Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I have never met anyone who cannot cook, either male or female. How is it possible?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    This is a problem with only reading the last page of a long thread. You really don't know the thread evolution. This hasn't been about Leonova since probably page 2 and this in fact has been mentioned multiple times to explain to other posters such as yourself who didn't read the entire thread before questioning why people were saying what they said and, will sadly, happen multiple more times as new people read the last page only.
    I belong to another forum that requires you have read the previous 15 pages before posting in a thread. If you post a question about something that was already brought up in those pages you can be 'warned' which leads to banning. (They have overly strict rules about a lot of things though.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    I have never met anyone who cannot cook, either male or female. How is it possible?
    I guess it depends on what you consider 'can cook'. I 'can cook', if you want to eat something really simple like spaghetti. I can generally follow recipes for things I haven't made before. But I find zero enjoyment in it, and I have no ability to create outside a recipe because of my limited understanding of ingredients and their interactions.

Also, I refuse to handle raw meat.

On the other hand, my husband can cook. He really loves doing it- he can look at a fridge of ingredients and just -make- something. He has baked enough bread that he can make variations without using a recipe. He can select spices that go well together to make a new rub for a meat without being told what will taste good together, he knows how to butcher meat to get the best cuts. I can't do any of that.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I *can* cook. I just choose not to.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    Really? I remember my first year at University and finding most people couldn't cook and everyone learning together (my mother had shown me 3 or 4 things and besides that i had no clue).

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kosjenka View Post
    Oh please! You LOVED your pork week in Zagreb
    I did! I did! That was some of the best pork and bacon I've ever had. Yum. But, as breakfast club (and now we know she's alive, that's good) pointed out, I was in a hotel and rink and a few restaurants so I wasn't buying and cooking my own food. Living on hotel/restaurant food can get old and restricted anywhere.

In Israel, I spent Shabbat with an old friend who lives way up north in a small city tourists don't visit. She cooked dinner for me and it was just luscious -- partially because it was just a home-cooked meal.

And my ex-husband has not cooked himself a meal since we split almost five years ago. He lives on sandwiches and takeout lasagna from the nearby Italian deli. I'm surprised he is still alive but he stubbornly refuses to learn to cook.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    I L O V E T H I S T H R E A D ! ! !

O-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post

People who don't read the thread and the announce that as they post their thoughts on a thread with hundreds of posts should be shot!
    Geez Louise!Shoot me then And i did read all the pages ....3 days ago when the thread was still young i just din't excpect http://whatscookinggrandma.humanbeans.net/ curve

vCash
    I don't think I live in the USA. My grandmother cooked, my mother cooks, and I cook. My kids have Home Economics in school. AND, I teach them how to cook. I have SIDEWALKS in my town. And my very own garden..with fruit trees even! What is this place I call home?
    Team Peeps!

vCash
    Well, are your ingredients and food processed? Have you ever tasted what chicken really tastes like? Have you ever had a "real" banana? Have you ever eaten un sandwich au fromage from a regular corner store that was simply incredible and no similar place in New York City can match? If the answer to to these questions are no, then you're still in the U.S.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Have you ever had a "real" banana?
    I'm sticking to my story. That banana in Mexico was NOTHING like any banana I've ever had here in the United States.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    The best fruit I have ever had in my life was blood oranges in Italy. Served with vanilla ice cream. I still when I think of that dessert 13 years ago.

Since then, I've bought blood oranges, blood orange marmalade and blood orange olive oil in the U.S. And none of them come close to what I had in Italy. So yeah, either I was suffering from Honeymoon In Italy Delusion or produce really tastes different in different places.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    You know someone probably told Leonova that she is currently the "hot topic" on FSU and she is probably beaming with pride. Any publicity is good publicity! I'm still relevant, yay!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    Since then, I've bought blood oranges, blood orange marmalade and blood orange olive oil in the U.S. And none of them come close to what I had in Italy. So yeah, either I was suffering from Honeymoon In Italy Delusion or produce really tastes different in different places.
    Sure it does. And I'm sure the US has the best tasting produce-of-some-type in the world! Although it is probably iceberg lettuce or something.
    Creating drama!

vCash
    Bacon avocados in Southern Cal (grown in Carpenteria) are the best avos I've ever had anywhere. The best bananas I ever had were in St. John U.S.V.I., which, btw, is part of the United States

O-

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vivika1982 View Post
    Geez Louise!Shoot me then
    We need a shooting emoticon. How about ? Is that okay?

Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    Bacon avocados in Southern Cal (grown in Carpenteria) are the best avos I've ever had anywhere. The best bananas I ever had were in St. John U.S.V.I., which, btw, is part of the United States
    Wait. There are BACON avocados? Do they taste like bacon? Or avocados?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffisjeff View Post
    Sure it does. And I'm sure the US has the best tasting produce-of-some-type in the world! Although it is probably iceberg lettuce or something.
    Haven't we already established that the Jersey Tomato is the food of the Gods and not to be replicated elsewhere.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I belong to another forum that requires you have read the previous 15 pages before posting in a thread. If you post a question about something that was already brought up in those pages you can be 'warned' which leads to banning. (They have overly strict rules about a lot of things though.)
    I rather like this idea. Just think of all the people I could ban.

Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    This is a problem with only reading the last page of a long thread. You really don't know the thread evolution. This hasn't been about Leonova since probably page 2
    Not so! Every couple of pages, someone jumps in to tell us (AGAIN!) that they don't understand why it's such a big deal that Leonova doesn't like the food, that she doesn't have a car and doesn't speak the language well and misses her boyfriend, that she has probably been eating rink food, that she probably doesn't cook and it's hard to eat well in the US if you don't cook and spend every moment of your spare time and all your money seeking the elusive FRESH! and organic food, AND that it's just darn refreshing to read something a skater says that isn't all fake and PC, by which people apparently mean that negative feelings are honest and positive ones are LIES!

Quote Originally Posted by Badams View Post
    I don't think I live in the USA. My grandmother cooked, my mother cooks, and I cook. My kids have Home Economics in school. AND, I teach them how to cook. I have SIDEWALKS in my town. And my very own garden..with fruit trees even! What is this place I call home?
    Italy?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffisjeff View Post
    That is all we grow here, so what else could it be?
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post

That is all we grow here, so what else could it be?
    We grow some nice pigs here in Iowa. Oh, pork isn't produce, never mind.
    Our corn is also quite delicious.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    We grow some nice pigs here in Iowa. Oh, pork isn't produce, never mind.
    It is according to a couple of "vegetarians" I know.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    My problem with American conception of "a meal": 1. A salad is in no circumstance a "meal". 2. A sandwich is in no circumstance a "meal". 3. Spaghetti with some readymade tomato sauce is in no circumstance a "meal" and cooking that is in no circumstance "cooking". 4. Anything frozen for more than three days should not be for human consumption, period.

Speaking of, I quite used to like American diners because of endless nasty coffee refills, and I would always order either breakfast or a liver dish. It's the only thing that isn't as bland as Leonova's skating. I'm not even as much as a big food person as my country people (the only thing we Chinese really care about is food). Even I find American food dehumanizing beyond belief. One of my American ex-boyfriends used to eat cereal all day for breakfast lunch and dinner. I personally don't like cooking at all, and now that I don't live in the U.S. anymore, I don't, but there was a period I went to overpriced Chinese supermarkets way more often than I want to.

Anyway...at least I did mention the word Leonova once.

Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast