Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Just as long as he doesn't break himself trying to do it....
    So worried for all the men trying to outdo each other multi-quadding.

Stay healthy, Max!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    So worried for all the men trying to outdo each other multi-quadding.
    Stay healthy, Max!
    Agree. Any serious injuries will see the end to the jumps and probably career. Not worth breaking one's back for a medal, IMO (unless of course one is bionic like Plushenko).
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    USFS' tweets re. Max's pre-Worlds media teleconference today:
    Thanks for always finding and posting the latest info., Sylvia, it's much much appreciated!

Dream BIG, that's the way to go, even Walt Disney says a dream is a wish your heart makes....

And may all Max's dreams come true.

ps: HAPPY BELATED 21ST BIRTHDAY!

vCash
    USFS' tweets re. Max's pre-Worlds media teleconference today:
    Encouraging to me that he has been with Pasquale Camerlengo for choreography. I think he needs that more than anything else.

He is 'working towards 3 quads in the free' - Is that in preparation for Worlds or is that just generally?? I get that 'shoot for the stars' comment is likely just related to the future

vCash
    We just got our latest copy of our weekly Jewish newspaper, The Jewish Exponent (Phila., PA). The JTA article got printed in the paper!

vCash
    Audio of Max Aaron's first media teleconference on 2/26/13 (26 mins.): http://web.icenetwork.com/media/play...2010.swf&_mp=1
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Here's a summary of some highlights from the call - I thought Max was informative and well-spoken.

After 4 Continents, he said he worked on enhancing the choreography of both his programs with Pasquale Camerlengo in Colorado Springs with a goal of turning up the performance (level) and attaining level 4 in his step sequences. His program will have the same jump layout for Worlds.

He mentioned that he started hearing hurtful comments about his style of skating at the Novice level -- that he would never make it big in the sport because he was categorized as too much of an "European style" skater like Brian Joubert, and that a lot of U.S. fans and judges were more used to a Jeremy Abbott/Matt Savoie style of skater, which he knew he could not be. He thought about quitting skating last year but decided he wanted to give it his all and didn't want to leave anything unturned as well as let anyone tell him what he can and can't do in skating.

He works with a sports psychologist and believes "pressure is for those who are unprepared" and that he is very well-trained not be affected by a mistake, like a fall. He cited 4 Continents as being very good preparation for Worlds since the pressure was more intense there than he had ever experienced before, including skating in front of a packed house in Japan.

He was asked about quads and the risk of injury and he replied that the key for him is off-ice training and recovery. He has a varied off-ice regimen to build explosiveness in his legs, stamina, and to train his back and spine to take the impact of landing quads: lifting weights, treadmill, exercises in the pool, running, etc.

He mentioned that he is working towards having two 4S and a 4T in his FS, maybe even 4 quads eventually. He says he also has practiced quad loop and Lutz, but not Axel yet, though he'd like to try it in the off-season just to see if he could get around.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Here's a summary of some highlights from the call - I thought Max was informative and well-spoken.

After 4 Continents, he said he worked on enhancing the choreography of both his programs with Pasquale Camerlengo in Colorado Springs with a goal of turning up the performance (level) and attaining level 4 in his step sequences. His program will have the same jump layout for Worlds.

He mentioned that he started hearing hurtful comments about his style of skating at the Novice level -- that he would never make it big in the sport because he was categorized as too much of an "European style" skater like Brian Joubert, and that a lot of U.S. fans and judges were more used to a Jeremy Abbott/Matt Savoie style of skater, which he knew he could not be. He thought about quitting skating last year but decided he wanted to give it his all and didn't want to leave anything unturned as well as let anyone tell him what he can and can't do in skating.

He works with a sports psychologist and believes "pressure is for those who are unprepared" and that he is very well-trained not be affected by a mistake, like a fall. He cited 4 Continents as being very good preparation for Worlds since the pressure was more intense there than he had ever experienced before, including skating in front of a packed house in Japan.

He was asked about quads and the risk of injury and he replied that the key for him is off-ice training and recovery. He has a varied off-ice regimen to build explosiveness in his legs, stamina, and to train his back and spine to take the impact of landing quads: lifting weights, treadmill, exercises in the pool, running, etc.

He mentioned that he is working towards having two 4S and a 4T in his FS, maybe even 4 quads eventually. He says he also has practiced quad loop and Lutz, but not Axel yet, though he'd like to try it in the off-season just to see if he could get around.
    As always, Thanks Sylvia.

So, his jump layout at Worlds will be two 4sals (4s-3t and 4s) and the 3 jump combo will be 2x-1Loop -3sal. Was kinda hoping he'd slip a 4t in there somewhere by Worlds and really rock the house!

I'm glad he's working on the choreography w/ Pasquale even more and trying to obtain Lv4 on the FW, and that he is handling the pressure well. Max has a body type that doesn't lend itself to easy balletic extensions. He has short, powerful legs.

Hopefully, he will do well at Worlds.

vCash
    Max AAron is US men's next big thing well until Joshua, Jason, Vincent and Nathan get enough experience
    the way the US media is playing so much about Max and Gracie as the new stars are a bit premature atm though

Title-less
    vCash
    I like Jeremy's style but when I watched Max live and he was on, I enjoyed him--every single time.

vCash
    Poor Max. Fancy hearing that when you were only a Novice...

I'd rather watch Max over Jeremy any day! I like his mindset...it seems very strong!

So he's nuts then

Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    Max AAron is US men's next big thing well until Joshua, Jason, Vincent and Nathan get enough experience
    the way the US media is playing so much about Max and Gracie as the new stars are a bit premature atm though
    You may as well get used to it, now that it's come out that they're dating the NBC are gonna go nuts.

Not sure about Gracie, but Max seems so rock-solid that maybe, just maybe, the US has a man or two that they can rely on at last.

Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    I like Jeremy's style but when I watched Max live and he was on, I enjoyed him--every single time.
    Bingo. Watching the long programs of the top four, I keep thinking that I always enjoy Max, Ross and Joshua, but not Jeremy, and I think I know why - Max looked like he was having a ball, Ross was grinning like a maniac, even Joshua smiled during his skate (which is unusual for him)...but Jeremy looked like he was being killed by slow torture.

vCash
    He mentioned that he started hearing hurtful comments about his style of skating at the Novice level -- that he would never make it big in the sport because he was categorized as too much of an "European style" skater like Brian Joubert, and that a lot of U.S. fans and judges were more used to a Jeremy Abbott/Matt Savoie style of skater, which he knew he could not be.
    I like Max Aaron, I really do, but the U.S. judges have treated him much more kindly than they ever treated Matt Savoie.

vCash
    If he can get a freaking quad axel around, I hope USfsa will send him to a senior b just so he can go land one in competition (I can't really imagine someone taking a risk like that at a major comp, not when he can get big points on other solid quads)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    Probably more a push for them to be treated with respect by international judges at Worlds. Here's hoping the entire U.S. team brings it at Worlds in London, Ontario!

vCash
    What's wrong with an European style? Max shouldn't feel hurt because he should develop his own style. If he starts off as being more power and athletic, then make full use of his strengths and continue to improve on other areas where he may be seen to be weaker in. He must be doing the right thing to get where he is now. Go Max
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    ^^ ITA! It's a mixed bag of apples and oranges anyway. Back in the day, Dick Button was seen as the powerful, athletic North American skater going up against the more artistic European-style skaters. Jackson Haines left America and gained fame in Austria as a skater who introduced lyrical arm movements and music to figure skating. In his book, Johnny Weir said that early in his career, he was accused by some USFS officials of looking "too Russian" with his costumes. Toller Cranston was an artistic innovator from Canada. Elvis Stojko was a Canadian skater who raised the bar technically and athletically.

There are all kinds of skaters regardless of country of origin who have different qualities to bring and none should be labeled, categorized and/ or marginalized. I think Max should just continue improving his weaknesses, developing his strengths and doing his own thing on the ice.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I'd much rather see a skater do his own style well than try to imitate someone else. I always loved Matt Savoie, but I enjoyed Max's performance in Omaha as well.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Sylvia, did I tell you recently how much I love you? Thank you so much for the summary of the conference.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    You're welcome. I recommend listening to Max's teleconference call - there's more than what I summarized and it's one of the most interesting ones I've ever heard a skater give.

"Five favorite things with Max Aaron": http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

vCash
    New article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Excerpt:
    So, after Osaka, Aaron worked with his choreographer, Pasquale Camerlengo, in Colorado Springs to attack those relative scoring weaknesses.

"We worked on tuning up the programs; we didn't have much time to do that during the season," Camerlengo said. "We added polish and expression, more amplitude of movement, to make everything more visible to the audience."

The only elements that were changed were the step sequences, in hopes of gaining Level 4s.

"We switched the steps around, added some turns," Camerlengo said. "It is not in the middle of the season; there is no time to learn anything new. You can improve on the general concept, improve the quality of the performance."
    Also mentioned in the article is that Aaron won the Professional Skaters Association's EDI Award for Best Men's Performance at 2013 Nationals.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-06-2013 at 10:43 PM.

Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast