Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    She competed with last seasons long program
    Bleh. Not only is this her all-time worst LP program, it's one of my least favorite programs by any skater ever. It literary bores me to tears.

And that wasn't a good performance. botched the 3-3 attempt, toe-axeled all three double toes, and her lutz and flips weren't done well or with any height. Only jumps I wouldn't give -ve GOEs to are the loop (and that's pushing it with the 5-minute prep) and the 2axel. She earned her spot at worlds, but I hope she dumps this sorry excuse of a program. I'd rather her botch Poeta or Aranjuez instead

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post

But honestly, this is going to be some world championships... I don't think we've had nearly the same caliber of skaters since 2007 Worlds.
    I agree! Can't say I've been this excited for the ladies event in quite a while.

vCash
    Congrats to Leonova!! She may be in a bit of a rough patch but in the end she is the better skater of the two (comparing to Gosviani). Hoping she gets the worlds spot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    I'm curious about Nicole Gosviani's heritage. Her name doesn't sound very Russian.
    Her surname is Georgian. Not peach cobbler Georgian. Churchkhela Georgian.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cbd1235 View Post
    Congrats to Leonova!! She may be in a bit of a rough patch but in the end she is the better skater of the two (comparing to Gosviani). Hoping she gets the worlds spot.
    She isn't.

vCash
    Kanako's placement could vary a lot based on the caller and how around her jumps are on that day...could make the difference between a 4th vs like 12th place finish honestly. I hope Gosviani goes. I like her. She's skated well at all the events she's competed at starting with Nationals so I think that should count for something considering this was the first decent competition Leonova has had all season. Just because Leonova has a reputation cushion and the potential to score higher doesn't mean she should necessarily be given the spot, as the 3rd entrant the placement issue really is not pertinent anyways. Plus maybe Nikol will get SWP bonus at Worlds, she really is quite the beauty.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cbd1235 View Post
    Leonova is the more experienced and accomplished of the two but not the better one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I hope Leonova gets sent. If not, what was the point of holding the skate-off?
    Question: Was this competition officially made as a skate-off for Leonova vs Gosviani / Menshov vs Kotvun (who didn't even skate here)? or was it just a regular national competition that they hold every year around this time that PEOPLE BELIEVE to be Leonova / Menshov's last chance to make a case?

I ask because if this was meant to be a skate off for the 3rd ladies spot and the sole men spot, why wouldn't Kotvun have skated?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Question: Was this competition officially made as a skate-off for Leonova vs Gosviani / Menshov vs Kotvun (who didn't even skate here)? or was it just a regular national competition that they hold every year around this time that PEOPLE BELIEVE to be Leonova / Menshov's last chance to make a case?

I ask because if this was meant to be a skate off for the 3rd ladies spot and the sole men spot, why wouldn't Kotvun have skated?
    What the Russian Federation said was that Gosviani, Leonova, Menshov, Gachinski and Kovtun would be monitored at this competition before they made the final decision regarding the Worlds team.

Which basically allows them to still do whatever they want because they never said that the highest placed skater wins the spot on the team.

vCash
    Leonova really showed her worth last season when everyone dismissed her as a placeholder for Tuk, Sot and Lip but she went on to medal at Worlds. But then again she has just been utterly disappointing this season. Strategically I think giving her a kick in the pants (by not sending her to Worlds) is a good thing.

Whoever that is going to Worlds between her and Gosviani is not going to be relied upon for keeping 3 spots anyway, and Gosviani did decently enough at Nationals and Euros to merit the Fed giving her a chance at Worlds. It's not like Leonova had a great season and only bombed Nationals. Meanwhile should Lip's jumps desert her after her growth spurt and the Polinas (and Leonova herself as well as Makarova) continue their inconsistencies, Gosviani can be a possibility for Sochi. It's always good to have another back up with some international experience.

vCash
    I agree with you. I would send Gosviani to Worlds without any skate-offs because 6th place was a very good result for her. But since they have done the skate-off, it wouldn't be fair to Leonova to stay home.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 02-20-2013 at 10:31 AM.

vCash
    Depends on what they are trying to monitor. Are they trying to see who wins head to head, or are they just trying to test if Gosviani's Euros outing was a fluke.

If it is the former, Leonova goes. If it is the latter, Gosviani still has a chance and it still wouldn't be unfair to Leonova.

I mean, after Nationals, 2 things happened: (1) Leonova beat Gosviani at a domestic event and (2) Gosviani skated well at her international to qualify for Euros and placed well at Euros. How much importance is attached to each of these 2 situations in addition to Nationals and Leonova's poor season so far?

vCash
    Really, I wish that Polina Korobeynikova could have held it together enough to win.

I think she has the best jumps of the lot and she started off strong in the event but totally fell apart at the end of her long program.

I know last year she fell apart at worlds but I think she has a lot of good stuff going for her!

vCash
    Marco - good point. Gosviani didn't win here but she did give decent performances with a more or less clean short and ok enough free. And it will be up to Tuk and Sot to win 3 Sochi spots anyhow, neither Leonova nor Gosviani are likely to factor in here.

Skater91- Korobeynikova has been falling at each competition since 2012 Euros, I'm afraid.

vCash
    Skater91- Korobeynikova has been falling at each competition since 2012 Euros, I'm afraid.
    And even there, she bombed the short.

I liked her a lot last season, but somehow I wonder if it was the Otonal music that made her skating appear better than it really was. If that was the case, perhaps her next music should be Turandot (another piece of music that makes someone's skating appear better than what it actually is).

Either that, or Volchkova is too busy nursing her baby to provide proper coaching and support to her. All of her students have regressed this season. She especially lost the fliptoe combo and lutz.
    Last edited by Marco; 02-20-2013 at 11:00 AM.

vCash

Watching at cup of nice 2012 she put out a pretty good performance for her considering her flops all over the place....

The worst part about her flopping all the time for me is that her jumps can be really good, she just never does them!

vCash
    But I believe Russian federation will send leonova to worlds since Nichole already got euro. Leonova last season's achievements are superb. Who knows what will happen next season

vCash
    When will they make the final decision? I am so happy that Leonova might come to Worlds!

vCash
    Leonova: I Deserve Figure Skating Worlds Spot - short article in English: http://en.rsport.ru/other_sports/201...646475699.html
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Her surname is Georgian. Not peach cobbler Georgian. Churchkhela Georgian.
    Ah! Now I see - thank you!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast