Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

vCash
    This is one of my favorites because the crowd was clapping loudly at the beginning and gave a standing ovation at the end.

Elaine Zayak 1994 US Nationals LP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadask8er View Post
    Barbara Underhill and Paul Martini 1984

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReTmpfiimoc

Hoping to experience a moment like this in less than 3 weeks!
    Oh what a thrill. I had never seen a video of them competing live. Thank you so much for the link.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2010 Nationals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by figuristka View Post
    I was sitting just one section over. What a great night it was with Shawn and Patrick.
    I was there too. One of the best nights of skating I've ever seen

vCash
    Man this thread is bringing back a lot of good memories. Thanks, guys!
    Crazy about sports!

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Favourite ones that I saw live-(and neither skater was a home country skater)

Kevin Van der Perrin in Mississauga 2003 (Free skate). He had been 11th in the short and off the radar. His Robin Hood free skate (3rd place in the FP) was wonderful, and he landed everything he needed to and won over the crowd.

(This next one is obscure- I doubt there's a video of it)

4ccs in Hamilton 2004. Miguel Angelo Moyron from Mexico. He had barely finished the short- ending at least 15 seconds after the music and landing nothing of note- I think he was last or second last). In the free he came out and did everything he could (Sals and Toes, I think- I don't remember if he even had a loop) and skated with passion and enjoyment- at least half the audience stood up for him. He managed to move up to 17th and was thrilled.

That's why I love figure skating.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    Very nice post, cygnus. This is why I love figure skating too. I love the programs where people do excellent jumps or even achieve new results, but I also love the people who don't necessarily have all the jumps, yet give everything they have in that program with great artistry and even though they have no chance to medal, still skate for the joy of skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
    Favourite ones that I saw live-(and neither skater was a home country skater)

Kevin Van der Perrin in Mississauga 2003 (Free skate). He had been 11th in the short and off the radar. His Robin Hood free skate (3rd place in the FP) was wonderful, and he landed everything he needed to and won over the crowd.

(This next one is obscure- I doubt there's a video of it)

4ccs in Hamilton 2004. Miguel Angelo Moyron from Mexico. He had barely finished the short- ending at least 15 seconds after the music and landing nothing of note- I think he was last or second last). In the free he came out and did everything he could (Sals and Toes, I think- I don't remember if he even had a loop) and skated with passion and enjoyment- at least half the audience stood up for him. He managed to move up to 17th and was thrilled.

That's why I love figure skating.
    Hamilton -- the Mexican skaters!!!! YES! I think I was there and part of the group who gave him a standing O and cheering madly for the rest of the team.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    winter is my fave mens short program
    LOVE!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    Yagudin's Winter at Nagano Worlds 2002. I always find it both moving and amusing.
    The fact that it's post- Olympics and in Japan combine. It's not even that there's standing ovation before it's over- not so much- as a total pandemonium afterwards. Half of the audience is running to the ice.
    http://youtu.be/qyjX2N18EF8

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post

Michelle Kwan 2004 U.S. Nationals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWQSoIEAxns

I was there and it was truly amazing. I always wished I could see Michelle Kwan have, or in her case, have another "skate of a lifetime". Had the opportunity to meet her the summer prior and asked if we would see her in Atlanta. She told me she hadn't decided. Sure enough she was back to compete, I was there to see her, and she had another skate of a lifetime. And yes, the whole arena was on their feet at least 30 seconds before she even finished. We were crying, she was crying, it seemed like everyone was crying. A moment I'll cherish and never forget. Thanks Michelle!

vCash
    Oh, yes, I remember the Mexican skaters in Hamilton. They didn't spin so much as hop in a circle, but they had such a love of skating. They got SOs just for showing up and being so happy.

vCash
    There's always this one:

Tonya Harding 1991 US Nationals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3P7wxwMMUU
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

In the mountains, where hippies and hillbillies collide!
    vCash
    My favorite will always be the standing ovation LONG before Mishkutenok & Dmitriev finished 'Liebestraum' at the 1991 Worlds IMHO the greatest pairs performance of all time

vCash
    ^Just watched it. Breathtaking!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Taso View Post
    My favorite will always be the standing ovation LONG before Mishkutenok & Dmitriev finished 'Liebestraum' at the 1991 Worlds IMHO the greatest pairs performance of all time
    Yes ! Just watched it too ! It seems Artur can't hear the end of the music and didn't know when to stop, lol !

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    I would have loved to have seen this live. 'Liebestraum' is one of my all time favorite pieces of music.

vCash
    This skate by Elvis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l87lYOEagVg. His "comeback" skate at 2001 Skate Canada in Saskatoon, after battling injuries for a few seasons. I was there live, and the arena was electric. Standing O when he took the ice, then you could hear a pin drop as he started the program. The crowd went bananas every time he landed a jump. He had a fabulous skate, and the standing O started again while he was in his final spin. I was near tears the entire time; Elvis was my favorite skater growing up, and this was my first time seeing him compete live. Amazing moment!

vCash
    Omg this puts me in yet another M&D nostalgia mood. I adored them, they were AMAZING, and watching their youtube videos still gives me the chills. I think they never got their due as a pair because of their unhappy off-ice relationship, and later on Artur wanted to promote his new partnership with Oksana Kazakova. But I loved them.

vCash
    Most of these programs did not receive a standing ovation long before they ended.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Most of these programs did not receive a standing ovation long before they ended.
    Party pooper.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast