Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    There's a slight chance. The Chinese pairs don't sound good, and who knows about Russia's #2 and #3 with injuries. It's doubtful that the U.S. will get 3 pairs, but there is a very teeny tiny chance.
    Agreed. A lot of it would depend on which Chinese pairs actually go to Worlds and how competition-ready they would be (not that the Chinese federation would ever 'encourage' them to show up if they're not fully recovered ahem ). In case both P/T and S/H are out, that would open up the field a bit. Factor in K/S and B/L dealing with injuries, as well and who knows what might happen? Obviously, those 3 spots would depend on much better pairs not showing up to Worlds, not so much anything skating-related. 2 spots is doable, regardless of who competes.
    I heard that Sui/Han will be ready to compete at Worlds via chatter at 4CC, and I'd think Pang/Tong are alright, too. But even so-- the US either needs a 5th and at least 8th or 6th and 7th to get three spots. With Savchenko/Szolkowy, Volosozhar/Trankov, Duhamel/Radford, Moore-Towers/Moscovitch, and then pick any two healthy/having a great day of Berton/Hotarek, Kavaguti/Smirnov, Bazarova/Larionov, Pang/Tong, Sui/Han, and even James/Cipres, I just don't see how anyone thinks 13 or less can truly happen. I think even one team in the top 8 or 9 would be a great accomplishment.

ETA- remember that both American teams have potential of starting #1 and #2 in the short program, as neither are in the top half of the rankings. As much as we'd like to think the start order has no correlation to placements/specifically PCS (or are we past that point?), they might find themselves at a big deficit following the first segment.

vCash
    ^13 or less was a slight possibility based on some serious attrition. Not exactly a likely scenario. I am sure if P/T go to Worlds, their PCS and throws will be enough to carry them through, no matter how duct-taped he is. Same thing holds true for K/S and B/L as long as they're healthy enough to compete.
    Not sure about S/H, but I guess they wouldn't get sent unless they are reasonably ready.

vCash
    Re-posting some of my thoughts from the U.S. pairs thread, along with additional observations:

Once the rumors that Lindsay and Mark were breaking up got out, there was simultaneous speculation that Lindsay and Rockne would tryout -- it seemed almost like a done deal. I guess all concerned waited a respectable time (first to announce the Davis/ Ladwig split), and then to announce the new pairing, after the tryout.

Good luck to Lindsay and Rockne! I'm happy for them that they both seem to feel they've found a partnership for the long haul -- keeping my fingers-crossed for them. Maybe they should write-up a kind of pre-nup contract, as orbitz suggests, or give their word to each other and shake hands on it, or have a blood ritual that will be binding and non-breakable.

In the IN article, I too noted that Rockne mentioned having trouble with finances. I wonder if he's been able to save up some money working while he's been off the ice this season? Hopefully, Rockne's fans will chip in and help out by making donations in his and Lindsay's name to that skaters' fund. Is it the New England Amateur Skating Foundation? I believe fans can send in donations for any skater, but they need to specify the name of the skater or skaters when they make their contribution.

It's too bad that it didn't work out for Lindsay and Mark, but Lindsay seemed to address that in the IN article with her comment that her pairing with Mark was "[at most] a two-season partnership, because of Mark's age." I wonder if Mark and Lindsay discussed that aspect in detail before joining up? E.g., that they were both agreeing to the fact that they were teaming only to see if they could make the Olympics? I also wonder what the "differences" were that they "couldn't work through after Nationals." In any case, Lindsay appears to have understandably desired a long term pairs career.

It's interesting that Rockne mentions he and Lindsay both previously trained under Todd Sand and have similar styles as a result. Lindsay is definitely the perfect height and maturity for Rockne. It was simply an unpredictable timing factor re Lindsay and Mark having teamed up prior to the break-up of Mary Beth and Rockne, so who knew Rockne would once again be available? And, I mean, how could any young experienced pairs lady of the right height resist the prospect of a longer term partner in Rockne Brubaker? OTOH, whoosh, re the timing and all, but I guess that's the way it goes these days in pairs figure skating. Rockne has had to face a lot of obstacles, including the heartache of two difficult pairs break-ups, so I'm happy for him that his personal and skating lives are looking up partnership-wise. He definitely deserves great things, and he's been so patient and hard-working. It is somewhat ironic that Rockne tried out and seemingly clicked with both of Mark's former partners. But that's how things sized-up.

I do hope Mark feels a deep measure of satisfaction in what he and Lindsay were able to accomplish this season, and most of all in what he and Amanda contributed for so many years to U.S. pairs and to the sport of figure skating. Thank you, Mark, and good luck in your future endeavors.

Indeed U.S. pairs is heating up, with so many well-developing, potentially great, and exciting partnerships. That's a good thing. Now please stay together all, at least in the top senior ranks!!!

ETA:
    BTW, I think U.S. pairs individually and collectively need to consider trying to be their own and their respective partner's savior, and then go from there. Anything else will be 'icing on the cake.'
    Last edited by aftershocks; 02-19-2013 at 08:23 PM.

vCash
    One thing is for sure Nationals next year will be loaded for Pairs compared to this season where it was rather sparse with D/C being healthy and Rockne back in the game and some promising Junior teams.

vCash
    Purely out of attractiveness, I would love to see S/K, Y/R and Donlan/Speroff do well. I always wonder why American male pair skaters all have this bald irish woodworker look. I still can't tell Coughlin, Ladwig and Barrett apart it's ridiculous.

I miss Keauna and Rockne. I really liked them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by analia View Post
    Purely out of attractiveness, I would love to see S/K, Y/R and Donlan/Speroff do well. I always wonder why American male pair skaters all have this bald irish woodworker look. I still can't tell Coughlin, Ladwig and Barrett apart it's ridiculous.

^^ Hmmm, Barrett and now Ladwig are no longer skating eligibly. Coughlin is the tallest of the three, and Barrett is the shortest, I believe. Coughlin and Barrett have skated with the same partner. And I think all three guys are equally handsome, personable and seemingly decent guys to be around. I've heard that Coughlin and Ladwig have great senses of humor, and even enjoyed teasing each other on occasion.

Most of all, there's nothing wrong with either bald or balding guys. Just ask Steffi Graf, the Kween, and the Duchess of Cambridge. No matter guys' hairlines or the thickness of strands on their tomes, it's what they have in their hearts, minds, characters, and actions that counts.

I believe Keauna is very happy performing in skating shows these days. If you miss Keauna and Rockne together, you could try looking up some of their past performances on Youtube. And, you might also look forward to seeing Rockne skating with his new partner Lindsay this coming season.

vCash
    Hahaha!

I am not super hopeful for this pairing (maybe I will be proven wrong). Go Linsday for being able to get three great male partners! Girl clearly knows how to sell herself! That being said, my best to all the teams. I cant wait to see how Nationals plays out next year!

vCash
    this bald irish woodworker look.
    Phrase of the day. Everyone must try to work it into regular conversation at least once.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Well I am glad everyone is so enthusiastic and hopeful as I really like Rockney. Didnt think it would work with his last 9y old partner and I think he could have found someone a lot stronger this time around..Oh well, hope I am wrong...

vCash

Barrett is the hottest out of those 3 in my opininion, but Rockne blows them all out of the water! So glad he found a partner and didn't go the route of Drew Meekins - another talented hottie who was not so lucky with his partners and forced to stop.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SLIVER View Post
    Well I am glad everyone is so enthusiastic and hopeful as I really like Rockney. Didnt think it would work with his last 9y old partner and I think he could have found someone a lot stronger this time around..Oh well, hope I am wrong...
    i'm not sure there is anyone else available at an acceptable height.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SLIVER View Post
    Well, but who exactly?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    They announced their split the week after US Nationals.
    USFS announced Davis/Ladwig's split in a Feb. 7th press release: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48971&type=media
    Davis/Brubaker's new partnership was announced today, 12 days later. Mark Ladwig tweeted today "Congrats to you both & good luck!"

Hope they can get some GP assignments to give them some good experience in the fall prior to nationals.
    Under the current GP selection "rules," they would be eligible to be selected by USFS only as a host pick for Skate America and, if they monitor well this summer, they could be assigned to a Senior B or 2 as well.

I believe skaters can only receive donations via the New England Amateur Skating Foundation if/when they register with them first.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    ^^ Thanks, Sylvia.

And so, how do fans find out whether skaters are registered with NEASF or not? I know Adam Rippon and some other skaters have a section on their official site specifically mentioning that donations can be sent to NEASF in their name.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post

Under the current GP selection "rules," they would be eligible to be selected by USFS only as a host pick for Skate America and, if they monitor well this summer, they could be assigned to a Senior B or 2 as well.
    Marley/Brubaker placed 10th at World Championships last season. If the rules are the same next year, Davis/Brubaker qualify as a "Returning Split Couple" (GP Announcement 2.2.b), based on Brubaker's results with Marley:

Pairs or Dance couples, who were previously in the top 7 to 12 of an ISU World Figure Skating Championships in the past two seasons (2010/11 or 2011/12*) but who split and now have a new partner, may always be chosen as a Host Country Skater paragraph as per 2.2. f) and in addition, may be considered as an Organizing Member's Choice as per paragraph 2.2 g.) The will be ranked in the list of Season's Best scores by taking the season's points of their partnership with thieer most recent previous partner, if proof is given in writing by their Member that they intend to continue their competitive career and their return is announced and confirmed by the date of the annual Selection Meeting. Such Pairs/Dance couples are defined as a 'Returning Split Couple' and such Returning Split Couples do not need to fulfill the requirement of a minimum score.
    *If the rules stay the same, for next season, that would be in 2011/12 or 2012/13.

Paragraph 2.2.g says that if there are any spots left after guaranteed ones are assigned, hosts can choose anyone on the Top 75 SB list who has the GP minimum (unless otherwise exempt, like Split Couples/Returning Split Couples and Comeback Skaters or Teams/Return Skaters or Teams).

Marley/Brubaker's PB score from 2011/12 was 178.89 from 2012 Four Continents. That put them 11th on the Pairs PB list at the end of last season, and the score would be 10th on today's SB list (by a .09) hair over James/Cipres.

Davis/Brubaker could get two, if USFS and another host chooses them in the initial selection, one if either USFS or another host chooses them, or none, if USFS and another host skips them. If they get less than two in the initial selection, USFS could hold a spot open as a TBA and assign it to them later, or they might be chosen as a substitute, since Return Skaters/Couples are at the top of the alternates list.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 02-20-2013 at 01:21 AM.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Duh me - I totally blanked out on Brubaker's 2012 Worlds placement!

Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    how do fans find out whether skaters are registered with NEASF or not?
    There is no way that I know of besides NEASF being mentioned and included on skaters' official sites.

ETA: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news (new, working link for the original article in post #1)
    Last edited by Sylvia; 02-20-2013 at 04:42 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    With all of the info you keep straight, it's amazing how rare it is for you to forget
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    And so, how do fans find out whether skaters are registered with NEASF or not?
    Guess it does not hurt to contact NEASF and/or the skater directly or via social media, if applicable?

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    When I was sponsoring skaters, I just paid some of their bills for them. No tax break but it was simpler and effective. I knew exactly where the money was going, too.

(Man, I miss the dot.com boom days.)
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Re-posting some of my thoughts from the U.S. pairs thread, along with additional observations:

Once the rumors that Lindsay and Mark were breaking up got out, there was simultaneous speculation that Lindsay and Rockne would tryout -- it seemed almost like a done deal. I guess all concerned waited a respectable time (first to announce the Davis/ Ladwig split), and then to announce the new pairing, after the tryout.

Good luck to Lindsay and Rockne! I'm happy for them that they both seem to feel they've found a partnership for the long haul -- keeping my fingers-crossed for them.

It's too bad that it didn't work out for Lindsay and Mark, but Lindsay seemed to address that in the IN article with her comment that her pairing with Mark was "[at most] a two-season partnership, because of Mark's age." I wonder if Mark and Lindsay discussed that aspect in detail before joining up? E.g., that they were both agreeing to the fact that they were teaming only to see if they could make the Olympics? I also wonder what the "differences" were that they "couldn't work through after Nationals." In any case, Lindsay appears to have understandably desired a long term pairs career.

It's interesting that Rockne mentions he and Lindsay both previously trained under Todd Sand and have similar styles as a result. Lindsay is definitely the perfect height and maturity for Rockne. It was simply an unpredictable timing factor re Lindsay and Mark having teamed up prior to the break-up of Mary Beth and Rockne, so who knew Rockne would once again be available? And, I mean, how could any young experienced pairs lady of the right height resist the prospect of a longer term partner in Rockne Brubaker? OTOH, whoosh, re the timing and all, but I guess that's the way it goes these days in pairs figure skating. Rockne has had to face a lot of obstacles, including the heartache of two difficult pairs break-ups, so I'm happy for him that his personal and skating lives are looking up partnership-wise. He definitely deserves great things, and he's been so patient and hard-working. It is somewhat ironic that Rockne tried out and seemingly clicked with both of Mark's former partners. But that's how things sized-up.

I do hope Mark feels a deep measure of satisfaction in what he and Lindsay were able to accomplish this season, and most of all in what he and Amanda contributed for so many years to U.S. pairs and to the sport of figure skating. Thank you, Mark, and good luck in your future endeavors.

Indeed U.S. pairs is heating up, with so many well-developing, potentially great, and exciting partnerships. That's a good thing. Now please stay together all, at least in the top senior ranks!!!
    Happy for Rockne on so many accounts! Hope this new partnership works well for Lindsay & Rockne!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast