Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Add Chan to this list. He will most likely be done after 2014 as well. Anyone want to wager that V/M are going to be gone before the 2014 olympics in Sochi? (Meaning they will retire after worlds in their hometown this year), especially if they win? (I would like to think and hope that it is a very unlikely possibility...)

On a time traveling circus... with ice dancing?
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    Huh? Anna is 26 and Luca will be 28. They will be 31 and 35 at the 2018 Games.
    Well, 31 and 33. That's not so old for ice dancing. I don't know that they'd do a third Olympics, but they'd probably want to be around long enough to challenge for World bronze, at least. I sort of feel like they only got their second wind and they'd like to have it for at least another season, if not two.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ltnskater View Post
    Anyone want to wager that V/M are going to be gone before the 2014 olympics in Sochi?
    Really? You may be the first person to suggest that possibility. I think they're in it to make a run for a second Olympic Gold.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Suzuki and Oda have both confirmed their retirement after Sochi (well, Oda hopes to make it to Worlds 2014 as well since they will take place in Saitama)

From the last I've heard, Kozuka hasn't decided yet whether to stop or continue for another olympic cycle

vCash
    I think Valentina Marchei and the Austrian skaters Viktor Pfeiffer and Kerstin Frank might retire after the olympic season. With the upcoming talent in the ladies I also assume Alena Leonova might compete her last season in 2014.

vCash
    Would be cool if Yuna competed in 2018 olympics. The atmosphere would be amazing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    Would be cool if Yuna competed in 2018 olympics. The atmosphere would be amazing
    She may actually do this - a la Plushenko in Sochi (if that actually happens)

vCash
    With no pro opportunities- other than skating in shows- I think a lot of the skaters will stick around as long as they feel physically capable of handling the rigors of competitive skating. However, I more or less agree with the lists in the OP. The only exception could be Yu na Kim.

vCash
    I think the following will retire:

Pairs- Savchenko & Szolkowy, Hao Zhang, Pang & Tong, maybe all of the top U.S pairs. I think even if they win gold Volosozhar & Trankov will stay in.

Men- Chan, Takahashi, Oda, Lysacek, Plushenko, Abbott, Weir, possibly Kozuka.

Ladies- I have a feeling Kim will come back at some point even if she wins her 2nd gold in Sochi. Asada I have a feeling will hang around longer too. Kostner and Ando definitely done. Rochette done. Suzuki done. Wagner, Zawadzki, and Gao I see staying around longer, but I see Nagasu, Flatt, Czisny, and Zhang all retiring at that point if some havent already.

Dance- I see Virtue & Moir retiring. Not sure on Davis & White, but 65% chance atleast they go pro too. Pechalat & Bourzat might stay 1 more year but no way do they stay for 2018.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    She may actually do this - a la Plushenko in Sochi (if that actually happens)
    You mean a la Plushenko in Vancouver. If it happens, Sochi will be his 4th Olympic Games. It will be Yu-Na's 2nd.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    You mean a la Plushenko in Vancouver. If it happens, Sochi will be his 4th Olympic Games. It will be Yu-Na's 2nd.
    I think Vash meant in the sense that Plushenko stuck around for another cycle primarily to compete in the Olympics being held in his home country.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ltnskater View Post
    Add Chan to this list. He will most likely be done after 2014 as well. Anyone want to wager that V/M are going to be gone before the 2014 olympics in Sochi? (Meaning they will retire after worlds in their hometown this year), especially if they win? (I would like to think and hope that it is a very unlikely possibility...)
    Really? I wouldn't think Chan would retire.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by johndockley92 View Post
    Really? I wouldn't think Chan would retire.
    Chan has spoken publicly about wanting to do other things besides skate, so it wouldn't surprise me if he retired after Sochi, especially if he won the gold, but maybe even if he doesn't.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    With no pro opportunities- other than skating in shows- I think a lot of the skaters will stick around as long as they feel physically capable of handling the rigors of competitive skating. However, I more or less agree with the lists in the OP. The only exception could be Yu na Kim.
    True. If there is still a desire to skate might as well skate and compete because skating as Pro really doesnt' exist and shows are fewer.

vCash
    As much as I hate to think about it, I am pretty sure Patrick will retire. He's said as much. And V/M will probably too. That's why I'm trying to go to as many comps as I can before Olys!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by personwhoishere View Post
    I think Vash meant in the sense that Plushenko stuck around for another cycle primarily to compete in the Olympics being held in his home country.
    yes, that's what I meant (home country)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by circuscandy View Post
    Well, 31 and 33. That's not so old for ice dancing. I don't know that they'd do a third Olympics, but they'd probably want to be around long enough to challenge for World bronze, at least. I sort of feel like they only got their second wind and they'd like to have it for at least another season, if not two.
    Yep, I think they are probably going to stay a couple of more seasons after Sochi, they said that in an interview too IIRC
    A grumpy Canadian will always be nicer than a polite Milanese

vCash
    For Ladies, I would say -

1. Kim - distractions and a whole world of opportunity open to her outside of skating. She's already an Olympic Gold Medalist.
    2. Kostner - age and satisfaction of being a European and World Champ
    3. Ando - age and injuries. Already has satisfaction of being a World Champ x2
    4. Czisny - age
    5. Suzuki - by virtue of the fact that she's closing in on 30 yrs. old. ETA- confirmed retirement per post above
    6. Korpi - injuries.

Unsure about Asada - She is a World champ and Olympic Silver Medalist, but she is picking it up again later in her career a la Slutskaya, so she might want to push herself further.

Men-

1. Takahashi - He was thinking of retirement back in 2010 already.
    2. Joubert - He was thinking of 2012 Worlds being his Swan Song.
    3. Verner - I think he has gone as far as he could possibly go.
    4. Abbott - Out with a whimper, not a bang.
    5. Plushenko - age
    6. Oda - per post above, confirmed retirement

I think we'll finally stop hearing tales about 'comebacks' from either Weir or Lysacek, if that counts as retirement.

Pairs

1. Pang/Tong - age and injuries. It's just finally time for even the Chinese Fed to let them go.
    2. Savchenko/Szolkowy - on the fence, but they are multiple European and World Champs, as well as Olympic medalists. I think if they finish higher at Sochi than Vancouver, they will retire.

Ice Dance

1. Virtue/Moir - can't stay on top forever
    2. Davis/White - ditto

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    1. Virtue/Moir - can't stay on top forever
    2. Davis/White - ditto
    You could have said this about others as well, but you chose to say this about them. Why not mention their accomplishments and that they want to do other things in life outside skating instead?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lauravvv View Post
    You could have said this about others as well, but you chose to say this about them. Why not mention their accomplishments and that they want to do other things in life outside skating instead?
    Time was short and that's all I put. Believe me, I'm not dissing them.

I do see P/B, the Russian couples, S/S, C/L, C/B all staying on though. They are all gaining momentum.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast