Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

vCash
    Leonova's comments say more about her, her training situation and the limitations and isolation that result from it, than the United States. It's a big country. Seems to me, Leonova has had a very limited experience, in part due to her training regimen and the boundaries put in place by Morozov. In other words, I'd hardly call Leonova an authority on anything in the U.S. but her own, limited experience. She'd have to spend some time traveling and eating without the restrictions her current situation places on her to really have a fair impression. I wouldn't be happy in her situation -- regardless of the country I was training in.

O-

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elka_sk8 View Post
    And if my introduction to the U.S. was New Jersey, I'm not sure i'd be so fond of it either.
    HEY! (Said in my best pseudo-Jersey shoutout) Really, southern New Jersey is beautiful. I don't know the northern NYC burbs well, although I've been to Old Tappan, and it was lovely. Southern Jersey has a lot to recommend it. I'm there 4-5 times a year. I might move up there-Philly is a great city. Just had to come to the support of a great place.

BTW - in my previous post I wasn't really talking exclusively about Leonova....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    HEY! (Said in my best pseudo-Jersey shoutout) Really, southern New Jersey is beautiful. I don't know the northern NYC burbs well, although I've been to Old Tappan, and it was lovely. Southern Jersey has a lot to recommend it. I'm there 4-5 times a year. I might move up there-Philly is a great city. Just had to come to the support of a great place.
    I concur. South Jersey's beaches are very beautiful.

O-

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    As are the townships dating from the early 18th century, and Haddonfield.....Maybe Leonova needs a little vacay and taken on a tour of the real USA outside the rink. I mean this in a nice way. Poor girl. I'm sure it's hard to be ripped away and taken to a strange place with strange customs and food, and then have to perform perfectly. That's a lot to ask of anyone.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    One thing about NJ beaches--it's those flies that bite. If Leonova complained about that, I'd agree wholeheartedly. I don't recall anything like that in Europe.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Perkova is dead.

I wish she would try a new coach--anyone. The best thing about her skating was her infectious perk and interpretation that hit you over the head. She's lost that this year, and the only thing she has gained is that she stalks all her jumps terribly and rarely lands them.

I'm hoping she can skate well at Worlds and get back on track.

vCash
    I don't think it is that they are only just warming to her now, for me I lost interest in her in 09/10 due to her horrible programs and bad performances.

This current Olympic cycle she has had solid programs (yes without the hard content) but entertaining to say the least.

So I think if other people felt the same as me towards her in 09/10, her old fans are coming back plus gaining new fans as well!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    You know, bashing someone's hometown or country just isn't polite, especially based on 1 visit or limited experience with the area.
    I don't think Leonova's experience with New Jersey can be called limited. The impression I got from the interview that travel was a necessary evil for her to do what she loves.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    No, the rink would not usually allow that. The rink's cafe would be the exclusive supplier of even catering.
    Well, have the catering done some where other than at the the rink.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Well, have the catering done some where other than at the the rink.
    At the bowling alley next door? Or on the train tracks?

I'm just busting on you. I know what you mean.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Do skaters actually eat AT rinks? I've only been to one that had any sort of decent food, and even that was just nice hamburgers. Most do popcorn, nachos, pretzels, maybe a hot dog. They aren't designed to feed meals, but snacks.

If she was eating her meals at a rink, of course she would think it was terrible. No one could find a healthy meal to sustain a training diet out of that!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I have a perfect solution for the travel-averse Leonova: compete at home.
    Well soon enough she will not be able to make it out of Nationals anyways

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I have a perfect solution for the travel-averse Leonova: compete at home.
    But isn't that the goal? Work hard, overcome all obstacles, compete in the Olys in russia, and spend free time writing whiny blogs where she sweats the petty stupid shyte that doesn't matter.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Some rinks have "restaurants" where they serve bar food. It's a step up from the hamburgers and hot dogs and fries at the grill or grabbing something from a machine.

IME skaters eat a combo of rink food and stuff they bring from home.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post

taking public transport is a sign in America that you are too lazy to work hard and save up to buy a car (that's a joke to all who don't know me)
    Some of us do have cars and still use public transport. I use it to get to work, because I live just 6 blocks off the bus line "going out" and 4 blocks "coming back" and the bus stops in front of the building next to where I work. Costs $1.50/ride, no matter how long it takes to get from Point A to Point B, or if there is a traffic delay or detour (I would be wasting gas and therefore $$ if I got caught up in those same delays in my car). It also means I am driving my car 30 miles less every single week (6 mile RT commute/day), which saves on wear and tear (and repairs!), and leaves me with more gas in the tank for driving to the places I go (like out of state) where public transport either doesn't go, or where I'd be making a return trip "after hours." Gas is touching $4.00/gallon in my area right now, so spending $55/month on a bus pass that gives me unlimited rides on weekdays and saving the car for non-work purposes makes perfect sense.

vCash
    All this talk of rink food got me wondering about what Leonova was accustomed to back in Novogorsk.

According to this webpage, there is a canteen that offers "four time nourishment considering recommendations of doctors and coaches of National Teams and peculiarities of National cuisines of different countries."

This comes along with free coaching, free housing, and free transportation to international competitions, all of which Leonova also gets when she trains in the U.S. I suspect that she also gets a stipend to help her afford her shopping. I hope she enjoys it while she can.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Perhaps, but Leonova was criticizing the food in Canada. And she didn't mind the borscht and veal she had there.
    A Russian, from Novogorsk no less, complaining about the food in Vancouver. That would be the biggest joke I've ever seen

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawnie View Post
    I thought the infamous cheeseburger quote was about Sarah Hughes?
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Nope, it was Irina, bless her heart.
    Yes, I know Irina said it but I thought she used Sarah Hughes (post SLC) as a point of reference when she was talking about fat Americans and their cheeseburgers? Did I just make this up in my own mind?

vCash
    Is there a difference between Leonova expressing her dislike for Canadian/American food and other people expressing their dislike of Russian food? Other than her saying it to a journalist, of course.

vCash
    What exactly IS Canadian/American food though?

Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast