vCash

Skaters' style (same coaches/choreograhers)

I've just recently started thinking about how some coaches leave their mark on skaters and how others just improve what is already there.

(Not attacking anyone!!!!)
    Carol Heiss Jenkins girls always had similar styles/packaging. Most seemed reminders of Carol's own style.
    The Scotvolds packaging of Paul and Nancy, whom they coached at the same time, seemed different.

vCash
    The Scotvolds were turning Jenny Kirk into a mini-Kerrigan.

Josee Chouinard tried to turn Yoshia Onda into a mini version of herself. It was disastrous.

The one season that Toller Cranston was coaching Bowman, he had Bowman do some Toller-esque move in his LP. Toller did the same thing with Collin Van der Veen. I thought it was the wrong thing to do to have his students more or less imitate his style.

Did Tonia K. and Lisa Ervin skate like Heiss? Maybe Ervin did; Her upper body was more stiff-like than Tonia K. Perhaps that reflected the style that Carol was used to in the 60s.

vCash
    Tonia and Lisa were even styled like Carol.

vCash
    Johnny Weir's use of the arms and hands was very similar to the grace and elegance of his coach Priscillia Hill.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Johnny Weir's use of the arms and hands was very similar to the grace and elegance of his coach Priscillia Hill.
    He wasn't really coached by Petrenko, I know, but he was coached by Zmievskaya and I can see some similarities between him, Petrenko and Baiul in the way they carry themselves on the ice.

vCash
    I love Jeff Buttle's style. Who is he coaching? And in his own style? Jeff is so graceful.

vCash
    I think it is a good thing that Javier Fernandez seems to have taken on Brian Orser's style.

vCash
    I was not a fan at all when Orser and Wilson had Javier skating like an Orser's clone. There was less of that last season, I thought, so that was a good step forward.

vCash
    Viktoria Volchkova has definitely left her mark on Polina Korobeynikova. Polina jumps just like her imo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post
    Tonia and Lisa were even styled like Carol.
    I kind of found the similar styling amusing. Dick Button used to comment that Kwiatkowski's "preparedness" was the result of "Carol's meticulous care."

I also found Amber Corwin and Charlene Wong to give off a similar "air".