Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    There is no greater abundance of wonderful, fresh foods than in the U.S.A.

O-
    This is the most laughable thing I have read in ages.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    I didn't have to work at finding these places. My posts were referring to Leonova's situation, not my own. I personally find fresh food very easy to find
    So do I, even though I live in a suburb of fewer than 50,000 people, I don't have sidewalks in my plat, and I drive a car.

I can't speak for Leonova, however, as I have no idea if she looks, where she looks, or what she is looking for--or even if her issue is finding "fresh" food (what, they don't have apples and such in New Jersey?) or whether she just prefers the Russian food she eats at home. I had kind of thought it was the latter, but what do I know? Maybe she's just fine with, say, eggs, as long as the hens are free range and vegetarian fed, and the fact that they are cooked in a way she isn't used to is irrelevant, and she wouldn't mind a hamburger at all if it was made from grass-fed beef.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    If she wants a gold medal winning hamburger then White Manna is her answer.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I'll agree with you for the most part- I prefer the European portion sizes and the rare occasion I eat out I immediatly put half my food in a to-go container. I don't think eating organic or grass-fed really affects weight, but overall health. But as for the 'crap' in our food, so far, none of our meat has been found to be horse. (That might change, but so far- it appears we have a better idea of what we are eating than many European countries.)
    There's nothing inheritantly unhealthy about horse meat. You may object to the idea but it's just as normal as beef to many Europeans. The debate is about the fact that the lable did not inform the consumer that the food contained horse. that's the question, there are no health aspects in this. Sorry, actually there are if the horsemeat comes from a slaughtered race horse, These animals may not be used for food since they may have been given medicine which leaves traces in the meat.
    Last edited by ItalianFan; 02-26-2013 at 11:30 PM.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalianFan View Post
    This is the most laughable thing I have read in ages.
    Who does have the world's greatest abundance of wonderful, fresh foods?
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Food choices, at least in Canada, really depend on your location. When I went to Canadians in Mississauga, food options were limited. The arena had mostly unhealthy and high-priced food and there was nothing available within walking distance. My friend and I had a car, but because of the crazy competition schedule, we didn't have time to drive out, and instead, we brought a hamper of food from home and ate in the cold parking lot. I could see why visitors, whether fans or competitors, would think the food in Canada was terrible if they didn't have a car to get around.

On the other hand, if you check out the Restaurant thread for this year's Worlds in London, you'll see lots of suggestions, the main one being the Covent Garden Market, just steps from the arena. There, you can find a large variety of prepared healthy dishes (as well as unhealthy ones), along with fresh fruits and vegetables, local cheeses, organic meats, etc. When I went to Canadians a few years ago, I ate there the entire time.

It is true that fast-food is popular among many Canadians, but it sounds like Leonova had an unfortunate experience in Vancouver. Actually, I had absolutely fantastic seafood and Asian food when I visited Vancouver many years ago, and some of it was quite inexpensive.

vCash
    Enough speculation! You know, I think we should compile a list of questions to ask Leonova directly and get to the bottom of this. It can't be that hard to e-mail her through her blog. We can ask her if she was forced to eat rink food while in America; how often--if at all--was she allowed access to fresh food; is her English good enough to read food labels; did she have to walk long distances on roads without sidewalks to obtain food she could eat--that sort of thing.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mathgirl View Post
    It is true that fast-food is popular among many Canadians, but it sounds like Leonova had an unfortunate experience in Vancouver. Actually, I had absolutely fantastic seafood and Asian food when I visited Vancouver many years ago, and some of it was quite inexpensive.
    Again, Leonova was talking about the food in the athletes' cafeteria, not Vancouver in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    Enough speculation! You know, I think we should compile a list of questions to ask Leonova directly and get to the bottom of this. It can't be that hard to e-mail her through her blog. We can ask her if she was forced to eat rink food while in America; how often--if at all--was she allowed access to fresh food; is her English good enough to read food labels; did she have to walk long distances on roads without sidewalks to obtain food she could eat--that sort of thing.

I thought what she said was perfectly clear--she's homesick and likes the food better at home. Why this would be controverisal in any way or have anything to do with finding organic food within walking distance in places that have sidewalks, I don't know. But I miss a lot.

vCash
    [QUOTE=IceAlisa;3849555]I've spent quite a bit of time in Southern Italy. It was so lovely. But did you know that ouside of big cities all they have is Italian food? Horrors! One can only eat so much pasta and pizza in 4 weeks. After a while we were craving sushi, burritos, pho and Thai food. Why? Because I live in one of the most diverse places in the world in terms of cuisine. I can't think of a major world cuisine that can't be found where I live.

I can't believe that you were actually unhappy with Italian food. which is certainly NOT just pasta and pizza. Sushi?? fish carpaccio (very available in Southern Italy) is the same thing without wasabi. burritos?? piadine ...same thing, as for Thai food, I grant you no equivalent but you can certainly find watery soups with noodles and veggies a la Thailand. sorry, but I consider the consistent, unrelentlng Italian effort to defend their regional specialities against feeble imitations and to make "slow food" with genuine ingredients and authentic regional specialities to be the "way to go" to healthy and delicious food. I have nothing against other cuisines but I feel that Italians definitely make a huge effort to eat healthy and varied meals that a lot of other countries would do well to imitate.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    sorry, but I consider the consistent, unrelentlng Italian effort to defend their regional specialities against feeble imitations and to make "slow food" with genuine ingredients and authentic regional specialities to be the "way to go" to healthy and delicious food. I have nothing against other cuisines but I feel that Italians definitely make a huge effort to eat healthy and varied meals that a lot of other countries would do well to imitate.
    Hmmm. Well, I think the traditional Meditteranean diet is certainly healthy, but.....

While the rest of the world is encouraged to copy the traditional Italian menu by swapping junk food for fruit and vegetables, it seems Italians are forgetting the lessons they taught everyone else.

Dr Antonello del Vecchio, a practising doctor and spokesman for Slow Food, the international movement born 20 years ago, said: "Italians are eating less and less of the Italian diet and more and more fast food," he said. "For a long while, unlike northern Europe, we resisted, but now it's here and we're seeing the results."

More than a third – 36 per cent – of Italian children are either overweight or obese by the age of eight, according to a survey released this week by the Institute for Auxology of Milan, making Italy the worst in Europe in terms of obesity among young children.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...s-2347203.html

Maybe the effort is only huge, consistent, and unrelenting locally?

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Again, Leonova was talking about the food in the athletes' cafeteria, not Vancouver in general.

I thougt what she said was perfectly clear--she's homesick and likes the food better at home. Why this would be controverisal in any way or have anything to do with finding organic food within walking distance in places that have sidewalks, I don't know. But I miss a lot.
    I apparently miss a lot as well. What I read indicated an unhappy kid. Unhappy with pretty much everything going on around her at the moment and I can understand why. I hope she can get it together well enough to do well at Worlds because life would really suck for her if she doesn't. Not, better than Kostner, Sot or Tuk, but better than some others who'll be there.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Who does have the world's greatest abundance of wonderful, fresh foods?
    Although I also spend time in New England I have never seen the variety of fruits and vegetables that I have seen in any of the numerous outdoor markets in Italy. Mostly in the US people shop in supermarkets which have the usual "standard" variety of produce. In the summer you can go to farmer markets where they have fresh produce but, as I said, I never saw the variety I have seen routinely in any outdoor market in Italy.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Although I also spend time in New England I have never seen the variety of fruits and vegetables that I have seen in any of the numerous outdoor markets in Italy. Mostly in the US people shop in supermarkets which have the usual "standard" variety of produce. In the summer you can go to farmer markets where they have fresh produce but, as I said, I never saw the variety I have seen routinely in any outdoor market in Italy.
    So you don't know who has the world's greatest abundance of wonderful, fresh foods and are going only by what you have seen in two countries?

And you know how most people in America shop because.... you've spent time in New England?

vCash
    Hmmm. Well, I think the traditional Meditteranean diet is certainly healthy, but.....

While the rest of the world is encouraged to copy the traditional Italian menu by swapping junk food for fruit and vegetables, it seems Italians are forgetting the lessons they taught everyone else.

Dr Antonello del Vecchio, a practising doctor and spokesman for Slow Food, the international movement born 20 years ago, said: "Italians are eating less and less of the Italian diet and more and more fast food," he said. "For a long while, unlike northern Europe, we resisted, but now it's here and we're seeing the results."

More than a third – 36 per cent – of Italian children are either overweight or obese by the age of eight, according to a survey released this week by the Institute for Auxology of Milan, making Italy the worst in Europe in terms of obesity among young children.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...s-2347203.html

Maybe the effort is only huge, consistent, and unrelenting locally?
    Undeniably the italians too are falling into the habit of eating "on the run" and the adolescents go for junkfood as a fad. The fact remains that food for Italians is not just "refueling" the machine as it is for most of the Americans I know but a social moment and the tradition of cooking has not yet gone the way of dinosaurs: that is, it is not extinct!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I've spent quite a bit of time in Southern Italy. It was so lovely. But did you know that ouside of big cities all they have is Italian food? Horrors! One can only eat so much pasta and pizza in 4 weeks. After a while we were craving sushi, burritos, pho and Thai food. Why? Because I live in one of the most diverse places in the world in terms of cuisine. I can't think of a major world cuisine that can't be found where I live.
    San Francisco not looking so bad now is it?

PML that my TV is not showing a programme call "Kill it, cook it, eat it".
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    So you don't know who has the world's greatest abundance of wonderful, fresh foods and are going only by what you have seen in two countries?

And you know how most people in America shop because.... you've spent time in New England?
    I never said that Italy had the most abundant variety, I just said that it was generally NOT the US. And although I am most familiar with Italy and the US (not just New England although I lived there) I have also travelled in other 16 countries where one of the things I am most interested in seeing is the local marketplace....

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I never said that Italy had the most abundant variety, I just said that it was generally NOT the US. And although I am most familiar with Italy and the US (not just New England although I lived there) I have also travelled in other 16 countries where one of the things I am most interested in seeing is the local marketplace....
    Well, yes, but since you were so sure it wasn't the US and found the idea so laughable, I thought you must have some objective data to share.

I am actually interested in knowing the answer, not just jerking your chain, but I can always research it for myself if you don't know.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    I can tell you with utmost confidence that Hackensack, NJ is not the fresh food capital of the universe.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawnie View Post
    Yes, I know Irina said it but I thought she used Sarah Hughes (post SLC) as a point of reference when she was talking about fat Americans and their cheeseburgers? Did I just make this up in my own mind?
    Yes, you did. Irina's comments were about skating with COI and how the audience sat in the front row eating cheeseburgers instead of watching the performance with rapt attention as if they were at the ballet or opera (though I think that last part was just implied). It had nothing to do with Sarah Hughes.

Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    What exactly IS Canadian/American food though?
    Poutine! Barbeque!

Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Of course that is what her life is. That is what every skater's life is. But most of the Americans still manage to feed themselves somehow. I doubt they eat much more than chicken breast and a few vegetables during the season anyway.
    As I said, they eat a lot of rink food. I know this because I used to skate and I had my lessons at lunch time and I saw them eating. They brought some stuff from home and they also ate the junk at the rink. It wasn't the best diet but they could get away with it because they were young and exercising all the time.

I personally hate pc... for instance all those carefully calculated enthusiastic
    comments, designed to flatter the interviewer and not to irritate any possible viewers for ex. "we're so lucky to have had this incredible possibility and hope that it enriches our training experience" insufferably cloying comments that I have heard from the likes of Charlie & Meryl for instance a million times.
    Except, as far as I can tell, that's really what they think. Should they show up at their interviews with shaved heads and tattoos with a cig dangling from their lips and say how much they hate whatever city they are in just so they can not be PC? If they did, they'd be posers because that's not them.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    San Francisco not looking so bad now is it?
    Not this week--the weather has been amazing. Ask me again in the summer.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast