vCash

Potential all time amazing competitions which never happened

What are some of the potentially exceptional skating competitions that never took place. Some of mine would be:

1992 Olympic ladies- I was so excited about this event going in. You had 3 exceptionally strong gold medal contenders- Harding, Ito, Yamaguchi. The two best female jumpers ever, and the epitome of the perfect all around skater combining exceptionally high technical ability and great artistry. Then you had a 4th strong medal contender to push all of those Nancy Kerrigan, and a 5th outside medal hopeful skating in her home country Surya Bonaly. While not contenders for medals going in in this field you also had a variety of strong up and coming skaters looking to make their mark heading into 1992- Hubert, Chouinard, Chen, Sato, and some longtime veterans many who could do all 5 triples like Preston and Kiellmann. The competition fell totally flat with all the contenders struggling and having numerous major errors. Kristi easily won an anticlimatic gold despite one of her worst free skates ever, and Kerrigan won the bronze with one of her worst free skates ever.

2010 Olympic mens- On paper this should have been one of the deepest and most evenly matched group of contenders ever. Lambiel, Takahashi, Abbott, Joubert, Lysacek, Plushenko, Chan all had the potential to turn in gold medal winning performances while Oda, Kozuka, Weir, Verner, had medal winning potential too. It turned into a splatfest and Lysacek and Plushenko winning gold and silver with competent performances that atleast 5 others were easily capable of beating had they been at their best. The mess of Plushenko pushing the point he was robbed due to doing a quad, and the unfair questionining of Evan's win didnt help.

2010 Olympic pairs- This had potential to be a great battle with Shen & Zhao vs Savchenko & Szolkowy, and the recent rise of Kavaguti & Smirnov making them gold medal threats too. Then you had two other strong Chinese teams, another strong Russian team, and a strong Canadian team on home ice. Other than Shen & Zhao and Pang & Tong nobody really delivered though, and it was mostly a flat event.

1992 Olympic mens- This also had the potential of an incredible event. Browning and Petrenko were the favorites, but Christopher Bowman, Petr Barna, Todd Eldredge all had the potential to medal or win going in as well. Then you had numerous dark horse hopefuls- Wylie, young Urmanov, young Stojko, Zagarodniuk, Filipowski. It turned into a messy event though with Petrenko winning with about 5 mistakes in his free skate. The only high points were Wylie and Stojko's performances.

vCash
    The last 3 Olympic men's competitions were epic splatfests. This year in particular.

vCash
    Yes but I dont think much was expected of 2006 and 2014. 2010 is the only one where people expected a really great competition, if only due to the field being so evenly matched and there being so many potential contenders and no clear favorite. The 06 and 2014 fields were probably in reality stronger, but there was a runaway favorite in 06 and two runaway favorites in 2014, so it seemed nowhere near as exciting and I dont think people expected an amazing competition.

vCash
    The 2002 Olympic Ladies event should've been better. There were several recent World medalists including World Champions competing. Instead we had the top 5-6, with the exception of Sarah Hughes, stumbling and/or out right falling and giving uninspired performances.

vCash
    I thought the 2014 men's field was very exciting leading up to the event because of the incredible depth. 2006 men was an awful competition - only Plushenko put in a good competition. People sometimes think 2010 is worse, but they just get confused because Lysacek and Plushenko in 2010 weren't impressive. The rest of the field wasn't that bad. Same with 2014 - Hanyu and Chan didn't skate their best, but there was a decent amount of good skating in the rest of the field.

To me, 2002 ladies was a fairly strong event. The short was very well-skated, and while Slutskaya and Kwan didn't skate their best, there wasn't a shortage of good skating from some of the other top skaters. Hughes was excellent, Suguri was good, and Cohen was actually good as well (save one fall, she had six reasonably clean triples in her long, which is no slouch). Once again, the 2006 ladies was much more dreadful (but I think less was expected of the competition).

vCash
    2002 Olympic dance. It looked like an exciting 3 way gold battle with Italians, French, and Bourne and Kraatz of Canada, with Russian and Lithunians also fighting for a medal. However it turned into the French seemingly crusing to gold until they cheated at the very end and almost gave the terrible Russian team gold. Italians and Bourne and Kraatz both underperforming and dumped by judges and never in contention for gold. Lithunians undermarked from start and never even in contention for bronze.

1992 Olympic dance. After 91 worlds it looked like it could be an exciting battle between Klimova and Ponomarenko, Usova & Zhulin, Duchensay and Duchensay. Yet it turned into a bore with K&P crusing to gold, a subpar and unprepared Duchensays gifted an easy silver, and U&Z never in contention and taking bronze.

vCash
    2006 ladies was dreadful.

2014 men was bad cause you were expecting a decent battle between the two favorites and instead we got the two handing the gold to each other.

vCash
    My tv didn't show this alternate 2014 men's event where only the top 2 made mistakes. The men's field is very strong, and everyone including Ten, Fernamdez, Joubert, Abbott, brown, takahashi, imodio, Bresnia, Reynolds, vernier, etc.. Skated below their potential. Any event where a fist-full of euro champs can't even get close to the podium isn't "well skated" IMHO.

vCash
    I never said the 2014 mens event was great. It just doesnt fall under the category of potentially amazing events that dissapointed, as nobody was expecting an amazing event to begin with. Chan and Hanyu were literally 3 or 4 falls better than the field even on their best days, as Chan had been everyone else the whole quad until Hanyu caught him recently. That alone is enough that nobody should have expected an amazing event, even if it were well skated. Anyway the men have been super inconsistent most of the quad, last years worlds was terrible, so again no reason to expect an amazing event.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KimGOAT View Post
    I never said the 2014 mens event was great. It just doesnt fall under the category of potentially amazing events that dissapointed, as nobody was expecting an amazing event to begin with.
    I was holding out hope for a great event. If Hanyu has skated his LP as well as he did his short, with Chan skating like he did at TEB, it could have been an epic battle. Even better if Javi, Denis, Jeremy, Dai and Machida had skated to their potential.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    I was holding out hope for a great event. If Hanyu has skated his LP as well as he did his short, with Chan skating like he did at TEB, it could have been an epic battle. Even better if Javi, Denis, Jeremy, Dai and Machida had skated to their potential.
    With Hanyu 4 points ahead after the short and having a 5 point edge in planned base value that would have just led to an easy Hanyu win over Chan. Hanyu would have had to fall on the 4salchow atleast to make it interesting. Those others wouldn't have been within 25 points of a clean Hanyu or Chan.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    1989 Worlds, Midori Ito Vs Tonya Harding

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    1989 Worlds, Midori Ito Vs Tonya Harding
    Shame on the incompetent USFSA for not letting that happen.

vCash
    2006 ice dance. It wasn't expected to be epic or anything, but so many teams were taken out of contention due to falling in the ODs, and of course there was Marie-France and Patrice's terrible fall and withdrawal. In the end, we ended up with Grushina and Goncharov as bronze medalists .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    2006 ice dance. It wasn't expected to be epic or anything, but so many teams were taken out of contention due to falling in the ODs, and of course there was Marie-France and Patrice's terrible fall and withdrawal. In the end, we ended up with Grushina and Goncharov as bronze medalists .
    Other than Dubreuil & Lauzon did anyone who was really a medal contender fall though. I know Fusar Poli & Margalio won the compulsories but they were still no medal contenders as their technical skills in the OD and FD werent ever high enough anymore. Drobiazko & Vanagas also werent contenders in this field, they were at worlds with several teams gone. Failli & Scali also werent real contenders. The 5 teams who were contenders for medals (outside of D&L) came through unscathed and like them or not Grushina & Goncharov did well to outduel Delobel & Schoenfelder and Denkova & Stayviski for the bronze in the end. Remember they were bronze medalists at the 2005 worlds too, and they missed the Olympic silver to Belbin & Agosto by only 0.11 or something.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    2006 ice dance. It wasn't expected to be epic or anything, but so many teams were taken out of contention due to falling in the ODs, and of course there was Marie-France and Patrice'si terrible fall and withdrawal. In the end, we ended up with Grushina and Goncharov as bronze medalists .
    Those pasties Grushina wore offended Vanessa Riley and me. Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunctions were a lot less offensive, and she got fined by the FCC.