out in a boat (out and about) in Nova Scotia b'ye!
    vCash

Healthy slow cooker recipes

I just got a slow cooker for my birthday but don't have any recipes yet. Anyone have any good, healthy recipes? I need ideas LOL
    The mind of the performer is a very strange thing.
    ~James Galway

vCash

Roast chicken

One of the easiest is to buy a whole chicken, season with rotisserie spices. Take a couple sheets of aluminum foil and make large balls. Oil the crock pot (use veg/olive or even a spray). Place the cleaned seasoned chicken breast side down on the balls. You want the chicken about an inch or two off the bottom. Cook for 4-8 hours. I use a meat thermometer at the 4 hour mark to check for doneness.

I use the juices for gravy or soup (after removing all fat). The meat can be served as is, the rest shredded for broken up for soup and other dishes.

vCash
    Just yesterday, I made turkey legs in the slow cooker. The only things added are a little water and a package of Beefy Onion Lipton soup. 8 hours later (cooked on low), and you'll have tender, seasoned, tasty turkey legs.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I have also done a whole chicken in my crock pot. I have never worried about greasing the crock pot or using the foil balls. I've never had an issue with it sticking or anything. Although, now that I think about it I do put down chunks of onion and carrots so that it does sit on something. I prefer that because they are cheap and flavor the broth which I use. The broth is like a freebie that comes with your chicken. I save it and freeze it for later and use it whenever I need it, I am always looking for low sodium options.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I got one for Christmas, and here are a few recipes that my family has loved:

Irish Guinness Beef Stew

Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup

Crock Pot Maple Salmon
    Definitely use fresh, not frozen.

Italian Beef Roast/

Zesty Slow Cooker Chicken Barbecue

Vegetable Soup
    I used beef broth instead of stew beef, deleted the potatoes, added lentils and threw in a bunch of my favorite fresh veggies like zucchini, red peppers and squash.

Slow Cooker Fresh Vegetable Soup Recipe
    I haven't tried this one yet, but it looks really good.

vCash
    A crock pot is a great way to make homemade stock, too.

http://www.nourishingdays.com/2009/0...the-crock-pot/
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Thanks, copied the two soup recipes, they sound great! Also, the Irish stew sounds
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

in my underground bunker plotting your downfall
    vCash
    I don't remember where I got this; maybe from a skating board:

CROCK POT TACO SOUP

1- 2 pounds ground beef or turkey
    1 onion, chopped
    2 cans pinto beans
    2 cans Rotel
    1 can whole kernel corn
    1 can hominy
    1 package dry taco seasoning
    1 package dry ranch dressing mix
    grated cheddar cheese
    corn chips

In crock pot or other slow cooker, place beans, corn, Rotel, and
    hominy (juice from cans, also). Add taco seasoning and dressing mix,
    and stir well to mix.

In a frying pan, cook meat and onions until meat is cooked, then add
    to the crock pot and stir to mix. Add water until the pot is full.

Cook on high at least three hours. The longer you cook this soup, the
    better it gets.

It keeps great in the fridge for two or three days, covered.

To serve, place soup in bowls and top with the grated cheese; eat with
    the corn chips.

This is a post I copied and saved from the old Skating Forums board. It's not a "healthy" recipe, though:

"Incredible Crock Pot Gooey Chocolate Cake

Roll over & beg for mercy! It is that good! You must use a 5 qt. or larger crockpot. Serve this warm with ice cream. It was served at a ladies’ holiday party and no one even looked at all the other excellent desserts. Tiramisu, sopapillas, cheesecake, poundcake, fudge - no one even tasted them and we are talking serious dessert afficiandos.

Slow Cooker Chocolate Cake

1 box chocolate cake mix
    1 box instant chocolate pudding mix
    1 cup water
    4 eggs
    3/4 cup vegetable oil
    2 cups (16 oz.tub) sour cream
    2 teaspoons vanilla

Beat together well then add

1 bag chocolate chips

Spray a large crock pot with a nonstick oil spray. Pour mix in and cook until the center is puffy and the edges pull away from the sides. About 3 hrs. on high OR 6 hrs. on low heat. Spoon into small dishes & serve with ice cream; try vanilla, coffee or mint ice cream for the holidays. Serves a crowd since just a small dish will send a chocoholic into a stupor. EVERY CROCKPOT IS DIFFERENT, so please watch your cake in the last hour so it doesn't burn. The 6 hr. on low heat seems to get the best results. Cakes have been reported as burnt at less than 6 hrs. and not done at 6 hrs.

Patsy's comments: I cut it in half and used a "regular size" Crock Pot (3 quarts, I believe--the original Crock Pot size). Worked marvelously 5 hours on low. You serve it by scooping out of the Crock Pot into serving dishes.

Truly to die for!"
    When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed."
    Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Oh my! That cake sounds fantastic! Definitely will try that one! OK, I was planning on a slow-cooker meal tonight but I can't decide between Italian and Cajun. I'm thinking Cajun.

I bought 2 cans of red beans (I know...should be using dry Camille's Beans, but it takes too long...) and roasted whole tomatoes. Got some onion, garlic, andouille, and I picked up some organic ready-made chicken meatballs with asiago cheese in them. Some Hunt's tomato sauce which I could drink from the can-I love it. Think I'll throw all that in the pot and see what happens. Never done it before, but Richard says he's in the mood for red beans.

Crock pot chili is the easiest:

1 pound of ground turkey or beef
    1 can diced tomatos
    1 can Bush's seasoned chili beans (mild-, medium or hot!)
    1 package chili seasoning
    1 onion chopped
    1 green bell pepper chopped
    clove or two of chopped garlic
    Chop up any type of fresh peppers-banana, ancho, jalapeno
    Extra tomato sauce if you have room

Cook 4 hours on high. Don't stir too often, especiall if using turkey. The turkey has a tendancy to fall apart and not stay in nice bite-sized chunks.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I use my slow cooker for chili more than anything. I used to do a recipe that included ground beef and pasta shells, but over the years I've made it totally vegan. And before anyone claims this is not real chili, I'm from a region with no chili tradition, so I get to make my version up

Saute onions and a variety of peppers (sweet/hot) in oil in a fry pan, and season with whatever dried or ground peppers or Mexican/southwest/Texan seasonings you like.

Add to a slow cooker with a can or two of diced tomatoes, and a can or two of whatever beans you like (I mix it up with red or white kidney, pinto, black, romano, etc). Add a bay leaf (fresh if you have it!) and any dried seasonings you like, such as oregano. Depending on the flavours you added already, now would be a good time for chopped up chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, or your hot sauce of choice.

Let bubble lightly for hours, and add a handful of frozen corn about an hour before you plan to eat. The corn adds a bit of sweetness to contrast the heat, and it also adds a nice colour to the mix of reds and greens from the tomatoes and peppers.

At this point the chili is vegan, and stays vegetarian with the toppings and sides: we serve with a bunch of toppings to choose from - green onions, shredded cheddar, fresh cilantro, sour cream - and sometimes buttered toast.

As with any chili, it's better the longer you cook it, and even better if reheated the next day or the next.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Can you be more specific about what you're looking for re "healthy"? IMO no recipe that includes sour cream or packages of dried soup mix can be classified as healthy. Not that that means they aren't good of course (that cake one does look particularly nummy!), but if I had a better idea of your criteria ...

I too tend to use my crock pot mostly for stews & soups. Oh, and to cook dried beans for other recipes -- it's the easiest method, if not the quickest.

I have a timer on my crock pot so I can do ready-when-I-get-home dinners, or even breakfast like this amazing oatmeal recipe (scroll down). The chocolate pear cake recipe at that same link is pretty great too.

vCash
    And here are some links to slow cooker recipes from a couple of my favourite magazines.

Slow Cooker - tips and recipes (this has lots of good "getting started" info)

Recipes (I make a vegetarian version of the Moroccan tajine, very yummy)

Slow cooker express (the squash & chick pea curry is delish!)

vCash
    Try searching slow cooker recipes at Canadian Living (www.canadianliving.com) in the food/recipes only area - or here is a link from the recipe index where I choose this in the cooking method area - crock pot/slow cooker http://www.canadianliving.com/recipe...okcrockpot.php

Canadian Living recipes are "tested till perfect" - well most of them are pretty good in my experience. They also provide detailed nutritional information. Some of them will let you recalculate by number of servings wanted.

They do also have reader recipes included that are not reviewed so contain no nutritional information and have not been "tested till perfect".

vCash
    ^ The 3rd link I posted above is from Canadian Living. I agree, their recipes are excellent without fail.

vCash
    Ooh, I really want to try that cake recipe.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

in my underground bunker plotting your downfall
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    IMO no recipe that includes sour cream or packages of dried soup mix can be classified as healthy.
    Recipes can be modified to leave out the sour cream (or just use a fat-free version) or packaged soup mix or spices. Our family tends to do this with most recipes. If the recipes calls for canned vegetables, we use fresh ones or frozen ones instead. If you need to use canned vegetables, use the low-sodium version or drain the vegetables into a colander and rinse them. Leave out the dry taco seasoning and add your choice of diced peppers instead. I leave out the dry ranch dressing; the recipe doesn't really need it.

When we were kids, my mother would change cookie and cake recipes to cut down on the amount of sugar we were getting. She had cookbooks but usually used a small notebook filled with hand-written recipes she had developed.
    When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed."
    Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

vCash
    I do what I call Salsa Chicken. I take a couple of chicken breasts (3 or 4) and chuck them in the crock pot. Then I dump a jar of salsa (the smaller jar) on top. Cook on low while at work (6-8 hours is best). When you get home, shred the chicken and use on top of a salad, or whatever. The flavoring comes from the salsa. Easy peasy and tasty too!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    That cake sounds delicious but I am not sure why you wouldn't just prefer to throw it in the oven for less than an hour. The amounts and ingredients wouldn't need to change, it sounds like altered cake recipes I have heard. Must be very rich with 4 eggs!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    That cake sounds delicious but I am not sure why you wouldn't just prefer to throw it in the oven for less than an hour. The amounts and ingredients wouldn't need to change, it sounds like altered cake recipes I have heard. Must be very rich with 4 eggs!
    Try it and let us know.

vCash
    This is a great slow cooker blog site: http://crockpot365.blogspot.ca