Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    ridin my horse named Bob
    vCash
    Well they better send him to Sochi. I've only watched two videos of him but it's clear to me how talented he is and I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up with the gold medal. I get the feeling this season is *his* season.
    PLUSHENKO YOU ARE ALWAYS THE BEST

ridin my horse named Bob
    vCash
    Okay now I've watched 3 videos. And I all the top men better watch them too because guys-here's who you need to beat this season. Not joking. Han Yan is skating's best-kept secret.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
    Loved his SP at CoC, honestly if the Chinese Fed does not send him to Sochi, they are stupid.

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I am so thrilled for Han Yan! Wonderful jumps and spins and committed to presenting the program! Please hang on - this could be your ticket to Sochi.
    I think all Yan needs all along is to beat Nan Song by a considerable margin (instead of just a little bit in one or two competitions). Now that he's done it, his chance to Sochi is pretty good.

vCash
    Congrats to Han Yan on winning his first Senior GP, great kid. What would Yan have to do to make the Chinese team for the Olympics, win Nationals? Does the 1st place finisher at the National Championships automatically go to Worlds and Olympics in the Chinese selection system?

vCash
    Not sure why China wouldn't send this kid to Sochi. Nan Song isn't competitive against the top skaters and Han can only get better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    Congrats to Han Yan on winning his first Senior GP, great kid. What would Yan have to do to make the Chinese team for the Olympics, win Nationals? Does the 1st place finisher at the National Championships automatically go to Worlds and Olympics in the Chinese selection system?
    I believe their selection this time round will be based on a mixture of national (30%) and international (70%) results.

First the Jr World title, then a 4CC medal, and now a senior GP title. He is hard to deny. So is that 50 point margin over Song Nan.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    The first competition I watched Han Yan skate online was the JGP in Istanbul, Turkey in October 2009 which he won - his winning FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WRUtlWzwXI
    FS protocols: http://www.isuresults.com/results/jg..._FS_Scores.pdf

Playlist of Han Yan videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL21B2B28FEBF38DDD
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    On his Chinese Twitter (weibo), he said he was glad that the judges were so appreciative of his skating and this gave him much more confidence. He said he believe he could further improve and that this was only the beginning.

Even Johnny Weir cheered for him after the short. (who knew he had Chinese Twitter?!)

vCash
    What a senior debut. In the grandest of ways. Much room for improvement in terms of presentation, but Han Yan is clearly born to be a skater

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    What a senior debut. In the grandest of ways. Much room for improvement in terms of presentation, but Han Yan is clearly born to be a skater
    While there's no denying it was a strong performance, he was at last season at Four Continents, winning bronze.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    While there's no denying it was a strong performance, he was at last season at Four Continents, winning bronze.
    Yes, but this is his first full senior season and I feel that the GP was more of an official introduction to the senior ranks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    Yes, but this is his first full senior season and I feel that the GP was more of an official introduction to the senior ranks.
    Fair enough. I sorta agree with you, though just as much in reverse - if someone skates the senior GP but isn't old enough to go to Worlds (see the Russian ladies), I don't consider them fully senior yet.

Anyway, Yan was awesome and I do hope he goes to the Olympics and Worlds and earns a second spot for China. The 2015-2018 quad is going to be immense.

vCash
    Someone please get him a performance skills coach. Because pretty much everything else is there.

(Well the SP choreography is kind crap and the FS choreography lacks variety but well it's Nichol so what can you expect)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I believe their selection this time round will be based on a mixture of national (30%) and international (70%) results.

First the Jr World title, then a 4CC medal, and now a senior GP title. He is hard to deny. So is that 50 point margin over Song Nan.
    Nan Song usually was stronger than Han Yan at Nationals and other domestic competitions if memory serves but IMO it would be a mistake on the part of the Federation if they kept pushing Nan over Yan. I don't mean to be disrespectful to Song but I just feel that the judges simply don't like his skating. Last year he turned to Jeffrey Buttle for choreography and while Jeffrey is an excellent CoP choreographer, Song didn't score any higher on PCS (TR and CH included) than when his programs were all about jumps. By contrast, the judges seem to appreciate Yan's qualities, and for good reason, I think.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    Nan Song usually was stronger than Han Yan at Nationals and other domestic competitions if memory serves but IMO it would be a mistake on the part of the Federation if they kept pushing Nan over Yan. I don't mean to be disrespectful to Song but I just feel that the judges simply don't like his skating. Last year he turned to Jeffrey Buttle for choreography and while Jeffrey is an excellent CoP choreographer, Song didn't score any higher on PCS (TR and CH included) than when his programs were all about jumps. By contrast, the judges seem to appreciate Yan's qualities, and for good reason, I think.
    Well Song Nan was beating Yan Han by a few points at the last national event, which is irrelevant now that Yan Han is beating Song Nan by 50 points internationally.

The interesting thing is that Song Nan tends to be much more consistent when skating domestically (thus justifying his wins there) but Yan Han absolutely outshines him internationally. In any event, the national judges are not (yet) giving Yan Han the PCS advantage over Song Nan the way the international judges are. Perhaps they will, after this huge win (and second consecutive head-to-head win over Nan Song after 2013 4CCs).

From a previous document, it seems like the qualifying score for each skater for Sochi will be determined as 30% of the best national score and 70% of the best international score for this season. The only way Song Nan can make up ground now is to try and beat Yan Han as much as possible nationally and also match Yan Han's international score. Song Nan's personal best total score is 228.46, and Yan Han scored 245.62 at COC, so barring some major disaster for Yan Han or some miracle for Song Nan, I think the men's spot is set.

ETA: this is the article on qualification criteria http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2013-08-...66713776.shtml
    Last edited by Marco; 11-05-2013 at 04:06 AM.

ridin my horse named Bob
    vCash
    So part of moving is (gasp!) throwing away fs stuff and I came across an article that moved me to suggest here another reason to send this talented young man to Sochi: if he wins he'll be the third man to win in his Olympic debut.

vCash
    Looking forward to Yan skating against Patrick Chan for the first time (not counting WTT) at Trophee Bompard. It would be a good experience for him.
    Last edited by daydreamangel; 11-06-2013 at 12:57 PM.

vCash
    A great interview of Yan right before GPF (copy from twitter). He's really a smart boy.

Q: Have you ever thought about making it to the GPF in your debut on the senior Grand Prix circuit?
    A: I didnít. This is my first season on the senior circuit. Before Cup of China, I was not sure how the competition would go and whether the judges would buy my programs. So I didnít think about the GPF at all. Winning at the Cup of China kept the door open and I started contemplating the possibility of qualifying for the GPF.

Q: The competition at TEB was fierce, and you ended up at the 4th place. It was not your best performance, given that you had a fever. What do you think?
    A: Well, I did meet the goal I set for TEB, finishing in the top 4 so that I would qualify for the GPF. Of course I hoped to make it on the podium, but I didnít accomplish that. I doní think it could all be attributed to the fever. I mean I lost some stamina but had I had a very good stamina to begin with, I could have performed better. But I am happy that I can go to the GPF.

Q: At TEB, you competed with a couple exceptional skaters, including your idol Patrick Chan. What was in your mind about competing with him during the same competition?
    A: Chan has always been my idol and I learned a lot from him. He put on an exceptional performance there. To me, he has changed a lot, not necessarily the progress he has made on the technical side, but the manner he has while on ice. When he first won Worlds a couple years ago, he looked like a young skater, but now his dominance has fully come out.

Q: Russiaís Kovtun and you both made it to the Final in your debut on the senior Grand Prix circuit. What do you think is the difference between you and skaters such as Patrick Chan and Daisuke Takahashi?
    A: I think itís mostly about the experiences. In terms of the technical side, we all can do quads, and of course it depends on the day if we can successfully execute the jumps. But experience is the most valuable. To me, Takahashi stands out from the rest. Once he steps on the ice, he is fully expressing himself. He is not only a skater, but a dancer! My goal at this moment is to complete all the planned elements. In terms of music interpretation and expression, I am not quite there yet. And thatís the area I need to learn and improve.

Q: What is your goal at the Final?
    A: In terms of placement, I didnít set a goal for myself. Itís totally fine if I end up last place. I could lose to any of the skaters, but I hope that I wonít be too behind in terms of the scores Ė a couple of points, or ten points or so are fine. I will try my best so that I wonít be behind by 20-30 points. Thatís right, you can write that my goal is to finish in the top 6 at the Final.

Q: We heard that you could do two kinds of quads in training since 2011. But you havenít used that in competition. Why so?
    A: There is a difference between doing a jump in practice and successfully executing it in competition. During the Grand Prix, my goal was to be consistent since the results would determine who gets to go to Sochi. And I think that it would be enough if I could put up with with my current technical difficulty. In terms of future competitions, if I get to go to the ones I have been looking forward to, such as the Winter Olympics or the Worlds, I hope to step up in terms of technical difficulty. As of right now, my focus is on putting on more complete and consistent performances.

Q: People say that you are the representative of a new generation of Chinese male skaters, not only because of your young age, but also of your solid skating skills, which set you apart from the older generation. What do you think?
    A: Talking about my skating skills, I really need to thank my coach for that. Ever since I was little, she put so much emphasis on skating skills and spins. When I was young, I was good at spins, but not very good at jumps. But my coach was very patient, trying to help me build a good foundation, instead of rushing to all the jumps. I used to not understand my coachís approach because we spent a lot of time practicing skating skills and spins, while skaters under other coaches learned the jumps very quickly. Now thinking back, the approach my coach took was absolutely the right one.

Q: You worked with Lori Nichol for your two programs this year and while you were there, you also received some lessons and training. Whatís your opinion on training aboard?
    A: Where you train is not the most important. If I get to decide who gets to go aboard and study, I would say send our coaches. Only when coaches get to go and learn something new, can they come back and share the knowledge with the skaters. If a skater gets to train aboard, he or she is the only one getting the benefits. And not every skater is suitable/ready for training abroad.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iceflame View Post
    A great interview of Yan right before GPF (copy from twitter).
    Thanks! The source ( @HanYanFanVan ) link is: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rsmv22

Is there a link to the original interview in Chinese? ETA - the interview is contained within this article: http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2013-12-...26914067.shtml

Q: What is your goal at the Final?

A: In terms of placement, I didn’t set a goal for myself. It’s totally fine if I end up last place. I could lose to any of the skaters, but I hope that I won’t be too behind in terms of the scores – a couple of points, or ten points or so are fine. I will try my best so that I won’t be behind by 20-30 points. That’s right, you can write that my goal is to finish in the top 6 at the Final.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-02-2013 at 03:56 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast