vCash

Another massive dog treat recall

FDA announced recall of following brands of dog treats due to salmonella. The brands are: Boots and Barkley, Bixbi, Nature's Deli, Colorado Natural, Petco and Best Bully Sticks. Treats were sent to stores between from April 20th to September 19th. For lot numbers of recalled treats, go to http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com or visit their facebook page.

vCash
    The website seems to be down but the facebook page has all the information

vCash
    Buy this:

http://www.naturapet.com/

No recalls. Stringent manufacturing standards. The "about" tab has a drop down menu, click "manufacturing quality" and you can watch a brief video about their standards.

vCash
    Nutri Vet brand added to list today

vCash
    Bumping this up because more lot numbers/ brands added, list to long to list here, again see Dog Food Advisor for details on all three recalls issued this week.

vCash
    bump

Going on diet soon
    vCash
    Thanks for the heads up
    Crows and Eville SQUIRRELS love peanuts!

vCash
    You're welcome

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Buy this:

http://www.naturapet.com/

No recalls. Stringent manufacturing standards. The "about" tab has a drop down menu, click "manufacturing quality" and you can watch a brief video about their standards.
    Another option is Orijen/Acana. Manufactured in Canada and sourced locally.

http://www.championpetfoods.com/

I used to buy Natura products a lot for my cat (and still do occasionally) but frankly have been worried since the company was bought out by Proctor and Gamble a couple years ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elka_sk8 View Post
    Another option is Orijen/Acana. Manufactured in Canada and sourced locally.

http://www.championpetfoods.com/

I used to buy Natura products a lot for my cat (and still do occasionally) but frankly have been worried since the company was bought out by Proctor and Gamble a couple years ago.
    P&G has fully maintained the integrity of the manufacturing process. They have, in fact, had workers and management from their nearby Iams facility come to the Natura plant to learn better safety and cleanliness standards and sent workers temporarily from Natura to a Eukanuba plant for the same purpose. Quality of ingredients has not changed at all. Something a lot of customers seem unaware of is that P&G did not buy Natura because Natura was struggling, rather Natura's original owners chose to sell (due to advancing age, they are in their mid-80s) and sought out the company most readily committed to maintaining the high standards they had already set.

Here is everything that has changed at Natura:

*Benefits for employees. They improved. Including cheaper insurance, profit sharing, more sick leave and more vacation time.
    *Shift schedules changed.
    *Faster completion of a plant expansion project that was already underway.
    *Fewer cash bonuses (The Rademachers were excessively generous people and are missed).

That is it. As an example of high quality ingredients, they still use the expensive pears wrapped individually in tissue. I'm sure you've seen those at the grocery store. Takes employees a lot of time to stand around unwrapping the things, but they are the best quality. They test every batch of food and do swabs on machinery and the entire environment daily to test for bacteria such as salmonella. They hold nothing in their warehouse beyond three months and very rarely that long. My husband was astounded that a pet food company would even have treats on the shelf to recall produced last September, let alone last April.
    Last edited by PDilemma; 02-24-2013 at 07:31 PM.

vCash
    Thanks for keeping us informed judiz: The scope of this is alarming.

vCash
    I second that - I try to be careful, but it's really difficult to know what's safe anymore.

Does anyone know anything about a snack called NY Bon Bone or one called Fruitables? My dogs love the Bon Bones and the advertising on the package says they are approved by the Whole Dog Journal so Im hoping they're okay. But what about Fruitables? Does anyone know anything about them?

Any other recommended safe snacks?

vCash
    Check the websites The Dog Food Advisor or The Truth About Pet Food for reviees of food and treats.