Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Recovering from the Olys
    vCash

New U.S. Pair: Rockne Brubaker & Lindsay Davis

Re-posting from the U.S. Pairs thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingsit View Post
    Didn't take long... Rockne Brubaker and Lindsay Davis have teamed up: http://www.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Excerpts:
    The team will train in Canton, Mich., with Marina Zoueva and Johnny Johns.
    Brubaker is also hoping that he and Davis will have a lengthy future together.

"My goal is [to make the Olympic team] next season, but if I can go to two Olympics, I'd love to," he said. "For me, the two things that will dictate that will be my health and finances. I, personally, can't afford to train the way that I need to. I've always held a full-time job while I've competed. I feel like as long as I'm healthy, I can be competitive, not just nationally but internationally."

Brubaker said that the team is already talking to Zoueva and Johns about music possibilities for next season, and laying out their schedule. They hope to be ready to skate in some shows and local competitions by early summer.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Good. I hope that they will work with the 2018 Olys in Korea in mind. America doesn't need another shortsighted and 'disposable' pair just looking for instant-gratification one year before Olys.

vCash
    Thank you, Sylvia. They are training with Caitlin and Josh?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    The upcoming summer competition season for pairs should be exciting!
    Last edited by Sylvia; 02-19-2013 at 04:44 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Yeah for Rockne!!! It's nice to hear that they clicked immediately on the first day of tryout!!

vCash
    That's great news.
    All good fortune to the new pair!

vCash
    YAYYYYYY! I've been waiting for this!

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Could the U.S. get three pairs spots?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jjane45 View Post
    Yeah for Rockne!!! It's nice to hear that they clicked immediately on the first day of tryout!!
    They all say that. Realistically, with her dumping Mark and him partnerless and running out of time, they were both desperate for anything they could get. However, it is great that he can skate with a girl who has real Sr pairs experience and is only 6 yrs younger. She's less likely to feel overwhelmed by this situation.

I thought it was interesting that Rockne mentioned that his finances were an issue for him in continuing to 2018. Stuff like that is always sad to me. I just wish it was easier for these athletes to focus on skating, but it just doesn't seem realistic in today's world.

vCash
    Themi, Ladwig and now Rockne....she is a very lucky girl.

vCash
    Thrilled for both of them! I really hope this works out long-term, since I liked both of them in the past with their prior partners.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    In regards to the 2014 Olympics? Simply put: no chance. However, with the current amount of teams competing at 18 and both US teams likely to make the free skate (top 16), one team would have to finish at least 12th-- which I think is surely possible to maintain two teams for 2014.

vCash
    Great news! Very happy for Rockne and Lindsay.

vCash
    On the plus side - She's the right height, age and comes equipped with a nice amount of experience. She also doesn't seem to be too much of a head case with SBS jumps. Finally, she has decent enough extension.

I'm glad they got together this early. They have a 5 month jump on the first summer competitions which is yet another advantage.

Does anyone have any opinions on Johnny Johns as a pairs coach? I got the impression he could be a little 'rough' at times.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wheeler View Post
    In regards to the 2014 Olympics? Simply put: no chance. However, with the current amount of teams competing at 18 and both US teams likely to make the free skate (top 16), one team would have to finish at least 12th-- which I think is surely possible to maintain two teams for 2014.
    There's a slight chance. The Chinese pairs don't sound good, and who knows about Russia's #2 and #3 with injuries. It's doubtful that the U.S. will get 3 pairs, but there is a very teeny tiny chance.

Briber of judges
    vCash
    Nice to know they are thinking long term already. It will be a very interesting battle for the Olympic spots next season.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Maybe they both should sign a prenup type of contract: you're committed to be my skating partner to x number of years, otherwise you will have to pay x amount of dollars for each year that you broke the contract.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    There's a slight chance. The Chinese pairs don't sound good, and who knows about Russia's #2 and #3 with injuries. It's doubtful that the U.S. will get 3 pairs, but there is a very teeny tiny chance.
    Agreed. A lot of it would depend on which Chinese pairs actually go to Worlds and how competition-ready they would be (not that the Chinese federation would ever 'encourage' them to show up if they're not fully recovered ahem ). In case both P/T and S/H are out, that would open up the field a bit. Factor in K/S and B/L dealing with injuries, as well and who knows what might happen? Obviously, those 3 spots would depend on much better pairs not showing up to Worlds, not so much anything skating-related. 2 spots is doable, regardless of who competes.

vCash
    Wow, what a month for Rockne!!! He got a new pair partner AND a fiance in less than 3 weeks time!

Watch me move
    vCash
    Geez, maybe we should let them skate together for a while and get accustomed to each other before we start labeling them as the Saviours of Sochi.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast