Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    Hmm, several school districts have instituted personal finance coursework in order to graduate. They did that here. You can test out of it if you don't want to lose a semester course slot. But at least IME, it's becoming more and more common for districts to have some type of personal finance graduation requirement.
    PERSONAL FINANCE COURSES IN HIGH SCHOOLS ON THE RISE - See more at: http://www.nefe.org/press-room/news/....53q0AGd7.dpuf

A Step Backwards in Spreading Financial Literacy

Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Let's start a thread on how to wash dishes. I bet that will be uncontroversial.
    There will be

All we need in an honest, non-PC skater quote to get us started.

Quote Originally Posted by ItalianFan View Post
    I'm finding we have a lot of common ground Prancer. Firstly you are exactly right on how to wash a fork.I too have a fetish about dishwashing. I wash them before I put them into the dishwasher...honest! But the pots and pans I wash only by hand, twice, otherwise they don't really smell clean to me.
    Pots and pans smell funky coming out of the dishwasher but I am too lazy to wash by hand them just for that.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    You can't wash pots and pans in the dishwasher! Or knives. Don't believe that nonsense about putting the non-stick pans in the dishwasher. It will ruin the finish. They must be handwashed.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    I just throw out my dishes, utensils, pots and pans after using them, and buy new ones when I'm ready to eat again ...

O-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    I just throw out my dishes, utensils, pots and pans after using them, and buy new ones when I'm ready to eat again ...

O-
    OMG! Another forum I'm in did a poll about this and about 10% of the Americans who responded -always- use paper plates and plastic utensils and throw them away. No one from another country reported doing that (it is a pretty international forum). A number of Americans also said they did this temporarily during times of great stress (death in the family, major illness).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    OMG! Another forum I'm in did a poll about this and about 10% of the Americans who responded -always- use paper plates and plastic utensils and throw them away. No one from another country reported doing that (it is a pretty international forum). A number of Americans also said they did this temporarily during times of great stress (death in the family, major illness).
    I was kidding ...

(But if they make paper pots and pans, I'll be right on board with that! )

O-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    You can't wash pots and pans in the dishwasher! Or knives. Don't believe that nonsense about putting the non-stick pans in the dishwasher. It will ruin the finish. They must be handwashed.
    You can was SOME pots and pans in the dishwasher. If they aren't non-stick or cast iron (cast iron really shouldn't be 'washed' per se). I don't own any non-stick pots, I didn't even know they made them (just pans).

We put our butter knives in the dishwasher and our crappy steak knives that are like 10 years old, but never our good knives!

vCash
    I was kidding ...

O-
    I know- I'm just reporting there is sadly truth in this. The OMG was to other people doing it, not you doing it. Your post sounded like a joke.

vCash
    Yes, exactly what I was saying. I was responding to dinakt's sweeping generalization: "I'd always choose local and organic, it tastes better. And it is not right that the US does not do that."

Well, the U.S. *does* do that in some places -- where I live, for example. I never said all places. In fact, I said to the contrary that every place is different and every person is different.

Leonova obviously lives in a place that has no fresh food ... anywhere ...

O-
    I am sorry I phrased my sentence so badly that it can be understood as meaning exactly the opposite of what I tried to say. "It's not right that..."- I did not mean to generalize about the US, I meant "It is not a right opinion that..." etc; if you read my next sentence I clarify:
    In our Ohio- provinces- neck-of-the-woods there is a fantastic Farmer's Market year- round. It does take extra effort and extra money though.
    I am darn proud of my local farmer's market. Those small farmers truly work for the love of the land and not money, because they do not make much ( there's a sweeping generalization for you)). Buyers and vendors talk to each other. I love knowing where my spinach or eggs come from and who makes them. My point was that I am not on the Coasts, and ability to buy local and organic is not limited to East/West coast. There is progress that way.
    Last edited by dinakt; 03-01-2013 at 09:14 PM.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Cooking with raw meat isn't that big of a deal. I do it probably 5 nights a week. Just be careful to wash everything (including your hands) the meat touches in hot soapy water. Then wash your sink. And always change (or wash) cooking utensils once the meat is cooked before putting the utensils in the pan or using them for serving. I have a ceramic knife I use for cutting meat and special cutting boards (not the wood ones I use for everything else).
    Creating drama!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post

Did you grow up with a dishwasher?
    I did; I took it for granted and now I cannot believe what I have lost. The sad thing is...I am only being somewhat tongue in cheek in writing that

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I wonder where Puerto Rico ranked in this (maybe lumped in with the U.S.). A lot of restaurants -even sit down ones- use disposables. Drives me crazy.

vCash
    And confirmation yet again that Patrick Chan likes his food familiar and non-Russian. No word on how he does his dishes, though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elka_sk8 View Post
    I wonder where Puerto Rico ranked in this (maybe lumped in with the U.S.). A lot of restaurants -even sit down ones- use disposables. Drives me crazy.
    This was at HOME they were only using disposables. We didn't discuss restaurants.

Though I can't recall anyone on that thread being from Puerto Rico. Mostly US, Canada, UK, Western Europe (Germany, Norway, Sweden, France being the big ones), Australia, anda few South Americans.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    I am sorry I phrased my sentence so badly that it can be understood as meaning exactly the opposite of what I tried to say. "It's not right that..."- I did not mean to generalize about the US, I meant "It is not a right opinion that..." etc; if you read my next sentence I clarify:
    In our Ohio- provinces- neck-of-the-woods there is a fantastic Farmer's Market year- round. It does take extra effort and extra money though.
    I am darn proud of my local farmer's market. Those small farmers truly work for the love of the land and not money, because they do not make much ( there's a sweeping generalization for you)). Buyers and vendors talk to each other. I love knowing where my spinach or eggs come from and who makes them. My point was that I am not on the Coasts, and ability to buy local and organic is not limited to East/West coast. There is progress that way.
    I knew exactly what you meant, but that may be because I am also an Ohioan and have easy access to organic and local foods, even in my small burg.

Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    And confirmation yet again that Patrick Chan likes his food familiar and non-Russian. No word on how he does his dishes, though.
    Provincial!
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    My sister must have subscribed to this method for washing silverware -- when we shared a house back in college, I did a lot of re-washing the forks after her turn to do the dishes -- pulling a "clean" fork out of the silverware drawer to find all sorts of residue on the tines happened all too frequently.
    No, no, NO! I am so misunderstood!

After they soak, you pull them out one by one and wipe them with your dish rag (never a sponge). But by now all the heavy gunk is off them and many times they are sparkling clean already so the wiping is just a formality.

You must do the glasses first though and before you put other things in the water. Otherwise, the dirt from the other dishes and stuff will make your glasses all streaky.

So, it goes... fill with clean, hot water and soap. Wash glasses. Put in silverware. Start washing dishes. Finish silverware. Do the pots and pans last because those are nasty and will make everything else nasty.

DON'T YOU PEOPLE KNOW ANYTHING
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    So, it goes... fill with clean, hot water and soap. Wash glasses. Put in silverware. Start washing dishes. Finish silverware. Do the pots and pans last because those are nasty and will make everything else nasty.
    That's exactly how I was taught, even if I wasn't allowed to practice.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    That's exactly how I was taught, even if I wasn't allowed to practice.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

snarking for AZE
    vCash

O-
    my friend corinne buys a george foreman grill once a month, wipes it off doesnt wash it, throws it out then replaces it one month later.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    my friend corinne buys a george foreman grill once a month, wipes it off doesnt wash it, throws it out then replaces it one month later.
    money to burn

vCash
    Won't someone think of those without dishwashers? How are we to correctly wash our forks?
    Yes, please think of us poor and deprived souls with no dishwashers to call our own.

Since leaving home for college decades ago, I have never lived in an apartment or house that had a dishwasher -- except for me! And while I was at home, our dishwasher was "waiting for repair" for all of my high school years (it functioned as a mega-sized junk drawer, much like mlp's microwave/mail caddy ), and I routinely got stuck with washing the dinner dishes for our family of seven. Doing them for just myself now is nothing compared to that.
    I've never lived in a house that had a dishwasher. At times growing up, we were happy to have food and a roof over our heads . And now I just never think about it when I move to a new place. I actually just moved 2 weeks ago and my new landlady felt awful that there is no dishwasher for me. She's sweet, but it's just me, how many dishes can one person accumulate?

Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast