Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    It's nothing to do with sentimental value.

She was an incredibly powerful and talented skater with fantastic jumps who could have won many European, World and Olympic medals if she did her 100% in competition. But that never happened.

She also had some creative, sophisticated and commendable music choices and choreography. Outside of the box and not the usual overused stuff or cheesy tinkly piano crap.

It's a shame that her and Rechnio could never hold it together enough between two programs to ever make a podium at the major events.

Blergh
    vCash
    Do you think that a part of why she went the obscure, "creative" route was because if she wouldn't have done it, then there was no way she really would have stood out? Yes, she was fast, and her jumps (when done) were nice. But she was hardly consistent, and it's not as if her lines or skating skills would have put her over the edge. It seems sort of strategic in some aspect.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    I don't think Hubert is deserving of all the attention she gets on here. She must have sentimental value for some posters, for I do not get her skating. She perhaps was like Fumie Suguri is for many of us today, a figure who spanned several Olympiads and provided an amusing continuity.
    I agree with this ... to a point.

She stood to make a lot of money as a seeded skater in a post-Olympic year, yet she chose to march to the (kooky percussion) beat of a different drummer.

I love this "mainstream" program of hers (her speed going into the 3T+3T is amazing):

http://youtu.be/2sVv91F7-Jg

She had speed, good jumps, decent spins and spirals ... when she cared about them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by all_empty View Post

http://youtu.be/2sVv91F7-Jg

She had speed, good jumps, decent spins and spirals ... when she cared about them.
    Isn't she kind of just going up and down the ice? With the 5.4-5.6s for presentation, the judges must have been pulling for her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Do you think that a part of why she went the obscure, "creative" route was because if she wouldn't have done it, then there was no way she really would have stood out? Yes, she was fast, and her jumps (when done) were nice. But she was hardly consistent, and it's not as if her lines or skating skills would have put her over the edge. It seems sort of strategic in some aspect.
    Yeah, it also seems like the French all go in that direction--they all for a time used Maxime Rodriguez--so it isn't like she would have had a lot of other influences. I don't think she was original at all in the context of French skating.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 03-07-2013 at 09:46 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    It's nothing to do with sentimental value.

She was an incredibly powerful and talented skater with fantastic jumps who could have won many European, World and Olympic medals if she did her 100% in competition. But that never happened.

She also had some creative, sophisticated and commendable music choices and choreography. Outside of the box and not the usual overused stuff or cheesy tinkly piano crap.

It's a shame that her and Rechnio could never hold it together enough between two programs to ever make a podium at the major events.
    Who does or did "tinkly piano crap"?

vCash
    I don't think Hubert is deserving of all the attention she gets on here. She must have sentimental value for some posters, for I do not get her skating. She perhaps was like Fumie Suguri is for many of us today, a figure who spanned several Olympiads and provided an amusing continuity.
    So are you saying that only multiple medalists and champions are deserving of threads on here? We can talk about who we want. You don't get her skating - fine - but some do.

Maybe she did go down the "voidy" route to hide her weaknesses, but so what - what a creative way to get her skating noticed. It's not a crime. Or maybe, just maybe, that was just her style and personality?!

Hubert was never going to be the best in the world, but I appreciated her for what she was. I apologise if I am wrong for this

vCash
    You are not wrong for defending the right to post about her. Everyone I hope agrees with that, and I agree this prostitute program is unusual. Perhaps I would like Hubert if she wasn't so sloppy on her landings. I think it's good to hear honest reactions to her programs. When I watch her what I feel is boredom.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    In general, I'd say that Hubert tended to be one of the fastest skaters in the world. That was certainly the case at 1998 Worlds, which was the only time when I saw her skate live.
    98 Worlds was the only World championships I have been to and Hubert did stand out for me. I agree about her speed, although I think Rechnio was the one that blew everyone away with her speed. But I certainly remember seeing Hubert doing a 3lz-3t in practise which was amazing.

I have a soft spot for Hubert. She may not have been the most sophisticated or polished skater but there was something really interesting about her. Always loved her music choices, particularly Dead Can Dance FS. And her SP from 95 Worlds was the first time I saw her which she skated to the Tango from Cirque du Solei.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    You are not wrong for defending the right to post about her. Everyone I hope agrees with that, and I agree this prostitute program is unusual. Perhaps I would like Hubert if she wasn't so sloppy on her landings. I think it's good to hear honest reactions to her programs. When I watch her what I feel is boredom.
    Don't worry, we'll keep posting things about the finer points in her programs and turn you into an Hubert uber before long.

Team Voronov, party of 1
    vCash
    Re: Hubert's voidiness. I think it was partly strategic. Towards the end of her career (2002), she, just like Gusmeroli, went with much more conventional programs. And her results plunged at SLC even with a four triple freeskate (and a 3lutz-3toe).

For me, Hubert was a great power skater with amazing speed, huge (out of control) jumps, and very interesting programs. I think her 97-98 programs were her best ever: very interesting, voidy, yet still accessible enough for the judges. Hooker on Crack is legendary but definitely a step down in content compared to her Dead Can Dance (or even 96-97 Big Band LP).

ITA with Ziggy, I wish she could have medalled once at Worlds (hell,even Euros!). She was so close in 92 and especially 98! (Damn you, Butyrskaya!)

vCash
    Who does or did "tinkly piano crap"?
    90% of ladiezzz throughout skating history?

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Always loved her music choices, particularly Dead Can Dance FS.
    And one can never forget the 'special' performance of it in Nagano, where she skated looking like she had severe gastritis, walking through all of her jumps. I have never seen anything like that before or since.

Tinami 2012
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alchemy void View Post
    She was so close in 92 and especially 98! (Damn you, Butyrskaya!)
    In both cases, the old majority ordinal system did her in. Using the OBO method adopted from fall of 1998 onward, Hubert would've medalled in both 1992 and 1998. (In '98 because Butyrskaya would have been knocked to 7th in the short.)

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    Maybe she did go down the "voidy" route to hide her weaknesses, but so what - what a creative way to get her skating noticed. It's not a crime. Or maybe, just maybe, that was just her style and personality?!
    Exactly, does it really matter why? She went for that style, and people liked it, and now they talk about it. Personally, I never got Hubert and never fell for her as I did other French skaters, but I can see why this particular program gets discussed in the way Markova's Let My People Go gets discussed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    In both cases, the old majority ordinal system did her in. Using the OBO method adopted from fall of 1998 onward, Hubert would've medalled in both 1992 and 1998. (In '98 because Butyrskaya would have been knocked to 7th in the short.)
    To make things worse, I believe the final skater in both the SP and LP at 1992 Worlds (Harding was last in the SP, I forget about LP-- maybe Tonya again?) caused a huge ordinal shift and caused Laetitia to move down in the short and Chen up in the long.

Blergh
    vCash
    90% of ladiezzz throughout skating history?
    When I think of "twinkly piano crap," the first skater that comes to mind is Maria Butyrskaya and then Johnny Weir. Of course, I actually enjoy their twinkly piano routines.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    When I think of "twinkly piano crap," the first skater that comes to mind is Maria Butyrskaya and then Johnny Weir. Of course, I actually enjoy their twinkly piano routines.
    You are right but Butyrskaya took it to another level. Nobody did elegant, feminine, passionate skating like her. She was the real diva.

vCash
    You are right but Butyrskaya took it to another level. Nobody did elegant, feminine, passionate skating like her. She was the real diva.
    She also skated to music that wasn't intended to make you smile and feel like you are in a Walt Disney musical or at church listening to harps. It was brilliant the sophistication of the artistry in her programs. I admit, I didn't realize how sensual and original she was at expressing feeling until Scene D'Amour. Seventeen Moments of Spring is my personal favorite.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 03-11-2013 at 09:11 AM.

vCash
    I miss her.

vCash
    I miss her.
    I think many of us do! I miss all women from that era, except Fumie. We can't miss Fumie because she is still here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast