KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash

Boston/NYC folks: share your Fung Wah Bus horror stories

For those of you from Boston or New York, you've probably heard about - or gambled your life on - the Fung Wah bus, a popular, cheap bus service linking the Chinatowns of the two cities. It used to be just $10 each way and is still a bargain at $15.

In the past, the buses have rolled over, had their wheels fly off, or have blown up in flames.

This priceless report aired on WBZ Channel 4 in Boston last night showed how Massachusetts has stepped up their inspections in the last few weeks and ordered most company-owned buses off the road.

Today, the federal government acted on the Massachusetts recommendations and ordered Fung Wah to cease service. As of this moment, Fung Wah is getting around the federal order by contracting outside charter buses to complete their Boston-NYC schedules.

Have any of you ridden the Chinatown buses? Have any horror stories to share?

I've ridden Fung Wah many times in their early days and found it an exercise in holding your breath the whole way, whether due to unpleasant neighbors or the sight of the driver yakking nonstop on a phone or radio, all while driving a busy interstate highway at 80mph with one palm massaging the steering wheel oh-so-casually. I've long since used marginally less sketchy Chinatown companies like Lucky Star; switched to Megabus, Boltbus, or the former Greyhound/Peter Pan monopoly; or taken the Delta/USAir shuttles or Amtrak.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Plus, the Yelp reviews make for some great entertainment:

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher M
    You haven't spent your teens or twenties in Boston unless you've taken the Fung Wah to New York City. The ride is an experience in and of itself, and a quintessential part of being young and poor (like how all your glassware is stolen from local bars, and your entertainment center is two cinder blocks and a 2x4).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey M
    Your Fung Wah pilot will bang on the control panel with his/her fist every now and then when the control panel blinks and fades out (just like Han Solo did in Star Wars), but $15 bucks for a trip from Boston to NYC...tell me it ain't worth it? It's an adventure, and you'll love the ride...believe me.
    Quote Originally Posted by L J
    For your own sake, Don't sit behind the driver. I was in the first row, and holy shit, if I wasn't drunk and falling asleep I would have had a panic attack. When I came to from unconsciousness, I was checking his mirrors and shit as he merged lanes, gripping the bar in front of me as we cruised towards stopped traffic.

The guy drives like I do when I'm high-- smooth for the most part, but randomly brakes and nervously looks around once in a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Y
    Normally a bus that catches on fire gets one star. BUT the joy of sharing a packed bus catching fire with loud chinese people and college students earns that 2nd coveted star.
    Quote Originally Posted by EricaLynn J
    (breakdown of star selection: -5 stars for safety, +17 stars for ridiculous soap operas, +3 stars for speed, -10 stars because that speed is totally illegal and can kill me, -1 star because it stops at McDonalds or a nasty Chinese buffet in CT as a means for a 'break' and gives less than 10 minutes, +4 for the buses being available to leave every hour or sometimes even every half hour, -5 because there's a really good chance you're going to be sitting across from really dumb people (see above). Total = 3 stars.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sereia C
    Dogs...so apparently they aren't allowed. My first time on it, it was fine to bring my dog in a carrier on the bus to NYC, but against the rules on the bus going back to Boston. Had to smuggle him on. At 20 pounds, it was pretty much hoping he'd stay still as I disguised myself as a deformed pregnant woman and stretched my shirt over him as I walked on.

vCash
    I have not had the "pleasure" of being a passenger, but I have many horror stories from driving on the highway with them. I live in CT, so there is a constant Fung Wah parade, and I have been cut off, tail-gated at 80 mph - you name it. My favorite was when the driver parked the bus at a rest area, and blocked the exit from the McDonald's drive-thru, which I was attempting to exit. Of course it was pouring out, and after honking my horn and gesturing to him for five minutes to back up, I finally had to get out of the car, run to the bus, and tell him. I've got your Fung Wah right here, buddy.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i thought this was going to be about the shuttle service at 2014 nats ...
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!