Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    I think she was referring to Robin Cousins.
    Yes Robin Cousins. I have never met him personally but I would believe he's 6 feet, he always looked very tall on the ice. Joubert is still one of the taller guys competing today and he really is just average, he is listed as 5'10.5" but most people who have met claim he isn't even as tall as that, more likely 5'9". I wouldn't be surprised if the skaters or their Feds inflated their heights a little though because most of the guys are really small! On wikipedia it says Josh Farris is 5'10.5", but in pictures from the awards banquet, he's like the same height as Max, who is very small, probably 5'6" or 5'7", so yeah no way close to that height in reality. But these days, it seems like most of the guys are small like I said. Javi towered over Chan and Ten on the Worlds podium and he's like what, 5'8" maybe? Men's skating is becoming more and more like gymnastics I feel, which is interesting because over the summer I was noticing how small (compared to normal) and muscular/athletic the male gymnasts were! And they were so much more exciting to watch because they were like dynamos, so compact and explosive!

vCash
    I just love the speed, power and dynamic quality of Max's skating...he's exciting to watch!

Here's something I received on Twitter:

U.S. Figure Skating ‏@USFigureSkating

Click here to read all the recaps from the 2013 U.S. Championships in the March SKATING magazine! http://skatingmagazineblog.com/2013/...march-issue-2/

There's a nice article about Max, as well as lots of other skating coverage.
    Last edited by dardar1126; 04-07-2013 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Add information

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Men's skating is becoming more and more like gymnastics I feel, which is interesting because over the summer I was noticing how small (compared to normal) and muscular/athletic the male gymnasts were! And they were so much more exciting to watch because they were like dynamos, so compact and explosive!
    That's one of the prices you have to pay if you'll start to practice a lot as a kid. Most of the body energy goes to training and not to growing.

vCash
    Very cute article with Max. I didn't know that he and Ross were so close, but that sure explains the backstage dynamic between them.

vCash
    Nice article about Max. I hope he does not read comments ever again
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    Nice article about Max. I hope he does not read comments ever again
    Amen THAT!

But I think he was hurt more when members of the skating establishment told him the same thing when he was younger. I'm glad that he's gotten encouragement from Sandra Bezic, Scott Hamilton and others.

I love Max's new attitude that he's not going to let other people tell him what he can and cannot do!

EDIT: When I think of a theme song for Max I think of Defying Gravity from WICKED!

Something has changed within me
    Something is not the same
    I'm through with playing by the rules
    Of someone else's game
    Too late for second-guessing
    Too late to go back to sleep
    It's time to trust my instincts
    Close my eyes: and leap!
    It's time to try
    Defying gravity
    I think I'll try
    Defying gravity
    And you can't pull me down!

I'm through accepting limits
    'cause someone says they're so
    Some things I cannot change
    But till I try, I'll never know!
    Too long I've been afraid of
    Losing love I guess I've lost
    Well, if that's love
    It comes at much too high a cost!
    I'd sooner try
    Defying gravity

As someone told me lately:
    "Ev'ryone deserves the chance to fly!"
    And if I'm flying solo
    At least I'm flying free
    To those who'd ground me
    Take a message back from me
    Tell them how I am
    Defying gravity
    I'm flying high
    Defying gravity
    And soon I'll match them in renown

And nobody...
    Is ever gonna bring me down!
    Last edited by dardar1126; 04-08-2013 at 12:17 AM.

vCash
    ^ love this as a theme for Max!

vCash
    Getty Images Photo by Atsushi Tomura/Getty Images 4 hours ago
    Yahoo! Eurosport UK
    TOKYO, JAPAN - APRIL 11: Max Aaron of USA competes in the men's short program during day one of the ISU World Team Trophy at Yoyogi National Gymnasium on April 11, 2013 in Tokyo, Japan. (Photo by ... more. TOKYO, JAPAN - APRIL 11: Max Aaron ...
    http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/photos...-345--spt.html

vCash
    Twitter:

U.S. Figure Skating ‏@USFigureSkating 1h
    #tbt Here is @MaxTAaron as a hockey player!
    https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/...569921/photo/1

vCash
    OMG- is he playing in a game against that other guy? Because that guy is like 3x his size!

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    OMG- is he playing in a game against that other guy? Because that guy is like 3x his size!
    So we know he doesn't scare easily.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Smaller players can be very competitive (especially at that age) if they have a strong core and excellent (hockey) skating skills. I suspect that was the case with Aaron. My son was always one of the smaller players, but he could easily take out (check) someone twice his size.

vCash
    Then you'll appreciate this:

Max Aaron was the smallest guy on the Phoenix Firebirds, a select Bantam AAA travel hockey team in Arizona — so small, in fact, that teammates designed a goofy play for him.

The idea was to have Aaron, about 5 feet and 100 pounds at the time, put the puck between a defenseman's legs, follow it through with a squat or a "shoot-the-duck" move and then pick it up on the other side for a breakaway. If there were no opening down low, Aaron would try a figure skating jump as a spin-o-rama to shake the defenseman.

They fooled around with it in practice but never pulled it out in a game.

"I don't think either one ended up working," said University of Michigan junior forward Luke Moffatt, who was Aaron's linemate on the Firebirds, in a text message punctuated with a laugh.

It wasn't because Aaron, now 5-8, lacked the guts or jumping ability to try.

"He was never scared to dig his nose into the corner against guys twice his size and get the puck from them," Moffatt recalled during a phone conversation. "I have no doubt if he had pursued hockey the way he did figure skating, Max could be playing right along side me."

Aaron began hockey at 4 and figure skating at 9. He did both until a back injury led him to stop hockey at 16, when he was playing for a select Midget team.
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...1598806.column

vCash
    Hmmm. Max is five foot eight? Is that like Yagudin being five foot eight?

Max just seems like a really little guy.

Would have been HILARIOUS to see him pull out a jump in the middle of a game though!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post

Would have been HILARIOUS to see him pull out a jump in the middle of a game though!
    His official bio says 5'7". If you look at this pic of him between Charlie & Ross (both 5'9"), there's not a great height difference.

https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/...514112/photo/1

vCash
    Re: the WTT2013 short program:

Aaron came very close to breaking his season’s best score and totaled 77.38 points in the short program. He opened with a 13.09-point quad Salchow-double toe combination and continued to skate clean from there.

“I had a good time out there,” he said. “I want to finish the season strong. I actually wanted a season’s best, I didn’t reach that, but it makes me go back and look at what I need to focus on.”
    http://skatingmagazineblog.com/2013/...-trophy-day-1/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post

I think he actually could be about that height. He and Josh Farris look very much the same height here https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater, though Max's shoes may be a bit higher. Josh I believe is 5'8"? (Wikipedia says 5'10.5" but um maybe that's his height in skates? ) Max just has short legs and a long torso, and a very small frame, so he looks smaller. I always think Farris actually looks tall but it is clear from this picture he certainly is not (he just still has bambi legs).

Anyways small people can be really good at hockey. My friend in highschool currently plays division 1 hockey in college and she's about 5'1" and 110 pounds but all muscle. The other girls dwarf her for the most part but she's so fast, strong, and agile it doesn't matter. I would assume Max is the same way. He's definitely ripped!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Max just has short legs and a long torso, and a very small frame, so he looks smaller.

Anyways small people can be really good at hockey. My friend in highschool currently plays division 1 hockey in college and she's about 5'1" and 110 pounds but all muscle. The other girls dwarf her for the most part but she's so fast, strong, and agile it doesn't matter. I would assume Max is the same way. He's definitely ripped!
    True; Max does not have a "dancer's body" (i.e. short torso/long legs), so he appears shorter than he actually is...and he is ripped!

USFigureSkatingU.S. Figure Skating 12 Mar

I guess they don't make shirts with sleeves in Colorado @MaxTAaron @ChrisKnierim #FSWorlds13

https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/...417152/photo/1
    I'm very proud of the way Max fought through this whole WTT2013 competition. He seems a bit fatigued at the end of this season,but he put in a pretty solid SP, and a good FS (good come back after the fall on 2nd triple axel).

I can't wait to see what he does next season. He said he's working on the quad toe; wants to try to include it plus 2 quad sals and 2 triple axels in his FS.

vCash
    http://skatingmagazineblog.com/2013/...-trophy-day-2/

World Team Trophy: Day 2

Max Aaron executed a solid free skate that featured two quads, one in combination to lead Team USA in the men’s event with a total score of 236.62 points. He finished fourth in the event.

Of his U.S. championship season, Aaron said, “It was [a] learning experience, but yet again, it was tough because I was up there with the top guys. There was no learning curve. I had to jump in and represent my country. I took the challenge well.”

vCash
    From another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Aaron finished 4th overall (236.62; 238.36 is his SB at Worlds) and Abbott 6th (231.84, up from his previous SB of 227.63).

Quotes distributed to the media and tweeted by Lynn Rutherford:

Aaron: "The 2nd mark needs to improve. ... I’m working on new programs, and hopefully they will stand with the big guys. Maybe I will add another quad..."

Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast