View Poll Results: How long will Tara and Jonny last?

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll
  • They won't make it until next season

19 14.84%
  • Give them a year or two only

40 31.25%
  • They will reemerge for big events/the 2018 Olympics

35 27.34%
  • They will go "Hollywood" and forget skating

8 6.25%
  • They are here to stay- both in skating and in life

26 20.31%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

How long will Tara and Johnny last?

Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir gained a great deal of popularity after their commentary at the 2014 games, and have landed non-skating gigs such as providing commentary on the Oscars and the Kentucky Derby.

That said, both are self-described "divas," and from her twitter and instagram accounts, Tara seems to change friends often (Nastia Lukin, Sasha Cohen, even Dave Lease- who once posted a long interview with Tara).

Are Tara and Johnny here to stay, or will this duo flame out?
    Last edited by HSGP21; 04-25-2014 at 02:48 AM.

vCash
    I didn't see Tara and Weir's commentary during Sochi. From what I've seen of them during interviews and commentating during the GP, I didn't find anything particularly appealing about the two of them. I'm pretty sure they'll flame out. It's just a matter of when.

vCash
    A lot of it is hype
    Even before all this I remember Johnny fans were acting like his NBC contract must be big money and then when the divorce happened it was revealed that it was paltry

With that said, I wish them both luck and success because it's good for skating's visibility as a sport that we have anything close to celebrities

I don't see them becoming the next Ellen/Oprah/Ryan Seacrest (lol) but the fact that it has led to other gigs is a good sign

vCash
    I think they could successfully maintain commentary gigs within the sport, but I don't see them achieving long-term mainstream success (except perhaps a small boost during the Olympics).

vCash
    I wrote on this very board before the divorce filings that Johnny's NBC contract was not as big as people thought.

He has very expensive tastes and doing fashion commentary isn't going to pay the bills. It's a very established field with establishes players.

Still, I enjoyed him and Tara during Sochi and I'm glad they're milking it for as much as they can. Will they parlay into a lucrative long term deal? I'm skeptical.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    I don't know how long it will last ... but between the two of them, if it ends, they will make sure it ends big and badly

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I didn't see Tara and Weir's commentary during Sochi. From what I've seen of them during interviews and commentating during the GP, I didn't find anything particularly appealing about the two of them. I'm pretty sure they'll flame out. It's just a matter of when.
    This is pretty much the most amusing thing they've done together:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtPnvRJ6YKY

vCash
    Commentators that are a lot worse have lasted many years. I see no reason why Johnny & Tara cannot last a long time, unless personal issues take them out of the field. I would rather listen to them than Sandra & Scott.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Fever View Post
    This is pretty much the most amusing thing they've done together:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtPnvRJ6YKY
    That was funny! I at the guy who basically knocked the kid over!

I think Johnny and Tara are doing pretty well considering the Olympics have been over for months and yet they're still finding ways to remain visible otherwise. Aside from D/W on Dancing with the Stars, no other US figure skaters are getting any kind of publicity. I think separating themselves from figure skating and simply going for fashion is helping them.

No idea how long it will last but I'm enjoying them for now.

vCash
    I'm pretty sure Tara and Johnny are not the only sports commentators (even American ones) to ever have changed besties or filed for divorce.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    I don't know how long it will last ... but between the two of them, if it ends, they will make sure it ends big and badly

vCash
    As long as Giuliana Rancic has a job doing stuff n' things, there's no reason why Tara and Johnny can't continue getting bits. I don't even know who that Rancic woman is, but surely her job could be better done by J&T.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by all_empty View Post
    I wrote on this very board before the divorce filings that Johnny's NBC contract was not as big as people thought.

He has very expensive tastes and doing fashion commentary isn't going to pay the bills. It's a very established field with establishes players.

... Will they parlay into a lucrative long term deal? I'm skeptical.
    I sort of agree. I can't see them turning into a Bob Costas or Jim Nantz, but if they play their cards right I can see them turning this into a real long term career. If the Kentucky Derby gig goes well, they'll be able to continue to build momentum off their growing popularity, which could lead to more requests to appear, which will inevitably lead to higher appearance fees and other opportunities (eta. Entertainment or Fashion TV show, Radio Show etc.,). There's definitely potential here. I'm excited to see where their partnership will go.

vCash
    Tara and Johnny commentating at the Kentucky Derby sounds awful. I'm going to assume they'll be doing light bits like a round up of ladies' hats, and, you know, not calling the race.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leesaleesa View Post
    As long as Giuliana Rancic has a job doing stuff n' things, there's no reason why Tara and Johnny can't continue getting bits. I don't even know who that Rancic woman is, but surely her job could be better done by J&T.
    Ita. Both T and J are pretty smart, so I think that can carry them for quite awhile.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    If you don't even know who she is or what she does, how can you make such a statement? Clink on the link and I think you'll see that she has considerably more qualifications to be in front of the camera than Johnny or Tara. And I'm not even a fan of Rancic's - not in the least.

vCash
    Perhaps a matter of taste, but I don't find Tara and Johnny's commentary appealing at all either. For the technical faults they have, I find Sandra and Scott more watchable. Most of the other American skating commentaries I've seen I much prefer as well.

vCash
    If you don't even know who she is or what she does, how can you make such a statement?
    I was flicking through the channels, and she was doing a very vapid and monotone interview on one of those news magazine shows. The person I was watching TV with mentioned she was some reality TV personality when I asked. Since I wasn't entertained enough to find out who she is or why she got the gig, I remained in the dark about who she is or what she does (or did) to get the gig. At least Lara Spencer has personality and did antiques Roadshow.

She's boring and has zero charisma, regardless of her credentials. Johnny drips charisma, and Tara's a good foil.

vCash
    They will last for a long as they're alive. Even if the gigs start going away they'll find a way back. With bigger flowers Tara's head and bigger heels on Johnny's feet

vCash
    I was flicking through the channels, and she was doing a very vapid and monotone interview on one of those news magazine shows. The person I was watching TV with mentioned she was some reality TV personality when I asked. Since I wasn't entertained enough to find out who she is or why she got the gig, I remained in the dark about who she is or what she does (or did) to get the gig. At least Lara Spencer has personality and did antiques Roadshow.

She's boring and has zero charisma, regardless of her credentials. Johnny drips charisma, and Tara's a good foil.
    Well, that is a matter of opinion I guess. We can agree to disagree on her level of charisma.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast