Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast

vCash

Take it to the Max (All About Aaron)

JTA ("the Jewish Telegraphic Agency, is the definitive source for American Jewish community news and opinion") article titled "Inspired by past Jewish stars, champion skater Max Aaron eyes Sochi Olympics": http://www.jta.org/news/article/2013...sochi-olympics

Re-posting the link to this Arizona article after Aaron won Nationals (AZ is his home state): http://www.azcentral.com/sports/azet...-champion.html
    Last edited by Sylvia; 02-19-2013 at 07:39 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Thanks for the link, Sylvia. I was hoping our local Jewish newspaper (The Jewish Exponent Phila., PA) would pick up this story! Now, maybe they will?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    Thanks for the link, Sylvia. I was hoping our local Jewish newspaper (The Jewish Exponent Phila., PA) would pick up this story! Now, maybe they will?
    Have you thought about contacting the editor with a lead?

vCash
    A small mistake in the article: "Finishing 13th (@Worlds) or better puts him on the U.S. Olympic team for the 2014 Games in Sochi, Russia."

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luenatic View Post
    A small mistake in the article: "Finishing 13th (@Worlds) or better puts him on the U.S. Olympic team for the 2014 Games in Sochi, Russia."
    I just saw this. (Professionally I get the JTA bulletin every day). And I emailed a friend at JTA the exact facts on this which hopefully will correct the story.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    That comment really threw me for a loop. Glad to know it is a mistake. I am such a fan of his...great talent, great enthusiasm & personality. Go Max!!

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Emailed reporter, the error is now fixed: http://www.jta.org/news/article/2013...sochi-olympics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    Emailed reporter, the error is now fixed: http://www.jta.org/news/article/2013...sochi-olympics.
    It's still incorrect. The article states that both skaters (he and Ross) have to place 13th or better to get the US 3 spots. Their COMBINED placements have to equal 13 or less to get 3 spots.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carriecmu0503 View Post
    It's still incorrect. The article states that both skaters (he and Ross) have to place 13th or better to get the US 3 spots. Their COMBINED placements have to equal 13 or less to get 3 spots.
    God, you're right. I think I'm going to have to let it go, if she didn't understand my very clear email she will only get pissed at having to change it again. Sigh.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    God, you're right. I think I'm going to have to let it go, if she didn't understand my very clear email she will only get pissed at having to change it again. Sigh.
    What? A reporter getting pissed off for correcting a factual error? I hope this reporter has higher professional integrity than that.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    I'm always happy to see skating articles - especially ones that go to some length - but I hope she didn't get paid too much for writing that. I'm consistently amazed at what passes for professional writing these days. My high schooler could probably have written it with more coherance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Have you thought about contacting the editor with a lead?
    I have contacted the editor about this, including before this article appeared, through private e-mail, Facebook, & Twitter (also yesterday). There is a local angle to this too. Max's family lived for a time in Dresher, PA (a suburb of Philly). I found out this info @ last July's Liberty Summer Competition in Aston, PA when I got to talk to Max & his parents.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    I have contacted the editor about this, including before this article appeared, through private e-mail, Facebook, & Twitter (also yesterday). There is a local angle to this too. Max's family lived for a time in Dresher, PA (a suburb of Philly). I found out this info @ last July's Liberty Summer Competition in Aston, PA when I got to talk to Max & his parents.
    IIRC, Aaron's parents lived in the area when Dr. Aaron was doing his residency.

vCash

vCash
    Happy 21st birthday to Max Aaron!

Was the JTA article corrected further? It now reads:
    Next month, Aaron will represent the United States at the World Figure Skating Championships in Canada. If he and nationals' runner-up Ross Miner combine to finish at least among the top 13, the U.S. will be able to send three skaters to the 2014 Games in Sochi, Russia.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Is he capable of a 4toe? I wonder if he'd be ambitious enough to add one to the SP, as the solo jump, and then to the LP (perhaps replace one of the 3x's)

vCash
    Max has said he plans to incorporate the 4T into his programs next season. At the June 2012 Broadmoor Open Jumps comp., I saw him land a 4S+2T+2Lo & a 4T on the webcast.

vCash
    USFS' tweets re. Max's pre-Worlds media teleconference today:
    says he has worked with Pasquale Camerlengo since the U.S. Champs on choreo.

excited about the challenge of back-loading his programs with jumps. It has paid off.

called Four Continents an 'Eye-opener' and says he 'knows he can handle the pressure'

said he's working towards three quads in free, but noted, he could "shoot for the stars" and try for four eventually.

vCash
    said he's working towards three quads in free, but noted, he could "shoot for the stars" and try for four eventually.
    Huh? This is insane.

Go Max.

vCash
    Just as long as he doesn't break himself trying to do it....

Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast