Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

vCash
    I dont get why would anyones opinion of any place on the Earth be cause to offense.
    So a Russian girl does not like living conditions she had in grand old US of A.

My questions to all of you frowning - why are offended by this honesty and bluntness? This skater - whoever, has nothing to do with what quality of life is or can be in USA. The fact you visit some country or are there for work, does not mean you have to like it or pretend it is something you like. The fact that here are non Americans not liking the life in America show that they are different and what is bad about that?

The biggest problem seems to be that Leonova was honest and detailed with her opinions. Something one rarely gets to hear or read from any US skater. But there are other ways to appreciate them.
    Or not.

Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    But in Croatia for Euros I took to making cracks about living on bread and pork, I barely saw a fruit or green vegetable for a week.
    Oh please! You LOVED your pork week in Zagreb

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    There are some things I still get from the Russian deli, namely, Russian style sauerkraut, you know the crunchy kind, not the limp rude Amerikan kind and those walnut shaped cookies with sweet condensed milk inside (those are a rare treat--there is no nutritional info on the package but I can imagine).

Russian Walnut Cookies. Heaven.
    Don't know the cookies ( know lots of others, alas), but yes, sure The Russian store where I live closed a while ago and when i go to my Aunt's in Boston, it's always a treat. Childhood tastes are hard to change. I am forever a fan of all things pickled ( cheremsha? don't even know an English word. )
    improving my ballad- like lines

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    It has nothing to do with Leonova, who said nothing at all except she didn't care for American food and she didn't like the way the food in the athletes' cafeteria looked.
    Where did she say this? Because in the interview above, this is the entire sum of what I could find that was about food:
    EV: It seems you are not too fond of the USA
    AL: Indeed. I'm uncomfortable with everything there.

EV: What exactly?
    AL: Everything. Starting with the accommodation and finishing with the food.

That's it. She isn't comfortable with the food. No reasons given why, nothing about arena food or rink food or that she wants fresh food or doesn't want fresh food. Just that the food here makes her uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    I think most people find part of their jobs or job training boring - skaters are no different. I'd rather be paid to go to ballet class than weapons training.
    Ooh, weapons training. I have some colleagues I'd like to practice on.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    Don't know the cookies ( know lots of others, alas), but yes, sure The Russian store where I live closed a while ago and when i go to my Aunt's in Boston, it's always a treat. Childhood tastes are hard to change. I am forever a fan of all things pickled ( cheremsha? don't even know an English word. )
    Not familiar with cheremsha itself although I've heard the word--pickled wild garlic? I would be all over that. And you don't know the cookies--see, we grew up in the former SU and still don't know everything about the Russian cuisine.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    :
    EV: It seems you are not too fond of the USA
    AL: Indeed. I'm uncomfortable with everything there.
    EV: What exactly?
    AL: Everything. Starting with the accommodation and finishing with the food.

That's it. She isn't comfortable with the food. No reasons given why, nothing about arena food or rink food or that she wants fresh food or doesn't want fresh food. Just that the food here makes her uncomfortable.
    MacMadame, I thought people explained that her only exposure is to the food readily available at the rink and competitions. That's not unreasonable. But if she is making this assumption about American food as a whole, so much the worse.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    She said she didn't like the food in the athletes' cafeteria at the Vancouver Olympics in her blog (as translated into English) from entries at the time. She then talked about how there was an "off campus" house where she and Makarova went for Russian home cooking, and I think there may have been a masseur there. It was a home-away-from-home for at least some members of the Russian Team.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    In just a quick reading of this thread, I don't think that many people object to Leonova's opinion about America. I see more debate food quality in America.

Personally, I don't care if she likes America or not, I'm more irked by the assertions that everyone in America eats crappy food.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kosjenka View Post
    I dont get why would anyones opinion of any place on the Earth be cause to offense.

My questions to all of you frowning - why are offended by this honesty and bluntness? This skater - whoever, has nothing to do with what quality of life is or can be in USA. The fact you visit some country or are there for work, does not mean you have to like it or pretend it is something you like. The fact that here are non Americans not liking the life in America show that they are different and what is bad about that?

The biggest problem seems to be that Leonova was honest and detailed with her opinions. Something one rarely gets to hear or read from any US skater. But there are other ways to appreciate them.
    Or not.

Oh please! You LOVED your pork week in Zagreb
    I think this discussion has veered in all kinds of directions apart from taking offence at Alena's remarks.
    But I'll try to explain what rubs me the wrong way- it is generalizing.
    The headline says " i do not like America", and then Alena repeats it verbatum in the interview.
    While it is absolutely OK that not everybody likes the US for various reasons, it seems rather limited thinking to equate a few rinks in New Jersey and the food they serve to the "US". If she managed a few caveats about her limited experience, it would be different, but she did not. It just sounds... close- minded? I know I quite resented my cousin who came to the US as a toddler when she went to Russia, spent there 4 days and declared she did not like Russia, because there is no way she could KNOW Russia. And she did not put it in the newspaper in the Internet age. Sorry, but it is not a matter of PC, it is matter of looking at the world with an open mind, rather than making quick judgements based on very limited experience.
    But is it going to alter my opinion of Alena as a skater? Not at all. I like her spirit in competition, and if she delivers, I'll cheer for her.
    improving my ballad- like lines

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    ^^^
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Yeah! If anybody should be offended around here it should be ME! This chick is directly turning her nose up to MY armpit of the world. My beloved armpit! This article may as well be entitled HEY SOUTHPAW, YOUR STUPID SMELLY STATE SUCKS!!!! And then we have people in here saying "Oh, well, if her only impression of America is New Jersey, then no wonder she thinks it sucks. But am *I* offended?

The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    I think this discussion has veered in all kinds of directions apart from taking offence at Alena's remarks.
    But I'll try to explain what rubs me the wrong way- it is generalizing.
    The headline says " i do not like America", and then Alena repeats it verbatum in the interview.
    While it is absolutely OK that not everybody likes the US for various reasons, it seems rather limited thinking to equate a few rinks in New Jersey and the food they serve to the "US". If she managed a few caveats about her limited experience, it would be different, but she did not. It just sounds... close- minded? I know I quite resented my cousin who came to the US as a toddler when she went to Russia, spent there 4 days and declared she did not like Russia, because there is no way she could KNOW Russia. And she did not put it in the newspaper in the Internet age. Sorry, but it is not a matter of PC, it is matter of looking at the world with an open mind, rather than making quick judgements based on very limited experience.
    But is it going to alter my opinion of Alena as a skater? Not at all. I like her spirit in competition, and if she delivers, I'll cheer for her.
    The title of the interview was chose with purpose - to make it more dramatic. They did not talk about her US experience more than a few lines.

What is clear from this interview is how limited her experience of US is. Vaitsekhovskaya asked her to specify and from there you can read on what this young woman bases her opinions of one culture. To her and her experience - America is not good food, not a good accommodation/housing. Weather this is how her work and time was organized for her and she never seek something else herself - we dont know.

That is what makes it even funnier how people find it offensive. Her experience of a country and culture is limited at best - she is "not comfortable with it", she says so publicly - and for some reason this has some value so much so that Americans are finding her statements rude.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Yeah! If anybody should be offended around here it should be ME! This chick is directly turning her nose up to MY armpit of the world. My beloved armpit! This article may as well be entitled HEY SOUTHPAW, YOUR STUPID SMELLY STATE SUCKS!!!! And then we have people in here saying "Oh, well, if her only impression of America is New Jersey, then no wonder she thinks it sucks. But am *I* offended?

I find it funny how people think it is important what this girl thinks about US. She didn't visit anything on her own, she was there for work, she does not speak the language, does not seem to have (American) friends there...
    Obviously she was there because she had to be and in her position she would rather spend her time elsewhere - as in her hometown, probably with her boyfriend and where her coach actually has time for her.
    Maybe after this she will never go back to US again. She will be happier and New Jersey wont miss her bitching.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    She will be happier and New Jersey wont miss her bitching.
    Oh no, I'll miss her bitching. She's a natural New Jerseyan, she just doesn't realize it.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Oh no, I'll miss her bitching. She's a natural New Jerseyan, she just doesn't realize it.
    So true
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Once more with feeling:

Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    It has nothing to do with Leonova, who said nothing at all except she didn't care for American food and she didn't like the way the food in the athletes' cafeteria looked. I don't think anyone objected to anything she actually said, although some people thought she sounded provincial.

Everything else is posters arguing amongst themselves, which is perfectly normal around here. Skaters exist primarily to give us reason to argue about things.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Where did she say this?
    It was quoted back in the thread a bit--I believe Vagabond linked it many pages ago.

I find it funny how people think it is important what this girl thinks about US. She didn't visit anything on her own, she was there for work, she does not speak the language, does not seem to have (American) friends there...
    Obviously she was there because she had to be and in her position she would rather spend her time elsewhere - as in her hometown, probably with her boyfriend and where her coach actually has time for her.
    Maybe after this she will never go back to US again. She will be happier and New Jersey wont miss her bitching.
    Yes, several people have made the exact same points several times already--well, except I don't think anyone thinks Leonova's opinions about America are important--and we've also covered the honesty vs. PC argument (why do so many people assume that positive comments are not honest?), why the title was chosen and how her experience here has been limited.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    MacMadame, I thought people explained that her only exposure is to the food readily available at the rink and competitions.
    Some people guessed that maybe this is why she was uncomfortable with the food in the US. But we don't know what her eating arrangements are or why she found food here uncomfortable. Maybe they are right; maybe not. I'm pretty sure, no matter what the arrangements are, that she does occasionally eat rink food so this is a possibility. But it's still a guess.

Others guessed it was because she couldn't find organic vegetables or grass-fed beef. Again, we don't know if that's the reason. (But I'm betting this is the least likely of the guesses.)

A few others are convinced it's because she can't find Russian Grandmothers to cook for her. But again, we don't know if that's her complaint either.

Personally, I have trouble getting offended over guesses. Besides, my own guess is that she is homesick and it's nothing about our food at all, just that it's different and reminds her that she's not at home. Which isn't anything I'm going to get offended over as it seems perfectly understandable to me even if I'm not the homesick type.

But if we ever actually find out what the real reason is, I promise to get super-offended if it's something worth getting offended about.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Are people offended?

I stand by my guess that this all part of the current trend in Russia where it's 'in' to dislike all things US, with a helping of Leonova's own general lack of sophistication.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 02-28-2013 at 08:09 AM.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Deary me. 16 pages about Leonova's breakfasts (I don't think she eats at any other time of the day)

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Borsch for breakfast?

Loves_Shizuka--have you read this thread? A lot of it is devoted to discussions about world cuisines and posters' personal culinary preferences.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Yea, I was just being dry.

I myself have declared my sheer disgust for all things "salad".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    I myself have declared my sheer disgust for all things "salad".
    How DARE you?! You are being mean about my food culture!

Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast