vCash

Biginners lesson under Nobunari Oda

First of all I say I'm sorry for the sort of tricky title of this thread. I found this video hilarious so I translated it. The reporter named Yamamoto participated in sort of a reality show on TV in which he trained ballroom dancing and participated in a small competition. He thinks experiencing figure skating will be helpful for him to improve his ballroom dancing.

Watch the video reading my rough translation. Yamamoto is a very beginner. He learned basic stroking, spins and spirals under Nobu. If you are a beginner as well(or even haven't skated at all in the past), follow Nobu's advice. It might be helpful or encouraging in learning figure skating. But I'm not sure this lesson was helpful for Yamamoto to improve his ballroom dancing. Have fun it's a hilarious lesson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvJwOqj_Ni4

0:10
    Yamamoto: Now I'm in front of Higashiyamato Sports Center where Nobunari Oda is training today.
    Narration: Today Yamamoto is going to try figure skating under Nobunari Oda who shows wonderful skills and expressions on ice. Yamamoto wants to improve his ballroom dancing by learning figure skating.

(At the rink)
    Y: This is the first time for me to see figure skating live.
    (Showing Nobu skating on the ice)
    Y: (Seeing Nobu stroking) How smooth he skates. Ah, now he's on one foot. (Seeing his spins) Awwww how beautiful...wow he's spinning so fast! Fantastic.

0:57
    (Nobu came to him at the bar.)
    Y: You're so cool! I felt much faster in person than I saw you on TV.
    NO: Oh, really? I might have made it to spin faster than usual. hahaha
    Y: Faster than usual?
    NO: Faster than usual. hahaha
    Narration: Yamamoto has wished to improve his plain facial expressions in ballroom dancing.
    Y: You're good at copying Gorillas. Can you give me some tips?
    NO: Put your tongue between your upper and down teeth. And then try your jaw down as much as possible...like this....
    Y: Wow, gorilla on ice.
    NO: The key is to focus on being a gorilla.
    Y: Thank you for explaining it seriously than I expected. hahaha
    NO: hahaha

1;45
    Narration: We appreciate him for taking time to teach Yamamoto even though he is busy training today. Now let's start.
    (Yamamoto gets on the ice)
    Narration: Yamamoto hasn't skated since he was an elementary school student. Can he improve in figure skating? First of all he works on basic stroking.
    (Yamamoto can't stroke at all and almost falling down out of balance)
    Narration: He can't keep standing on the ice since he is a very beginner.
    Y: Sideways?
    NO Yes. Kick sideways. It might be difficult at first but trying to push the ice sideways makes you stroke better.
    Narration: In 10 minutes after starting practice with Oda, he managed to ...
    NO: OK OK You can stroke. You improved stroking a lot.
    Y: Am I OK?
    NO: Good job.

2:47
    Narration: He became possible to stroke in a short time. Oda might have found his talent in skating...
    NO: You have good sense of balancing. Let's start working on spins.
    Y: Spins? Can I spin?
    Narration: Oda offered him to start practicing spins. Can he really spin?
    NO: (Showing how to spin) First of all twist your upper body in this way. And try to turn counterclockwise. Anyway try!
    Y: (Tried but didn't turn at all.)
    NO: hehehe
    Narration: As expected, is it impossible to be able to spin in such a short time?
    NO: When you try to turn, kick the ice with your inside edge of your right foot.
    Narration: With Oda's advice, he tried again.
    Y: (Tried and turned one revolution on the ice.) Ah!
    NO: Yes. You got it.
    Narration: He became possible to spin with both feet on the ice. How about spinning on one foot.
    Y:Sound you are so greedy.
    NO: hahaha Yes, yes. Seeing you spinning in that way, i think you can spin on one foot seriously. (Showing how to spin on one foot) Lift your free leg in this way.
    Y: (Tried and made it spin on one foot)
    NO: Wow You made it. You made it.
    Y: If I put my free leg down on the ice, I can stop spinning, right?
    NO: Yes. (Showing the way to stop spinning) Spin like this and put your free leg down on the ice like this.

4:31
    Narration: Yamamoto improved spinning by practicing some more.
    NO: Good job. I think you're capable of working on spirals.
    Y: No no no no no.
    Narration: Spirals means to cover the ice on one foot. It's difficult to keep balance with one's free leg lifted above the ice. Blades are so thin. Is it possible for a beginner like Yamamoto to do spirals?
    NO: Skaters lift his/her free leg high in the air like this. But you don't need lift your leg so high in the beginning.
    Narration: Yamamoto tried but ...
    Y: (He tried and was almost falling down out of balance.) Oh my gosh.
    Narration: As expected, it seems very difficult to keep balance on the very thin edge.
    NO: (Showing the entrance to the spiral) First of all do like this...(Nobu stroked a bit and lifted his free leg)
    Y: Ah! Ehhh (He tried to copy Oda and barely covered ice on one foot.)
    NO: OK OK
    Narration: And then...
    NO: Yes yes yes yes You got it. You got it.
    Y: Well, I feel I got it.
    NO: Your arms look very beautiful. You have long limbs. It makes you look good. When you skate with your arms wide spread, you look like a bird flying. Very beautiful. Good job. Good job. Beautiful.
    Narration: Yamamoto got the points in spirals in a short time.
    NO: I've never seen a person who improves in a very short time like you.
    Y: Really?
    NO: I'm surprised.
    Y: Thank you very much for your advice.
    NO: Thanks to you too.

vCash
    Thank you for your translations about Oda-san, rosewood. Thank you. Always!

vCash
    Fantastic rosewood, thank you! Nobu is a good teacher.

Rosewood, is Nobu a news commentator now? I saw this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16fNJcDccMI
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    skateboy, this kind of TV shows are called "wide show"(=talk and variety show) in Japan. Those shows deal with serious news along with various topics such as life, culture, showbiz, sports etc. Nobu works as a commentator in a show named 'スッキリ' on Nihon TV every Thursday. http://www.ntv.co.jp/program/detail/21830770.html (Can you see his name 織田信成 in the left upper part on the site?)

His personality is now loved by people even out of figure skating fandom. He sometimes appears on entertainment shows as well(the video I translated on this thread is one of them.) He once worked as a main MC on a special talk show! But it was only once. In anyways OUR Nobu is so much loved by people and doing very well so far!

vCash
    I'm very happy to hear that Oda is enjoying such success in his post-competitive career!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    skateboy, this kind of TV shows are called "wide show"(=talk and variety show) in Japan. Those shows deal with serious news along with various topics such as life, culture, showbiz, sports etc. Nobu works as a commentator in a show named 'スッキリ' on Nihon TV every Thursday. http://www.ntv.co.jp/program/detail/21830770.html (Can you see his name 織田信成 in the left upper part on the site?)

His personality is now loved by people even out of figure skating fandom. He sometimes appears on entertainment shows as well(the video I translated on this thread is one of them.) He once worked as a main MC on a special talk show! But it was only once. In anyways OUR Nobu is so much loved by people and doing very well so far!
    Thanks for that, rosewood. Nobu is such a star.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"