Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Long lunch. Whazzat?

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Popcorn!
    Speaking of popcorn, I only like regular and caramel. Do people like/recommend any other flavors? Borsch-flavored for Alena.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Is Le Big Mac the chicken or the egg? Long before fast food became dominant, there were reports from France and Spain bemoaning how American business practices and internationalization were making the long lunch, and in the case of the Spain, the siesta obsolete. The shock was that people were eating quickly at their desks to work more like the Mericuns. It seems to me the next step is eating fast food, because it's quicker to get and can be taken out.
    No, I think in France people still eat really long lunches, even when they go to McDonald's!

When I first moved here, I was actually shocked at the importance of lunch. For instance, just when we were at a crucial point in a project and I was expecting us to nibble biscuits at our desks, everyone would just drop everything and we would go to the cafeteria for a three-course meal.

However, the French are absolutely right. You really feel and work much better after entrée, plat and dessert rather than biscuits! Actually, with the warm feeling of a good lunch and fun conversation, you see the whole world differently, put everything into perspective and also have more respect for yourself than a lab rat nibbling biscuits.

I've also been in Italy and there the lunches were so long and people drank so much wine that our secretary used to put on sunglasses while entering the office so that noone would see that her eyes couldn't focus. That was kind of a little too much.

vCash
    McBaguettes ???

Sounds tasty!

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Where I work now, most people leave their desks for lunch. A lot of people eat lunch in the kitchen area together and the rest go out. Then a bunch of us go for a walk. It's great and really helps our productivity.

The people I work with also take time for "tea" in the afternoon. (except I'm the only one who actually drinks tea; they all drink coffee) That's not a company thing. That's mostly just the folks from India. And me.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

is lutz crazy!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Is Le Big Mac the chicken or the egg? Long before fast food became dominant, there were reports from France and Spain bemoaning how American business practices and internationalization were making the long lunch, and in the case of the Spain, the siesta obsolete. The shock was that people were eating quickly at their desks to work more like the Mericuns. It seems to me the next step is eating fast food, because it's quicker to get and can be taken out.
    From what I've seen working in France, the traditional long lunch is in no danger! Always difficult as working in France for me "should" mean a day trip with a really early start and a really late finish with no time to spend a long time eating in the middle (that's what the Eurostar journey is for). After my first couple of trips I had to change the routine to include an overnight stay the night before so that I could get to site earlier to compensate for the loss of time in the middle of the day!

Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    No, I think in France people still eat really long lunches, even when they go to McDonald's!

When I first moved here, I was actually shocked at the importance of lunch. For instance, just when we were at a crucial point in a project and I was expecting us to nibble biscuits at our desks, everyone would just drop everything and we would go to the cafeteria for a three-course meal.

However, the French are absolutely right. You really feel and work much better after entrée, plat and dessert rather than biscuits! Actually, with the warm feeling of a good lunch and fun conversation, you see the whole world differently, put everything into perspective and also have more respect for yourself than a lab rat nibbling biscuits.
    Because my habits are so different at home (not quite as limited as biscuits at my desk but certainly something relatively small in portion size), a big lunch in the middle of the day like that just makes me sluggish in the afternoon! Having to walk around a huge site and up and down ladders/scaffold etc is especially hideous on a very full stomach. And even worse with alcohol - my French colleagues found it very strange that I had only a tiny bit of wine in the bottom of my glass just to be polite.

I wonder if Leonova likes a big lunch or a small one - does it make her feel energised or sleepy? Does she appreciate French food more than "N American"?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mella View Post

I wonder if Leonova likes a big lunch or a small one - does it make her feel energised or sleepy? Does she appreciate French food more than "N American"?

Doesn't she only eat breakfast?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Long lunch. Whazzat?

Speaking of popcorn, I only like regular and caramel. Do people like/recommend any other flavors? Borsch-flavored for Alena.

I love popcorn with a chocolate or white chocolate drizzle. I love caramel! By regular do you mean butter? Or plain (I like butter, not plain)

Lots of people like cheesy popcorn- but IMO, gross.

When we make it at home, I usually sprinkle mine with sugar (I picked that up in Germany), and DH will use pretty much anything in the spice cabinent- I think garam masala or chili powder are his main go to's, but I know he's tried oregano, cumin, pretty much anything in a shaker.

vCash
    Would someone send me a pvt message when Alena returns to the room?

is lutz crazy!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post

Well she's not very comfortable with the accommodations so I guess she will avoid the room as much as possible.

sorry I will stop now. This thread has absolutely cracked me up as I lurked - I actually only remembered after hitting send on my post above that this wasn't a foodies thread!

in my underground bunker plotting your downfall
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I love popcorn with a chocolate or white chocolate drizzle. I love caramel! By regular do you mean butter? Or plain (I like butter, not plain)

I've never had popcorn with chocolate drizzle but it sounds goods. I like cheesy popcorn but it has to be the right kind of cheese, not some nasty stuff that turns your fingers orange. When I go to see a movie, I like to put butter on my popcorn and then sprinkle it with parmesan cheese seasoning. There's only one movie theatre near me that I know of that has popcorn that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and offers different seasonings to put on top.

Why is movie popcorn so expensive? The place where I usually go sells it in three sizes ranging from $3.50 to $4.50, but other places are much higher. The worst place wanted $8 for a medium popcorn. I always smuggle in a bottle of water because I don't want to pay $4 to $5 for a bottle of water. I smuggle in water and snacks at skating events and baseball games, too. I'm willing to pay a fair price but most places jack their prices up to ridiculous levels.

It's snowing here and getting worse. I was planning to go see Zero Dark Thirty today but will stay inside instead and watch a DVD and maybe make some microwave popcorn. Or maybe I'll drink wine and have cheese and crackers or eat some of that black raspberry with chocolate chunks ice cream that's lurking in the freezer. Or take a nap. Anything to avoid going outside and shovel snow. Somebody should invent a self-propelled snow shovel that would shovel the snow for you while you lie on the couch watching a movie and eating popcorn or chocolate. It doesn't necessarily have to be a snow shovel; it could be a Roomba for snow.
    When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed."
    Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    As amusing as this thread is, it really has gone pretty far afield.

And now I will do absolutely nothing to bring it back to the original subject.... if someone likes caramel popcorn, they might like Kettle Korn. It's my favorite.
    Last edited by MacMadame; 03-06-2013 at 11:48 PM.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    She's at McDonalds eating Russian Fries.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post
    She's at McDonalds eating Russian Fries.
    I didn't know what McDonald's was supposed to taste like until I ate it in Russia.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    Doesn't she only eat breakfast?
    Does Leonova use egg cups?
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Does Leonova use egg cups?
    Yes, but she doesn't eat eggs -- she has borscht served in her collection of Delft egg cups.

ETA: Re popcorn -- when I used to make it at home, I like to sprinkle it with Parmesan cheese. Now I just indulge in buying the kettle corn (and caramel corn) made and sold at the local farmers market.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto Guzzi View Post
    Why is movie popcorn so expensive?
    Most movie theaters make no money on the admission charge. Their entire profit margin comes from what they sell at the concession stand. That's why it's higher.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i liked it when theaters sold soundtracks in the lobby, that had to be a profit
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    Most movie theaters make no money on the admission charge. Their entire profit margin comes from what they sell at the concession stand. That's why it's higher.
    If cinemas don't charge for the tickets, how do they pay the producers of the movies? Do they give them a percentage from the popcorn sales?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post

When we make it at home, I usually sprinkle mine with sugar (I picked that up in Germany), and DH will use pretty much anything in the spice cabinent- I think garam masala or chili powder are his main go to's, but I know he's tried oregano, cumin, pretty much anything in a shaker.
    The idea of chocolate on popcorn is intriguing. Sweet and salty. Mmmmmmm.

By plain I mean air popped with a drizzle of NON-extra virgin olive oil and some salt. Regular olive oil doesn't have a ton of flavor and I am too health conscious to use butter.

I've always wondered how kettle corn is different. Tastes the same to me.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    If cinemas don't charge for the tickets, how do they pay the producers of the movies? Do they give them a percentage from the popcorn sales?
    They do charge money for the tickets- but they make no money on them; that is, no profit. The cost of a ticket doesn't even cover what it costs to buy the movie to show, much less employees and overhead charges such as rent and utilities. The concession stands are what make profit for the theaters.

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast