Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

vCash
    Thanks for sharing this! Lucky you , to work with skaters in their own living room. The Ashley cover looks beautiful, I always thought she was pageant queen pretty.

vCash
    The photographer is Mr. Jayar, and he went to Ashley's place to do the shoot. She i very good at her own make up, yes?

Oh, and he has a traveling studio-- he goes where the work is.
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

vCash
    I thought it was great to have some "real" background in the photo shoot - blank walls are not very exciting. You can buy individual issues of IFS. Call their customer service 1-800-437-5828.

vCash
    Jay and gofigure,
    You're doing a wonderful job with IFS. It can't be easy keeping a figure skating magazine alive in the times we're living in so props to you all.
    For the record, I don't think anyone was criticizing Ashley or IFS that she was doing her own makeup, more commenting on how low figure skating is on the totem pole now. You'd probably never catch Serena Williams doing her own makeup for a photo shoot and people probably wish the US champion also had that luxury. I'll admit that Ashley doing her makeup was the first thing I noticed, too. First world problems and all.

BEAUTIFUL photos, Jay! Can't wait to read the cover story, gofigure!
    Last edited by fenway2; 02-23-2013 at 12:58 AM.

vCash
    Why is the make up thing such a big deal? Maybe it's just me but I'm like, who cares?

GF thanks for the info. I'll decide whether I'll look into it or not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post
    Wedding pictures are rarely done in a studio though? Most people I know do them 'on location' either close to the wedding or in park/ocean front or something.

Ashley looks gorgeous, and I liked the way she did her hair and makeup!
    In my neck of the woods, the bride's official portrait (and often now that of both the bride and groom) which appears in the newspaper after the wedding is quite often done in a studio. He would need a studio to accommodate those choosing that option.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Why is the make up thing such a big deal? Maybe it's just me but I'm like, who cares?

GF thanks for the info. I'll decide whether I'll look into it or not.
    No one has said they cared, they were just expressing their surprise. Maybe Ashley is only a celebrity to skating fans, bus as such most expect a "celebrity" to have a hair and make-up person for magazine cover shoots and even to provide outfits for them to wear. It appeared Ashely might have used her own clothes. Oh! I shouldn't have said that as I might be accused of making a big deal out of it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    The photographer is Mr. Jayar, and he went to Ashley's place to do the shoot. She i very good at her own make up, yes?

Oh, and he has a traveling studio-- he goes where the work is.
    I thought Jay Adeff was the photographer

http://www.jayadeff.com/figureskating.htm

Go Denmark!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    In my neck of the woods, the bride's official portrait (and often now that of both the bride and groom) which appears in the newspaper after the wedding is quite often done in a studio. He would need a studio to accommodate those choosing that option.
    oh people put their picture in the paper? I see - it didn't even occur to me. I always just see my friends FB pictures of them in the park .
    (I had mine taken by a amateur photographer friend, we were young and on a budget).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    I thought Jay Adeff was the photographer

http://www.jayadeff.com/figureskating.htm
    Yes, that's me (Jay Adeff). Jayar made a little typo Everything else he said was quite accurate.

vCash
    Ashley looks fabulous! Yay for her!

O-

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Great job, Jeff! Thanks for years of terrific photography!

Thanks, gofigure for the info, definitely will get a copy.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Ashley is a photograper's dream, and she's very friendly and easy to work with

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    Jay and gofigure,
    You're doing a wonderful job with IFS. It can't be easy keeping a figure skating magazine alive in the times we're living in so props to you all.
    For the record, I don't think anyone was criticizing Ashley or IFS that she was doing her own makeup, more commenting on how low figure skating is on the totem pole now. You'd probably never catch Serena Williams doing her own makeup for a photo shoot and people probably wish the US champion also had that luxury. I'll admit that Ashley doing her makeup was the first thing I noticed, too. First world problems and all.

BEAUTIFUL photos, Jay! Can't wait to read the cover story, gofigure!
    Thanks for the kind words, but I want to point that I am but part of a hard working and very talented team of writers, photographers, editors, and graphic artists who collaborate to produce a magazine that we all love and are very proud and honored to work for and contribute to. And I have to give the executive editor the biggest credit for putting this team together and inspiring us to produce the best work we are capable of.

vCash
    Ashley looks great as usual. She has such a cute and unique sense of style, I love it! Also her arms are so buff, guess I hadn't realized how strong she really is through the upper body before. She rocks that look though like JoRo always did.

vCash
    Sorry I didn't mean to imply that you were the only one responsible for IFS. I know there's an entire team working on the excellent magazine.

vCash
    What a cool looking cat you are holding Jay, in that photo on your website.

And you're looking too!

ETA:
    What is it that you enjoy the most about photographing figure skaters that might be different from photographing other subjects/ other athletes?
    Last edited by aftershocks; 02-23-2013 at 07:50 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    What a cool looking cat you are holding Jay, in that photo on your website.

And you're looking too!

ETA:
    What is it that you enjoy the most about photographing figure skaters that might be different from photographing other subjects/ other athletes?
    {{{BLUSH}}}

That's Samson. He passed away a couple years ago from cancer. He was my baby and slept with me every night sprawled across my chest so that I would rub his belly while he purred away contentedly...

I've been a fan of figure skating for a long time, as well as photography. It was just natural to combine the two (and I have my partner Jayar to thank for pushing me in that direction). I think what I like most of all is the combination of action and beauty. I love photographing action because of the technical challenge and rewards of capturing the moment, but I also love photographing people and making them look better than they ever thought they could look.

vCash
    ^^ What a wonderful name is Samson, for such a cool cat. He must have been a great friend to you. I'm sorry to hear that he passed away. I'm sure he remains in your heart, and having him there with you in the pic on your website is a fitting tribute to his memory.

So glad you have been able to combine the pursuits you love. Thanks for all the wonderful work you do for the sport of figure skating in capturing some special moments.

vCash
    Thank you, Jay, for your latest pics of Ashley (loved the photo shoot), and all your beautiful fs photography through the years!
    Last edited by paskatefan; 02-24-2013 at 11:03 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast