Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Food to bring back from London

I'm going to London next week and would like to bring back some non perishable or can last 8-10 hours food items to bring for friends and family. Any brands of biscuits and tea you would recommend? Whatelse would you recommend that would be tough to find in the US? Apparently, some cheeses are permissible also.

Thanks

vCash
    I always bring club biscuits, tonnocks tea cakes (yum yum yum) and Jaffa cakes.... I tend to be a busicut kinda gal...

vCash
    Fortnum & Mason on Piccadilly is a good place to start.

vCash
    Twinnings English Afternoon tea.
    I'm not spoiled...I deserve all my stuff.

vCash
    My parents always bring clotted cream back.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    My parents always bring clotted cream back.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Fortnum & Mason does good potted cheeses. Also look out for Duchy Original biscuits - you can find them in most supermarkets. If you want something traditionally British, try getting a pot of Marmite, although just warning that it can be a bit of an acquired taste!

vCash
    Thanks everyone for the tips :-)

Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post
    Fortnum & Mason does good potted cheeses.
    Is it a hard cheese or soft cheese? Reading customs forms and hard cheeses like cheddar seem to be fine.

vCash
    I dont know the brand but my director at work brought us back some delicious fudge last time she went to London.
    I'm not spoiled...I deserve all my stuff.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    If you're going through any of the main terminals at Heathrow, there are a ton of shopping options, including outposts of Harrods and Fortnum & Mason and other British shops - and they are past security.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yehudi View Post
    Thanks everyone for the tips :-)

Is it a hard cheese or soft cheese? Reading customs forms and hard cheeses like cheddar seem to be fine.
    They have a variety - things like Stilton or Shropshire blue, so semi-soft. But they're in completely sealed pots which might make it a bit easier to get through customs?

vCash
    You could bring crumpets so that your friends could find out how awful they are, not bad enough for me to include a puke smiley here, though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skategal View Post
    Twinnings English Afternoon tea.
    They have Twinings at Stop n Shops here in Connecticut in the regular tea area

vCash
    Don't try to bring back any form of honey. It will not pass security. And you don't want to pack it in your checked luggage!

While you are in London you could try various types of Cadbury's chocolates before you decide which to bring home. The fruit and nut bar is a good place to start.

Honestly, as many times as I have been to England I have never brought food back. But then, most of the really good stuff is available at local stores in Victoria.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snowbird View Post
    You could bring crumpets so that your friends could find out how awful they are
    You're a real ray of sunshine, aren't you snowbird? What's wrong with crumpets - aren't they right-wing enough for you?

Crumpets and English muffins are both delicious, toasted and with butter. As well as or instead of the cheeses mentioned earlier, you could try one of the traditional hard white, crumbly cheeses such as Caerphilly, Cheshire or Wensleydale.

As for biscuits, Waitrose's Almond Cookies are heavenly, and all the Duchy Originals are good (though very expensive).

Have a good trip, Yehudi.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash

Food to bring back from London

Cadbury. The stuff that makes it here is not near as good. I also bring back cheddar cheese

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Most large supermarkets in the US sell a good variety of English foods and teas or you can buy it online. I'd want to bring back the stuff that's homemade and doesn't really come in a packet or jar or stuff I can't get here. Homemade bread sauce, fresh Yorkshire pudding, hot roasted potatoes cooked with a roast. Somehow I don't think any of it would get through customs or be any good at the other end.

A jar of lemon curd might be an idea. Delicious. Although it's the wrong time of the year you may be able to find a Christmas pudding and brandy sauce. They'll last until next Christmas. Daddies Sauce maybe. It's a brown sweet, tangy sauce - the US equivalent is close to the taste of Heinz 57 but Daddies sauce is better.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    Cadbury. The stuff that makes it here is not near as good. I also bring back cheddar cheese
    Yes. Actually that was the one thing my mom wanted and she said the same thing

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Ever since I've opened this thread I've been DYING for some clotted cream+jam on scones. That's alright, we have plenty of afternoon tea places here.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    My girlfriend had a tough time finding Lyle's Golden Syrup and Black Treacle.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast