Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

A very strange voice mail

I found a very strange voice mail on my home phone when I got home today. The person identified himself/herself (I couldn't tell if it was a man or a woman, but more likely a man) and said - "...there is investigation and legal action against your name & identity; call me at .(phone number). I did not recognize the area code. It was pretty scary, so i called my attorney's office to ask what I should do. He had no idea, but he agreed to call that number and get back with me. He said it could be a scam but he was not sure. I have not heard from him yet, but it's been less than one hour since we talked. It could be Monday before I hear from him.

Does this sound odd to anyone? First of all, I have not done anything to bring legal action against me. Second, if there was a legal action, I thought I would receive a letter/document of some kind. I am trying to estimate the danger involved here. Is someone trying to steal my identity? Could there really be a lawsuit against me (but what for?)?

Anyone had a similar experience?

vCash
    Is it something like this Vash?

YEAH!
    vCash
    Try googling the phone number (in quotes). There are some websites where people report spam calls coming from certain numbers.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Definitely Google the number before doing anything else. It could be someone phishing.

Also, if you have legal action against you, I believe most of the time they send it to your address by certified mail. I mean, who knows if you'll ever get around to listening to your voicemail.

vCash
    This totally sounds like a scam. Do not reply to that phone number. They are most likely trying to get your personal information. If there is anything legitimate, you will be contacted in writing by certified mail, not by phone. I get these kind of phone calls from time to time saying there is something fraudulent going on with my credit card. It's a scam. In the event that VISA is trying to check out some charges, they leave me a detailed message with their official phone number to call back. I recognize the wording on the call now and when I call back, I get their automated system that asks me to review and OK recent transactions. Remember to NEVER EVER GIVE OUT PERSONAL INFORMATION OVER THE PHONE unless you initiate the phone conversation and you are positive you are talking to someone official from the company you called. No one from a legitimate company will ever ask you to give them your social security number, passwords, PINs, etc.

If you do get trapped on the phone with one of these scammers, ask for their contact information and then tell them that you plan to report them to the Better Business Bureau. If you think there is any chance of the call being legitimate, ask them to send you whatever it is in surface mail. They should already know your mailing address if it's someone you do business with.

vCash
    If you're registered with Do Not Call, report the call and the number that was left on your voice message.

vCash
    I have heard of an email scam that sounds similar to this call. It tries to scare people into sending money or suffer legal consequences for one reason or another.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by madm View Post

If you do get trapped on the phone with one of these scammers, ask for their contact information and then tell them that you plan to report them to the Better Business Bureau.
    The BBB is a toothless organization.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Scam. They're looking to get your financial information over the phone. If there were an actual legal action, you'd get letters or even something via process server, not a random voice mail.

vCash
    Did they actually give your full name and other details to acknowledge they knew something about you? If they just said "your name and identity" how would they know who in the household would be listening to the message? I would not do anything. If they want to reach you, and actually have your details, they'll try again and other ways.

vCash
    Vash, I'm with the others above. Scams are getting more and more sophisticated. I wouldn't get into any conversation on the phone with anyone. I figure if there is any legal problem, I will be contacted by mail. Or a police person would show up at my home. If this person calls again, try referring him/her to your lawyer directly without revealing any info. If it is real, they'll get in touch again appropriately. Don't call, sounds fishy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DAngel View Post
    Is it something like this Vash?
    It's somewhat similar to what's reported in this article. The voice mail said that there is an investigation and legal action against my name & identity but it did not ask for money. I did not call back. I will try to google the number like other posters suggested here. I am not on a 'do not call' list because long ago when I registered for that list, it did not stop the silly phone calls.

If I had to report this, who should I contact? The attorney general's office in my state? This area code is definitely not from my state. I am very concerned about identity theft. May be it's time to get on the 'do not call' list or have an unlisted phone number.

ETA: I did a google search and it's a phone no. from Denver, PA (not CO) area. I found this link where several people have complained of getting a phone call from this number. I did not post anything there; just read the posts.

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/7174848014

I am still wondering who to contact to complain. If I contact the Attorney General's office in my state will they contact the PA AG's office, or would I have to call the PA AG? I think I will try the AZ AG's office first and see what they say.
    Last edited by Vash01; 03-09-2013 at 12:29 AM.

vCash
    I received a similar call a few months ago. It was a series of phone calls telling me that I had failed to repay a loan. They claimed they were from an attorney's office. The guy told me his name was Dave, then excused himself to answer another call and I could hear him introduce himself as another name. I told him I knew it was a scam and then he told me a warrant had been issued for my arrest. Then they called back, this time it was a woman with a very thick Jamaican accent who got very aggresive when I told her I had reported the number and called me an idiot.

I googled the number and found out it was a scam. They tell you you're behind on a loan and offer to help you settle it, all you have to do is give them your bank account number. I contacted my AG's office and they said they have a list of these number, but it's difficult to track them down. These people use phishing software, they call someone and "steal" their number so they can use it. So while the number may show up as coming from one state, they could be in another.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    Did they actually give your full name and other details to acknowledge they knew something about you? If they just said "your name and identity" how would they know who in the household would be listening to the message? I would not do anything. If they want to reach you, and actually have your details, they'll try again and other ways.
    He addressed me by my first name and last name, and then said that an investigation and legal action was being taken against me. It's not hard to find someone's full name. I don't have an unlisted phone no. However, just now I registered myself on the 'do not call list'. I am curious to see if I receive more such phone calls.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Just ignore it - nothing will happen.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash

Re: A very strange voice mail

It's a scam, somone who was truly taking legal action against you wouldnt tell you, you would just get served papers notifying you of a lawsuit and ordering you to be in court on a certain day.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    There's so many scams going around. It definitely sounds like one of those scams where they try to scare you in order to get your personal info. I would definitely ignore it.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    My attorney tried calling that number. It said the mailbox was full and it was not a professional org. at all. Conclusion: It's a scam- as almost everyone here guessed correctly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    It's somewhat similar to what's reported in this article. The voice mail said that there is an investigation and legal action against my name & identity but it did not ask for money. I did not call back. I will try to google the number like other posters suggested here. I am not on a 'do not call' list because long ago when I registered for that list, it did not stop the silly phone calls.

I am still wondering who to contact to complain. If I contact the Attorney General's office in my state will they contact the PA AG's office, or would I have to call the PA AG? I think I will try the AZ AG's office first and see what they say.
    Using the telephone system for fraudulent purposes can amount to a federal crime. You could call the United States Attorney's Office. You're in Arizona, aren't you? If so, I would call the one in Phoenix (or Tucson, if that's closer). But, again, you could also report this to Do Not Call.

vCash
    So glad you did not get hooked, Vash. We regularly get the fedex scam emails about a package, people at the door for phony water heaters and the weird Scientology calls claiming to locate an old contact. One of the worst I ever heard was the one where someone calls to warn you that a contract on your life has been put out on you; the caller feels remorse and will ignore the whole thing as long as you pay him off! And the scams directed at seniors are particularly vile!
    Email scams I get I report to the real company, I release no info. on the phone and tell people that I do not do business at the door. It's worked well so far. Hate it that we have to do this!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast