Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Thanks! The source ( @HanYanFanVan ) link is: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rsmv22

Is there a link to the original interview in Chinese? ETA - the interview is contained within this article: http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2013-12-...26914067.shtml

Someone seriously created a HanYanFanVan Twitter account? I'm thoroughly amused.

And love his heady goal of "top 6 at GPF."
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Sylvia, thank you for posing the Chinese artilce

Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Someone seriously created a HanYanFanVan Twitter account? I'm thoroughly amused.
    You definitely should be honored as the driver
    Anyway, I think this account is truly cool!

vCash
    quote:

When I was young, I was good at spins, but not very good at jumps. But my coach was very patient, trying to help me build a good foundation, instead of rushing to all the jumps. I used to not understand my coach’s approach because we spent a lot of time practicing skating skills and spins, while skaters under other coaches learned the jumps very quickly. Now thinking back, the approach my coach took was absolutely the right one.

vCash
    Great interview! We will be seeing this kid for a long while to come. He has good skating skills and all the jumps. Go Han Yan. Top six in GPF? Easy peasy!
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    I really like Han Yan (I am still confused about what's his first name). I see him as someone to watch in 2018.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    quote:

Indeed, it's the approach other coaches should consider taking.

I thought Yan is his first name, but it's generally written last per Chinese traditional practice.

Just being in GPF is a huge achievement for a first-year senior. If Han places 6th, he'd probably be thrilled if that same placement transfers to Olympics and Worlds. IMO, Han, Kovtun and Hanyu (regardless of quads) still have a lot of room to improve 're maturity, experience, and artistic expression.

vCash
    YAN is his family name and so he's called YAN Han in China (it's Han YAN in the West): http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00012352.htm

His wiki entry lists him as YAN Han: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yan_Han_(figure_skater)
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Thanks Sylvia. The confusion is because I don't recall any commentators making it clear that the Western way of presenting names was being exclusively used for all Asian skaters. Back when Lulu competed her names were often used interchangeably from event to event.

vCash
    Latest interview with Han Yan (in Chinese with English subtitles)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YwXxRaPdKQ

having a nice day
    vCash
    Great find!! Nice encapsulation of his career to date and interesting tidbits in the interview. Thanks!:-)
    Have a nice day!

vCash
    Thank you gliding. Han Yan should be proud of himself. Incredible that a 17yo be representing his country in Olympics. This experience to skate among the best in a high pressure environment will benefit him post Sochi. His jumps are great and he has speed and ice coverage. All he need is to build his PCs. Looking forward to seeing him winning more medals. Go Han Yan and all the best in Sochi.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Isn't he 18 now? I thought he was only a year younger than Joshua and Jason and they're 19.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iceflame View Post
    A great interview of Yan right before GPF (copy from twitter). He's really a smart boy.

Q: You worked with Lori Nichol for your two programs this year and while you were there, you also received some lessons and training. What’s your opinion on training aboard?
    A: Where you train is not the most important. If I get to decide who gets to go aboard and study, I would say send our coaches. Only when coaches get to go and learn something new, can they come back and share the knowledge with the skaters. If a skater gets to train aboard, he or she is the only one getting the benefits. And not every skater is suitable/ready for training abroad.
    He is really smart! Impressive!

having a nice day
    vCash
    I hope you all caught Han Yan team event sp somewhere on the net since nbc primetime chacked it. It was really really WOW and biiiigggg improvement since we last saw it! This young man is talented with a bright future and it was shameful for nbc to ignore his v gd Olympic debut. But don't worry-he'll be back soon!:-)
    Have a nice day!

vCash
    Sad I missed it, but from the score it must have been a pretty impressive skate, especially considering his age!

vCash
    I am really looking forward to Han Yan's development in the next quad.

vCash
    Han is the third to skate in the last group for men's SP. Wishing him the best of luck.

vCash

vCash
    Textbook triple Axel from Han in the SP. Time to replicate it in the LP, please

vCash
    A few bobbles in the LP, but still a wonderful Olympic debut here.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast