Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Sochi judges with past disciplinary issues?

How many Olympic judges previously had suspensions for biased judging or poor performance, or were caught outright cheating? We all know the ladies event had the infamous Ukranian/Russian/Israeli Yuri Balkov as a judge, who has been judging for years in all disciplines after being reprimanded for having a conversation with the then Canadian judge-- caught on recording-- about what ordinals should be given for the 1998 Olympic free dance. In addition to Balkov, the ice dance panel in Sochi had its own old time resident cheater, Irina Nechkina of Azerbaijan/Russia. I'm not sure what federation sponsors her today, but she was, as a judge for Azerbaijan, removed from the Olympic panel in 2006 ahead of time for bias. How many others like her and Balkov were around in Sochi?

A lot of skaters would like to see more transparency. If there are individuals who have fixed past results or shown a record of poor performance, the results are going to be more uncertain.

Azerbaijan is one of those countries/federations about which I wonder if it should even have judges or be permitted to function as an independent federation within the ISU.

vCash
    There was also Alla Shekhovtseva, one of the worst judges in skating history, allowed to judge in Sochi.

vCash
    I have a question... How exactly are judges picked for these events? Are they picked by a list submitted by the federations or does the ISU randomly draw from a hat or something?

vCash
    Why do we give these suspended judges all sorts of chances to return to judging at the senior level? Are their skills that irreplaceable? Shouldn't they just be permanently demoted?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Why do we give these suspended judges all sorts of chances to return to judging at the senior level? Are their skills that irreplaceable? Shouldn't they just be permanently demoted?
    “It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    I have a question... How exactly are judges picked for these events? Are they picked by a list submitted by the federations or does the ISU randomly draw from a hat or something?
    To answer your question factually. The ISU draws which countries can have a judge in an event and then the federation decides which judge to send.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    By "skills" I assume you mean the ability to marry and/or befriend the right people.

vCash
    Returning to the senior level is one thing but using them at the Olympics shows ISU cares nothing about credibility to the core base of skating fans. They only care about not getting caught in another public scandal.

So far the IJS has made this possible. Brennan was typically overheated thinking she had a big story after the Ladies event but it never caught fire, at least in N. America.

Sadly, it is no longer newsworthy to write about figure skating and crooked judging.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLucky View Post
    So far the IJS has made this possible. Brennan was typically overheated thinking she had a big story after the Ladies event but it never caught fire, at least in N. America.
    i would say it did catch fire as every blogger who owns a keyboard felt the need to jump on the "Kim wuz robbed" bandwagon in the week following the event. But the fire burnt out quickly because
    1. FS is at an all time fan low in US and we'd obviously rather reheat old tonya/nancy leftovers despite nothing new to say than pay much attention to current events
    2. We don't have a dog in this race. Had YuNa been Gracie this would have lasted longer here. Plus Kim needs another ogm like Bill Gates needs a tax break, so it's hard to sustain outrage.

vCash
    Alla the worst most corrupt Judge ever.. Now sits in
    iSU .. She should be removed along with Kathy Alprin another corrupt Judge

vCash
    The judges shouldn't be able to switch federations. There seems to be so many Russian sounding name judges, like Olga from Finland.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    To answer your question factually. The ISU draws which countries can have a judge in an event and then the federation decides which judge to send.
    Thanks! So then how the federations choose?

vCash
    I am a skipping record on this one point since I don't have detailed knowledge or understanding, but I am concerned that some federations, namely AZE, send contingents of both judges and skaters who are 100% former competitors or officials for Russia. It seems unjustified to give them a separate judging position in Olympic and World panels. Is this just an anomaly that nothing can be done about? It makes the sport look bad. I'm sure of that much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    Thanks! So then how the federations choose?
    I am not sure.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    The judges shouldn't be able to switch federations. There seems to be so many Russian sounding name judges, like Olga from Finland.
    She has been living an Finland over 20 years. And Olga could be a Finnish, Swedish or German name, too...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnice View Post
    She has been living an Finland over 20 years. And Olga could be a Finnish, Swedish or German name, too...

I doubt that Baranova could be a German name...or a Finnish name.

vCash
    So if someone moves, you suggest that they no longer be allowed to be associated with figure skating?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    So if someone moves, you suggest that they no longer be allowed to be associated with figure skating?

IMO, in a certain way, that person should still be associated with the country that person was born in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by David21 View Post
    IMO, in a certain way, that person should still be associated with the country that person was born in.
    What if they have dual nationality?

ETA: at my typo!
    Last edited by antmanb; 03-17-2014 at 02:12 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    What if they have duel nationality?

The same applies.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast