B, the Russian couples, S/S, C/L, C/B all staying on though. They are all gaining momentum.
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I'm confused--did olympic refer to Robin & Aliona [Sav/Szol] or Maia & Alex [Shib/Shib] when mentioning "S/S"? All the other teams mentioned in that particular post are ice dance teams, right?

Thanks for the clarification.
    Last edited by easilydistracte; 02-26-2013 at 10:30 PM. Reason: spelling

vCash
    Ladies are going to take a big hit after Sochi! So many veterans of the decade will likely hang up their skates. Of course there is plenty of up and coming talent, but imagine a worlds with no Kim, Koster, or Asada with many other big names gone (ie Suzuki)

vCash
    I can see P/B competing at worlds 2014 after olympics if V/M D/W retire after olympics as they would be hot favs for gold if they get the bronze at olympics.Maybe if they get the olympic bronze they will be happy with that as they have had a long career.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast