Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    He's a brilliant talent. He's got great basics down the feet and his jumps are spectacular. Posture is one of his major problems but now that he's on dancing classes I'm pretty sure he is working on it. I wish him the best!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by munow View Post
    He's a brilliant talent. He's got great basics down the feet and his jumps are spectacular. Posture is one of his major problems but now that he's on dancing classes I'm pretty sure he is working on it. I wish him the best!
    Actually I think his biggest problem is his lack of any musicality or expressiveness. He is always so absolutely wooden.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by whispering View Post
    Some fans are trying to translate the magazine interview of Han into English.Here is the Q&A part by courtesy of iocy3347
    It's a fun interview. Do you know if anyone is translating the rest of it? I may give it a try later this week.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jjane45 View Post
    It's a fun interview. Do you know if anyone is translating the rest of it? I may give it a try later this week.
    Yes,I will post the rest part (well,actually the main article)later

vCash
    Yes,I will post the rest part (well,actually the main article)later
    great, thank you so much

vCash
    Here is the main article translated by Gliding on ice and iocy3347

Yan Is Ready

For many years, when people talk about Chinese figure skating, it’s all about its strong pairs. The weaker link, single skating, was gradually ignored. In the 1990s, Chen LU, known as the Butterfly on the Ice, is the first Chinese female skater to win Worlds, and medal twice at the Winter Olympics. But no male skater has yet stepped onto the World podium. Chengjiang LI was close: he took silver at the Four Continents when he was 20 years old, and placed fourth at the 2003 World Championships. Certainly, a couple Chinese men medaled in junior competitions. China, however, is still waiting for a true male figure skating star, and perhaps, Han YAN can fill that gap.

On Chinese New Year’s Eve, the programs on TV were demonstrating the same happy atmosphere. Year after year, the TV hosts’ greetings were also getting boring. Switching channels, a handsome young guy appeared: thick eyebrows and big eyes, very serious and focused, and posing handsomely. Oh, it was the Four Continent Figure Skating Championship. As the music was started, the commentary’s voice traveled to my ears: “Han YAN, 16 years old, first time representing China in senior competition, placed second after the short program. Skating to the Masquerade Suites, he would skate second in the final group for the Free Skate.

In the classical music, Han skated so smoothly as if butter has been spread out on his blades. The audience marveled at the speed he entered into his jumps and the height they covered. But when performing the quad toe, he fell harshly. Even though it was his international senior debut, Han did not panic and regrouped quickly. Although the rest of the elements were not flawless, he finished his program and grabbed the bronze medal. This is the first time that a Chinese male skater steps onto the podium at Four Continents since Chengjiang LI’s silver medal back in 2005.

Actually during the Chinese Grand Prix competition three years ago, Chengjiang LI, the No. 1 Chinese male skater back then, spoke highly of Han. “He left me with the best impression – appeared very dominating and did not suffer from stage fright. These qualities are crucial to a male skater. Han’s excellent skating skills gave me another reason to be optimistic on his prospects. Indeed, throughout the competition, Han demonstrated a level of calmness and domination beyond his age, which when combined with his powerful stares, would put people at ease. Only when the score and placement were announced that he smiled lovely.

The calm manners, is perhaps putting on the so-called poker face. Although Han appeared to be calm during his international senior debut, he was trying to hide the shaky feelings inside. “I was okay in the beginning, but after that fall, I blanked out and became a bit nervous afterwards”, Han stroked his chest a few times when we talked about this, as if that trembling was still here. But Han’s coach, Shuguang JIA, was not worried. “I have confidence in Han when he is competing. He rarely makes mistakes in training. Even on those elements of high difficulty, he was able to not fall for ten days or so. He controls his nerves well. Han is the type that the stronger his opponents are, the better off he is. He never says that he is afraid of any challenges. The stronger the opponent, the more he wants to win.” One can certainly tell Coach JIA’s confidence and pride in Han, from her description of his high success rates in training and excitation and dominance in competitions.

Family influence is crucial to one’s personality development, and Han’s calmness and composure can definitely be traced to his upbringings. Han was born into a scholarly family in 1996. His parents pursued high education in Russia and due to work reasons, had to leave a young Han with his maternal grandparents. The love from his grandparents makes up Han’s pity that he only gets to see his parents once a year. On Han’s sixth birthday, his grandfather gave him a pair of ice skates, which made figure skating the main theme of his life. There is the saying that ‘grandchildren get closer to their grandparents, since the bones may be broken but not the tendons’ (implying that children from skipped-generation families are often spoiled). Han’s grandfather, however, is very strict with Han, making no compromise with his manners, handwriting, and training. Han, now very polite and composed, and has really nice handwriting. His grandfather’s contributions to those should not go unnoticed.

Han would like to thank his maternal grandfather first for all his achievements in figure skating. Before Han fully committed himself to figure skating, every day, on that road from his home to the ice rink, there were the young Han and his grandfather, each riding a bike to practice and then back, rain or shine. Coach JIA was also impressed by this: “At that time, Han’s home was kind of far away from the ice rink, separated by two to three districts, but he was never late to practice”. Indeed, at the beginning stage of training, it is a challenge that really tests the guardians’ determination and will.

It is better to find a good teacher than study hard. Han's first coach HUANG Bing recommended him to Coach JIA Shuguang after one year. Coach JIA paid extra attention to this smart little boy, "He can barely do skating movements, even 1A was no good. But he's got excellent talent; we helped him to lay the foundations of skating skill appropriately. There were a lot of kid at that time, great emphasis is placed on Han that his every little mistake would be put right immediately." Han is much more like a simple male classmate we all have, bright and smart, get things done easily, and everyone likes him.

Learning skating step by step, Han began to show superior skating skills, "His blade on ice is like to scrape the bow across the fiddle with great balance and control." This can be rarely seen in China's skating team. "We put emphasis on spin and skating skills instead of jumps. His strong foundations made him easy to handle the jumps." There is no doubt Coach JIA's educational concept contributes to Han's achievement. "We were not hurried to increase the difficulty. When Han did all double jumps normatively, and when he is able to do a triple, he'll be quickly having it well in hand." At present, he can do quad jumps and 3A/3Lz. Han is a good example of changing training concept of the skating basics in China.

There is special tacit understanding between Han and his Coach JIA. In 2008-2009, the first international competition for both Han and Coach JIA is JGP Turkey. For sports like figure skating, The judges' thought would be important. International competitions are totally unknown. "Because we have never been abroad competing, we don't know what would the judge estimate of him, what position he is in." in short program, Han took the third place with a few mistakes, but the acknowledgement had given him confidence. He did pretty well in free program, though he only did simple triple jumps he still earned his first international competition gold, which makes both the coach and boy believe they are doing right.

What surprised the world is the JWC 2012 champion, this is the first time a Chinese male skater ever made to step up to the world level podium. Han is a name to be remembered. Though he did not have the most difficult program, the distinctive skating skills and jumps earned him "the hope of China's future" by many foreign media. The programs that Han performed in this competition were all choreographed by domestic choreographer. He asked the skating fans in his Weibo for advice of music selection (containing cello, piano and violin) for next season; the skating fans were only able to give a bitter smile. Fortunately he may have chance to go abroad for choreograph. Han's most wanted choreographer is his idol Patrick Chan's choreographer, the famous Lori. "I do not like to be gaudy, I prefer something generous." Unlike delicate style of North America and Japan, Yan Han-style is all about atmosphere and sunshine, giving a comfortable feeling, so the music chosen ensemble of retro violin is the standard of his selections.

Sometimes a small medal does not bring a lot of honor, but for Yan Han, it is an encouragement. After the 4CC competition, he understood what he should do. When he was a boy he was well known of his spin, which is a shortage for him at the moment. He does not practice spinning much and the new rule increased the difficulty "He can do it once he noticed this is a problem. His waist and shoulder injury makes him uncomfortable when doing spins, so the speed is more important than the number of turns." Coach JIA put more attention on the quality than quantity; she made Han know what he should focus on. Han also has a plan to go to dancing class to improve his artistic expression. No matter what difficulty will not stop Han, he is ready for everything.

Han is a typical Pisces teenager, bright, honest and polite, distinctive individuality but not bigoted. Once he is standing on the ice, he's like the king. He drew a circle using blade in the rink and asked the writer, “What do you want? The Olympic Five Ring or Audi? I can satisfy you now!" His Coach JIA is watching all this with smile like watching her son. She said the most lucky thing in her life was Han YAN. Han said nothing but had a shy smile, but he quickly changed his Weibo avatar to a photo with his coach. They can understand each other without words.

vCash
    Thank you whispering for taking the trouble to translate the interview with Han Yan. I wish Han Yan all the best. I also hope China will not put too much pressure on this kid because sometimes being among the best can put undue pressure on the youngsters. Let him take a step at a time to develop his talent. He will shine very brightly in due course.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Some fans are trying to translate the magazine interview of Han into English.Here is the Q&A part by courtesy of iocy3347
    ...Here is the main article translated by Gliding on ice and iocy3347

Yan Is Ready
    Thanks so much! Can you let us know the name of the Chinese magazine, date of publication, and the author of the article?
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Thanks so much! Can you let us know the name of the Chinese magazine, date of publication, and the author of the article?
    It's from "All Sports" April edition(No.168),written by Vivian Wei.

Since they are not going to publish the online version,I took some not so clear photos of it.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...ps511cb06a.jpg

http://s28.photobucket.com/user/luoq...14705.jpg.html

http://s28.photobucket.com/user/luoq...3ee1f.jpg.html

vCash
    Thank you, whispering, for the photos of the article and photos in the magazine! I will post links to the Q&A and article translations in the Chinese news thread in GSD.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    I think Lori can do wonders with him just like she did wonders with Patrick.
    I agree with you.

Banned Member
    vCash
    In the program thread on GS, I saw someone posted his new programs, he does remind me of Chan a bit. Wonder how far he can go.

sp: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbeUDbJTph8
    lp: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6eRChNVBKo

vCash
    In the program thread on GS, I saw someone posted his new programs, he does remind me of Chan a bit. Wonder how far he can go.
    Han Yan is champion material IMO. I already explained in another post why I think he is and I don't want to repeat myself. lol What Han is still lacking is the polish and a mature presentation, like most men skaters his age. He is a little loose for now.

I like his new short program very much though.

vCash
    his sp has tons of potential..very exciting skater!

don't understand is lp very well...it's like the Adams Family version of the Blue Danube waltz. Is there a story behind it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    Han Yan is champion material IMO. I already explained in another post why I think he is and I don't want to repeat myself. lol What Han is still lacking is the polish and a mature presentation, like most men skaters his age. He is a little loose for now.

I like his new short program very much though.
    I believe in Yan too. He has the jumps, speed and skating skills. He just needs a good choreographer to bring out and challenge the best in him. He is still young so he has time to reach his ultimate potential. His two new programs by Lori (I think?) are challenging his abilities. Can't wait to see him fully mature in a few years' time. He may be one of the favourites going into 2018 Olympics if he continues to grow. Go Han Yan!
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
    his sp has tons of potential..very exciting skater!

don't understand is lp very well...it's like the Adams Family version of the Blue Danube waltz. Is there a story behind it?
    Yes,the music is from movie "Hannibal".It is a variation form of the Blue Danube waltz, share the same melody with the classic version of the Blue Danube waltz in the first few bars, but changes a lot in the remainder. Lori mixed this piece of music with the classic version of the Blue Danube waltz. I think she present the brutality of Hannibal with this music while present the elegance of Hannibal with the classic version of the Blue Danube waltz. Hannibal’s personality is unstable, so the music varies from the brutal one to the elegance one from time to time. Yan himself consider the program as a kind of Schizophrenia .
    Last edited by whispering; 09-12-2013 at 05:31 AM.

vCash
    Bumping this thread back up today after his impressive SP at Cup of China!

Without commentary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g-69UuqyII

ETA: His 90.14 is 5+ points higher than his previous ISU personal best score of 85.08 in his senior international debut at 2013 4CC.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-01-2013 at 04:34 PM.

vCash
    Yes,the music is from movie "Hannibal".It is a variation form of the Blue Danube waltz, share the same melody with the classic version of the Blue Danube waltz in the first few bars, but changes a lot in the remainder. Lori mixed this piece of music with the classic version of the Blue Danube waltz. I think she present the brutality of Hannibal with this music while present the elegance of Hannibal with the classic version of the Blue Danube waltz. Hannibal’s personality is unstable, so the music varies from the brutal one to the elegance one from time to time. Yan himself consider the program as a kind of Schizophrenia .
    thanx for the explanation! cant wait to see it tomorrow

vCash
    I am so thrilled for Han Yan! Wonderful jumps and spins and committed to presenting the program! Please hang on - this could be your ticket to Sochi.

vCash
    Loved his SP at CoC, honestly if the Chinese Fed does not send him to Sochi, they are stupid.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast