Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun Y View Post
    The kid has a dry sense of humor. Some of his weibo (Chinese twitter) tweets are deadpan funny.
    What do they say? I still need to learn Chinese.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    What do they say? I still need to learn Chinese.
    It's kind of hard to translate the humor. He posted a couple of photos of his cat ("pretty girl") and then complained that "pretty girl" chose to poop outside the litter box just to mess with him.

Last year Yan posted a photo at JGPF with Josh Farris and Jason Brown (1, 2, 3), in which he stood in the middle and stuck both hands in front while the other boys held their arms behind him. He said something like "Didn't know where to put my hands. Awkward!"

vCash
    I don't know a thing about humor in Chinese culture, but cat and podium humor have universal charm.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Han's choreography could do with lots of improvements, but as such, his Chinese choreographer did enough to showcase his strength which are his enormous jumps.
    To me his biggest strength is his wonderful flow and ease of movement across the ice - that's how he got the relatively high PCS despite being so wooden in his expression. His choreographer did well picking familiar music for him but he still needs to emote more, skate with a purpose and pack in some more transitions. Right now it looks like he is skating from one end of the ice to the ice aimlessly waiting to jump.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    To me his biggest strength is his wonderful flow and ease of movement across the ice - that's how he got the relatively high PCS despite being so wooden in his expression. His choreographer did well picking familiar music for him but he still needs to emote more, skate with a purpose and pack in some more transitions. Right now it looks like he is skating from one end of the ice to the ice aimlessly waiting to jump.
    Agree with the first part but not the last. I think he's quite musical and the programs were choreographed just fine. If you don't look at his face it is almost perfect. All he needs is more facial expression. his body expression is there already IMO.

vCash
    Many Chinese skaters tend to be rather wooden with their facial expressions. It seems to take them awhile to let loose on the ice and open up and show emotion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Many Chinese skaters tend to be rather wooden with their facial expressions. It seems to take them awhile to let loose on the ice and open up and show emotion.
    Sui /Han came to my mind as an ex exception . They are the rare "show off " type Chinese skaters, kind of natural to them.

vCash
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml8XT32kOec

Watch this program that Han Yan skated at about 10 or 11 years old. You will see he has everything. Not only the technique, but also the presentation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by waltzNo1 View Post

Watch this program that Han Yan skated at about 10 or 11 years old. You will see he has everything. Not only the technique, but also the presentation.
    great!

vCash

That's great, but what are you trying to prove? Why not post a current video of his skating to prove that he has great presentation? If the video says anything, it's that his presentation has actually regressed since he was 10...

vCash
    I am sorry that you don't get my point in a more positive way. But at least you agree that Han can skate well presentation wise even when he was only 10 or 11 years old. So my actual point is that what Han needs now is a good program that can inspire and motivate him. His lack of presentation is not a capability issue.

vCash
    I am sorry that you don't get my point in a more positive way. But at least you agree that Han can skate well presentation wise even when he was only 10 or 11 years old. So my actual point is that what Han needs now is a good program that can inspire and motivate him. His lack of presentation is not a capability issue.
    When Josh was 10 or 11 he could do a Biellmann spin and an I spin.

*shrugs*

What they could do at 10 or 11 is not relevant. Han's focus should be on bringing out what he can do. I don't think anyone ever suggested he wasn't capable of presenting, just that he needed to work on it.

vCash
    Han's PCS marks would indicate he's pretty good in the the presentation category already. I agree with posters saying it's more an issue of having the right vehicle and programs. I am a fan of Yan's SP this season but not so much the FS. He is a powerful skater and I think powerful, dramatic music is good for him - the tango he pulls off very well. While Masquerade is powerful I find it a bit too monotonous, which is accentuated with the way Yan's program is layed out. I think David Wilson could create a great program to highlight Yan's strengths.

vCash
    I am a gushy "uber". Love him, love his waltz-axels, tons of potential here. Wld be fun to see him train outside of China, of course Orser wld be ideal, but wld be interesting to see him as TAT's pet. Or even with Carroll. The Russian commentators on 4cc said he's world champion material, and that's one of the few sane things they said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun Y View Post
    It's kind of hard to translate the humor. He posted a couple of photos of his cat ("pretty girl") and then complained that "pretty girl" chose to poop outside the litter box just to mess with him.
    Here is the pretty girl!!

Yeah he has the most interesting weibo among the Chinese skaters IMO

I doubt any skater will get to train abroad for extended period of time, a few male skaters did attend a summer training camp in Colorado Springs recently though. Before this season started, a federation official mentioned getting foreign choreographer for YAN Han but it apparently did not happen.

vCash
    CBC showed the 4CC men's field today, and the commentators were raving about his jumps, especially the distance he covers on his jumps and how true his lutz is. Tracy Wilson said that she sees real musicality in his lower body, but that his upper body and face don't yet express that. They both agreed with what the Russian commentators said (thanks, MorganaLefay for the quote), that he could be eventual world championship material. I agree.

It will be really interesting to see how he develops as a skater.

vCash
    I am intrigued to follow this talented young skater in future years. And he has a great smile (when he shows it!)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luckiest1 View Post
    I am intrigued to follow this talented young skater in future years. And he has a great smile (when he shows it!)
    Indeed luckiest1. Han Yan definitely has the talent and skills. Hope to see him within the top 5 in future. I think top 10 is within reach for him soon but not too sure about top 5.
    I think Lori can do wonders with him just like she did wonders with Patrick.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Han has everything he needs to be a contender on the World stage, as a senior. He's not even 17 yet and it's all there already. Now it just comes down to harnessing and making the most of his abilities, developing more consistency, control, and maturity, which is likely to come, at least in part, naturally with age. What really stands out to me though is his power! It's rare you see a skater that young with that kind of power and command of the ice. He is a small guy too, a sturdy physique for his age, but really still very small framed, compact, making his explosiveness that much more . He could really be something special in a few years time I think.

vCash

If Skate Asia was after Mar 6.2005...he would be 9..born Mar 3.1996.

Pretty impressive for a 9 year old.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast