February 2014 SKATING magazine--digital link now available-- Olympics cover

http://skatingmagazineblog.com/2014/...ruary-issue-3/

Little on Max:

CV2 - Ad
    Pg 13 - World Team photo
    Pg 23 - Ad
    Pg 41 - Ad
    Pg 51 - Ad
    Last edited by dardar1126; 02-07-2014 at 05:49 AM.

vCash
    http://www.azcentral.com/sports/olym...nclick_check=1

U.S. among favorites to win team figure-skating
    By Jeff Metcalfe
    azcentral sports
    Tue Feb 4, 2014 11:39 PM

Excerpts:

As the world turns its sporting focus to Russia for the 22nd Winter Games, an Arizona athlete will watch with mixed emotions.

Max Aaron longed to qualify for the Sochi Olympics, not just for the obvious reason that it’s the pinnacle of his sport but also because figure skating is including a team competition for the first time.

Aaron helped the United States to win a team gold and $200,000 prize money last year at the World Team Trophy in Tokyo.

“I enjoyed it so much and I was really looking forward to participating,” said Aaron of Scottsdale, who just missed out on Sochi after finishing third at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships. “It’s going to be just like a lot of the other Olympic sports that are team-based. We’re going to be able to grow as a team and get the support from the United States.”
    The Olympics is using a different format than in Japan, where all skaters did both programs. Aaron was fourth among the men and Jeremy Abbott sixth. Abbott and Jason Brown qualified for Sochi.

“It works out to the athlete’s benefit because you get to go in early and be on the ice a lot longer and more frequently because individual practice ice starts later and you’re not in the main arena,” Aaron said. “You get to test out your program and see what it feels like to be on competition ice before you do your individual. It’s a huge benefit.”
    Aaron believes Wagner, U.S. champion in 2012 and ’13, “is going to peak at the right moment.” “Polina has quite the jumps for being very young. Gold is proving to be quite the lady in our sport with her athleticism and on the component side.”
    Russia’s Evgeni Plushenko will try for a second gold and third medal in his home country, hosting its first Winter Olympics, but at 31 with knee and back injuries, he could be more of a long shot than Abbott.

“He’s the most complete skater in the U.S.,” Aaron said. “He can take the gold, he’s such a strong athlete all-around. Everything he does is effortless.”
    Aaron, 2013 U.S. champion who turns 22 on Feb. 25, will join Abbott on the American team at the World Championships, March 24-30, in Saitama, Japan.

The Olympics “will be difficult to watch,” said Aaron, who trains in Colorado Springs. “It’s all about how I’m going to react to it. Will this break me down or build me up? I’m going to make it a learning experience, watch and take it into the arena to get better so I’m not in the position of watching the Olympic Games.”

vCash
    Figure Skater Jason Brown Takes (Jewish) Aim at Winter Olympics Gold
    Bar Mitzvah Project Trumped Ice for Suburban Chicago Kid

By Dvora Meyers
    Published February 07, 2014, issue of February 14, 2014.

Excerpt:

At the national championships, Brown faced off against skaters who had mastered the quad, including Max Aaron, the defending national champion, who is also Jewish. After a shaky short program, Aaron finished the long in third place, behind Brown. The United States had only two male figure skating tickets for Sochi, and Aaron didn’t make the cut.

In many ways, Aaron and Brown, despite their shared Jewish heritage, are on the opposite ends of the figure skating spectrum. Aaron started out as a hockey player and then added figure skating to his repertoire, finally choosing between the two after a back injury. (It’s not exactly the plot to the ’90s movie “The Cutting Edge,” but it’s close.) His hockey background informs his figure skating strengths: jumping ability and sheer athleticism. He performs two quad jumps in his long program, but hasn’t mastered the subtleties of edges and expression.
    Read more: http://forward.com/articles/192274/f...#ixzz2sfFQYNOt
    Last edited by dardar1126; 02-07-2014 at 09:35 PM.

vCash
    http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/soc...sponsor-n23921

How Do You Get to Sochi? Land a Big-Deal Sponsor
    BY ADAM MOLON

Excerpts:

CNBC spoke to three American Olympic athletes – superstar Alpine ski racer Ted Ligety, top-ranked biathlete Tim Burke and figure skating prospect Max Aaron – about their disparate paths to sponsorships and Sochi.
    The figure skater: I'll take the boots

U.S. figure skating prospect Max Aaron, 21, is also no stranger to the balance between earning and training.

Within the past two years, he worked a six-week stint at a restaurant to pay his bills, while also training and attending college.

"I was a host, and a busboy, and a barback," Aaron said. "That was really hard."

That was just months before he won the 2013 U.S. national figure skating championships to become a leading contender for a place on the U.S. Olympic team.

Aaron now has two notable sponsorships, from the insurer Liberty Mutual and from Edea, an Italian maker of skate boots.

Though he would not discuss the specific financial consideration they provide, a spokesman for Liberty Mutual said that its total payment to him was under six figures
    Last edited by dardar1126; 02-07-2014 at 09:38 PM.

vCash
    Imagine going to a restaurant and being greeted by this young, handsome, fresh-fashed man...and then turning on your TV a few weeks later and seeing that same guy winning the National title!

vCash
    Twitter:

Max Aaron ‏@MaxTAaron 5m
    Cheering on my Country and Teammates! Love seeing these athletes live out their dreams on the Worlds biggest stage! #GoTeamUSA #Proud
    You're a class-act, a good friend and a true team player! Best of luck at Worlds!!
    Last edited by dardar1126; 02-08-2014 at 03:56 AM.

vCash
    http://www.teamusa.org/Road-to-Sochi...er-About-Sochi

Feb 08
    Dick Button Is All A Twitter About Sochi

BY AMY ROSEWATER | FEB. 08, 2014, 10:30 A.M. (ET)

Max reference:

TeamUSA.org: What are your thoughts on the U.S. Olympic Team that will go to Sochi?

Button: I really admire all the ladies and that includes Mirai Nagasu who was not selected for the team (Nagasu, a 2010 Olympian, took the bronze medal at nationals but was not picked to go to Sochi; Polina Edmunds, Gracie Gold and Ashley Wagner are representing Team USA in Sochi). I am not sorry it worked out the way it did; I am sorry there was not space for all four. The same for the men. Jeremy Abbott, Jason Brown and Max Aaron were all first rate. And (ice dancers) Meryl Davis and Charlie White, I think they are just marvelous. I am mesmerized by them. I’m a great fan of the entire U.S. team.

vCash
    Right on, "Uncle" Dickie!

vCash
    Twitter:

Max Aaron ‏@MaxTAaron 1m
    Congrats to Team USA and @USFigureSkating on a well deserved Olympic Medal! You guys made us all Proud! #GoTeamUSA

vCash
    Great quotes from Max & Dick Button

vCash
    Very gracious of Max, when he must have wondering what he would have done in that short.

vCash
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympic...1513--spt.html

Olympics-Figure skating-It's looking rather dire for the U.S. - Weir
    Reuters
    10 hours ago

By Pritha Sarkar

"I have a very positive feeling about some of the youth in my country," said the flamboyant Weir, who had hoped to compete in Russia before injury ended his career last year.

"Adam Rippon showed great stability in the grand prix series. He was attempting a quad Lutz which is the hardest jump anyone would have ever landed and he really has grown this year.

"Then we have young skaters like Max Aaron who's the (2013) national champion and Jason Brown who are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

"Jason is full of pizzazz and artistry and his jumps aren't his strongest assets whereas Max Aaron can land three quadruple jumps in his free programme which is rivalling (twice European champion) Javier Fernandez.

"That's just a whole another level of crazy jumping ability.

"America really has it all but we are missing a star, we're missing a person who is so well rounded - the artist, the athlete and somebody with a personality off the ice."

vCash
    Weir really should just shut up. He's sounding worse and worse and more and more bitter.

Jason, Max and Joshua all have personality, they all have their own unique brand of artistry, they're all exceptional athletes with great jumps. Not only does Weir sound bitter, he is horrendously misinformed.

vCash
    Looking forward to seeing Max at Worlds! (better with team Max / Jason)

vCash
    I think right now Josh is the most well rounded skater of the young guys coming up. He's artistic and has big jumps. He just needs to finally master the quad and he will be a world champion one day.

vCash
    Josh has never wowed me. I'm looking forward to the day he does since so many people rave about him.

vCash
    I'm a big fan of Josh and think he has so much potential but if you haven't been wowed by him, you'll probably not be. He seems painfully shy so that makes the performance aspect difficult. If he can learn how to come out of himself more and get that quad steady, he really should be right there at the top.

Okay, enough of the thread hijack. Love that tweet from Max. Not getting to go to the Olympics must have been heart-breaking for him but he still managed to congratulate the US team. I hope he can rock the house at Worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OnyxRose81 View Post
    Okay, enough of the thread hijack. Love that tweet from Max. Not getting to go to the Olympics must have been heart-breaking for him but he still managed to congratulate the US team. I hope he can rock the house at Worlds.
    I agree. Max has always been extremely gracious and polite. I would love to see him continue his progress, and rock two clean skates at Worlds!

vCash
    Facebook:

Max Aaron
    Check out this @BuzzFeed article featuring yours truly! http://bzfd.it/1l4Kv4j ‪#‎sp‬

Page 36 of 42 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast