Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    vCash
    That is great news! I hope that she gets it.

vCash
    I hope she is able to get citizenship too.

Tobias traveled to the Lithuanian capitol of Vilnius in December to be interviewed, and also passed a Lithuanian language test with flying colors, but the Citizenship Committee decided against her application.

"I think it is because we don't train in Lithuania, but the country just doesn't have the facilities and the coaching we would need," she said. "Other Lithuanian athletes train outside of the country. Polls show the Lithuanian people are definitely in favor of having us compete in the Olympics."
    I'm impressed she learned the language. And I agree with her- it probably would be better to train in Lithuania as far as citizenship is concerned, but I doubt they would be at the level they were at if they did.

Since they have the spot now, hopefully the country reconsiders. Not allowing her citizenship would deny one of their citizens the opportunity. I have always been baffled by countries that choose to not use their spots.

vCash
    For the team event, the pairs free programme will be skated on the same evening as the short dance and ladies short (immediately following, in fact). Since only 5 pairs get to skate the free programme, and since those five pairs are chosen based upon the cumulative scores of all of the short programmes, then the five pairs who will *not* skate their free programme will only find out at the last minute, right? I know that some pairs can bank on skating their free programme, but I'd imagine that a couple or a few would be on the bubble, waiting to hear the dance and ladies results, no? Or am I completely misinterpreting things here?

vCash
    Copying over this relevant post from the WTT thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Osmond earned two spots for Canada for Sochi and 2014 Worlds. Canada can choose to have the same woman skate in the SP and FS, or have different women for each progam. It depends on what their strategy is, since in any two of the four disciplines, they can have different skaters/teams in each phase.

Even were Rochette to come back, whoever the other Ladies entry is would skate in Ladies regardless of whether she was chosen for the Team Event.

As for any substitutions, it depends on what the rules and timelines are for changing entries. Does anyone know what triggers the deadline? First day on practice ice? X days before the start of the event? The SP/SD draw? Something else?

It's not a crazy scenario for a skater/team to sustain or aggravate an injury during the team event or practices. I hope the IOC has made the ISU think this one through.
    From the 2014 Olympics Qualifying System document: http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=4263
    If a NOC/ISU Member has 2 or 3 entries in an individual OWG competition/discipline then the NOC/ISU Member must declare the Skaters/Couples to compete in the Short Program/Short Dance of the Team Event latest at 10.00 hours (a.m.), local time on site of the OWG, the day before the beginning of the first Short Program/Short Dance of the Figure Skating Team Event. For the 5 Teams qualified for the Free Skating/Free Dance of the Figure Skating Team Event the NOC/ISU Member must declare the Skater/Couple competing for the Free Skating/Free Dance immediately (latest about 10 minutes) after the conclusion of the last Short Program/Short Dance of the Team Event in order to ensure that the Team composition of all Teams are known before the beginning of the Free Skating/Free Dance.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-03-2013 at 05:52 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Sylvia, I wasn't clear: I meant the deadlines for substitutions for the individual events after the team event. We've been tossing out two scenarios:

A) What if a country has one an established skater who would like to comeback for the team event only? Could that nation declare the skater as one of the participants, only to have the skater withdraw from the individual event after the team event is over, with the substitute participating in the individual event? Since Rochette expressed interest in the team event only in an interview, this was why Rochette was mentioned (although with the assumption Canada had one spot).

B) What if the country has a single spot in a discipline and a skater who doesn't want to be in the team event? Could that skater be the alternate who skates the individual event after substituting for the skater who skated te team event?
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    ISU Communication No. 1791 - ENTRIES/PARTICIPATION 2014 OLYMPIC WINTER GAMES (OWG) for SINGLE & PAIR SKATING/ICE DANCE was published today: http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=4459

ETA:
    The Announcement for Nebelhorn Trophy (Sept. 25-28, 2013 in Oberstdorf, Germany) is online - it's the "ISU designated Senior International Figure Skating Qualifying Competition to fill the remaining open entries for the XXII Olympic Winter Games in Sochi, Russia for Men, Ladies, Pairs and Ice Dance": http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=4453

ETA #2:
    I've started a separate thread in GSD for the 2013 Nebelhorn Trophy Announcement: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...enior-B-comp-)
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-07-2013 at 04:05 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Countries which have qualified in all disciplines:
    • USA: 3 Ladies, 2 Men, 2 Pairs, 3 Dance
    • CAN: 2 Ladies, 3 Men, 3 Pairs, 3 Dance
    • RUS: 2 Ladies, 1 Men, 3 Pairs, 3 Dance
    • FRA: 1 Ladies, 2 Men, 2 Pairs, 2 Dance
    • GER: 1 Ladies, 1 Men, 2 Pairs, 2 Dance

Countries which have qualified in three disciplines:
    • ITA: 2 Ladies, 2 Pairs, 2 Dance
    • CHN: 2 Ladies, 1 Men, 2 Pairs

Countries which have qualified in two disciplines:
    • JPN: 3 Ladies, 3 Men
    • SWE: 1 Ladies, 1 Men
    • UKR: 1 Ladies, 1 Dance
    • EST: 1 Ladies, 1 Men
    • GBR: 1 Ladies, 1 Dance

Countries which have qualified in one discipline:
    • KOR: 3 Ladies
    • SVK: 1 Ladies
    • KAZ: 2 Men
    • ESP: 2 Men
    • CZE: 2 Men
    • UZB: 1 Men
    • BEL: 1 Men
    • AUT: 1 Men
    • LTU: 1 Dance
    • AZE: 1 Dance

This will make the team event interesting. It might be a good year to be an age-eligible junior dance or pairs team that's recruited for the team event.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I have few questions hopefully someone can answer:

When is the actual absolute deadline for competitors to be named?
    When will we know the final list of competitors?
    Are alternates allowed to be entered?

According to the ISU there are at least two deadlines:
    January 11, 2014: Entry by Name forms (see attached) must be sent by all NOCs/Members which have been allocated an entry to the OWG, including those with remaining stand-by entries, and be received by the ISU Secretariat only, no later than January 11, 2014. In the case that not all NOCs/Members use their full quota of entries and the available entries are reallocated to NOCs/Members with remaining stand-by entries, the NOCs/Members receiving these reallocated entries will be informed by the ISU Secretariat by January 20, 2014.

January 27, 2014: SOCHI Entry by Name forms must be submitted by all NOCs/Members which have been allocated an entry to the OWG. These forms must be sent by NOCs and received by SOCHI no later than January 27, 2014 according to their instructions and a copy also sent to the ISU Secretariat. After this date, in principle no entries can be transferred from one NOC/Member to another NOC/Member.

Based on this, the nominations are being reported twice. Can a NOC (national Olympic committee) change entry with the second reporting or the first one is binding? In other words, can a federation (or NOC) change its initial nomination based on EC? I read that there are some countries basing their final decision based on the EC. I am not sure if this is possible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vexlak View Post
    When is the actual absolute deadline for competitors to be named?
    Direct link to ISU Communication No. 1839 - OLYMPIC WINTER GAMES 2014 ENTRIES/PARTICIPATION FIGURE SKATING TEAM EVENT: http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=5038 (PDF)
    There is a sentence that refers to the "final entry deadline (January 27, 2014)."

Are alternates allowed to be entered?
    Yes.

Communication No. 1839 states:
    3. Confirmation of Team Entry by NOC/ISU Member
    The NOCs/ISU Members of the qualified Teams announced as per paragraph 1 above, are requested to confirm their participation with the attached Entry Form on or before January 11, 2014 to the ISU Secretariat.

4. IOC Athlete Replacement Policy (in case of injury and/or illness)
    The official IOC Athlete Replacement Policy in force at the time of the Sochi Olympic Winter Games applies. For entries related to the Figure Skating Team Event, it is possible to make athletes replacements only up to and during the Team Leaders confirmation meeting for the Figure Skating Team Event, scheduled for 10.00 a.m. on February 5th, 2014.
    For entries related to individual Figure Skating events (Pair Skating, Men, Ice Dance, Ladies) it is possible to make athletes replacements only up to and during the Team Leaders meeting for the Figure Skating (individual) events scheduled for 10.00 a.m. on February 10th, 2014.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-26-2013 at 05:28 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Direct link to ISU Communication No. 1839 - OLYMPIC WINTER GAMES 2014 ENTRIES/PARTICIPATION FIGURE SKATING TEAM EVENT: http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=5038 (PDF)
    There is a sentence that refers to the "final entry deadline (January 27, 2014)."

Yes.

Communication No. 1839 states:
    Thank you Sylvia,
    does that mean the the NOC can name competitor "a" by the 11/1/14 and competitor "b" on the final entry?
    Or will they simply send a alternate in case they change their minnds?
    I looked around and could not find any details on the athlete replacement policy.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    If someone gets injured after the short and they are that country's only skater in the discipline is the country then out of luck?they just lose all the points? Like if Plushenko skates SP, then gets injured and cannot skate long, will Russia just forfeit the points for the men? That really stinks bc although unlikely you basically ruin the team's chances if you get injured between SP and LP.

What if the country has 2 entrants but the country did not specify before? Like suppose Ashley was planning on skating both short and long. She gets hurt after SP. can they make a last minute subsitute for Gracie? I don't think they can, bc replacements can only be named up to Feb 5 and they may have already planned to split up two of the other disciplines. If you are the sole skater for your discipline I think you have to skate if you skated sp or you would lose the points.

vCash
    Does anyone know if the entire figure skating delegation from the country gets a medal if the team medals, or is it just those skaters who actually skate one day or the other in the team event?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vexlak View Post
    IIn other words, can a federation (or NOC) change its initial nomination based on EC? I read that there are some countries basing their final decision based on the EC. I am not sure if this is possible.
    They have in every other Olympic year, and the US and Canada have announced their team later than the early deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie12 View Post
    If someone gets injured after the short and they are that country's only skater in the discipline is the country then out of luck?
    If they still have skaters for the other three disciplines, then yes. If they only have skaters for one or two disciplines, then they have to withdraw from the TE. The Announcement doesn't say whether the next team in line moves into the Final, but this would be logical.

What if the country has 2 entrants but the country did not specify before?
    The only skaters a country has to commit to the SP/SD (and the FS/FD, if the country makes it to the final) are the "appointed" skaters, which for now are the Japanese Pairs team and the UK Man, and the skaters where there is only one qualified for a discipline. The rest are committed 10am on 5 February from their roster of all individual skaters (not alternates). With 10 minutes after the final SP/SD, the countries must commit which skaters/teams from their individual rosters will compete in the TE FS/FD, which, by definition, is the lone skater in any discipline where they've qualified one. The countries can decide up to the last minute into which disciplines (where they've qualified more than one) they will substitute one, two, or none. They can make this decision strategically based on which countries will be in the Final.

Quote Originally Posted by RFOS View Post
    Does anyone know if the entire figure skating delegation from the country gets a medal if the team medals, or is it just those skaters who actually skate one day or the other in the team event?
    Only the people who participate in the TE receive medals. There is no "bench" for the TE. The question raised earlier is whether any SD/SP participants who don't also skate the FD/FS will be awarded their medals on ice after the conclusion of the event.

vCash
    If someone gets injured after the short and they are that country's only skater in the discipline is the country then out of luck?they just lose all the points? Like if Plushenko skates SP, then gets injured and cannot skate long, will Russia just forfeit the points for the men? That really stinks bc although unlikely you basically ruin the team's chances if you get injured between SP and LP.

What if the country has 2 entrants but the country did not specify before? Like suppose Ashley was planning on skating both short and long. She gets hurt after SP. can they make a last minute subsitute for Gracie? I don't think they can, bc replacements can only be named up to Feb 5 and they may have already planned to split up two of the other disciplines. If you are the sole skater for your discipline I think you have to skate if you skated sp or you would lose the points.

If Plushenko is injured between SP and FP of team event...Russia takes a '0' in the Men's FP..not hugely damaging because Plushenko would in likelihood have been 3/4/or 5th anyway.
    Re substituting for Ashley in the above example...once they name the FP skater ( 10 minutes after the final SP discipline result)...that skater must skate the FP or they take a '0' in the FP

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    • If after 5 February 10am, when the SP/SD athletes are named any athlete named to the SP/SD cannot compete, the team gets "0" points for the discipline.
    • If after the FS/FD skaters/teams are named, and any can't compete, the team gets "0" points for the discipline.
    • If there is only one skater/team qualified for a discipline and that skater/team cannot compete the FD/FS (can't even be named), the team gets "0" points for the discipline.

If after 10 February 10am, any of the individual discipline athletes can't start/complete the SD/SP/FD/FS, the spot is gone, and fewer skaters complete the individual events.

A "0" in the Men's event could kill Russia's chance for the gold or silver and possibly drop them off the podium if another country overachieves. A "6" in the Men's event for 5th place does not; a third place in the Men's gets 8. For the medals, it's most likely down to RUS, CAN, and USA, and the only thing that matters is the relative placement between these three countries. Were two of Takahashi, Joubert, and Han to beat the USA, CAN, and RUS Men in the FS, it wouldn't impact the standings at all. It's all about skaters getting in between the teams competing for the medals and becoming spoilers, and that goes for the teams that won't make it into the finals. RUS would want Kostner, for example, to put points between Sotnikova or Lipnitskaia and the USA Ladies skater, even if she only skates the SP, and either Chinese team to put points between V/T or B/L and USA and CAN Pairs. CAN would love for C/L to beat B/S or I/K, putting room between them and RUS, or for the JPN Man to come in second to Chan and put points between CAN and RUS and USA, etc.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    • If after 5 February 10am, when the SP/SD athletes are named any athlete named to the SP/SD cannot compete, the team gets "0" points for the discipline.
    • If after the FS/FD skaters/teams are named, and any can't compete, the team gets "0" points for the discipline.
    • If there is only one skater/team qualified for a discipline and that skater/team cannot compete the FD/FS (can't even be named), the team gets "0" points for the discipline.

If after 10 February 10am, any of the individual discipline athletes can't start/complete the SD/SP/FD/FS, the spot is gone, and fewer skaters complete the individual events.

A "0" in the Men's event could kill Russia's chance for the gold or silver and possibly drop them off the podium if another country overachieves. A "6" in the Men's event for 5th place does not; a third place in the Men's gets 8. For the medals, it's most likely down to RUS, CAN, and USA, and the only thing that matters is the relative placement between these three countries. Were two of Takahashi, Joubert, and Han to beat the USA, CAN, and RUS Men in the FS, it wouldn't impact the standings at all. It's all about skaters getting in between the teams competing for the medals and becoming spoilers, and that goes for the teams that won't make it into the finals. RUS would want Kostner, for example, to put points between Sotnikova or Lipnitskaia and the USA Ladies skater, even if she only skates the SP, and either Chinese team to put points between V/T or B/L and USA and CAN Pairs. CAN would love for C/L to beat B/S or I/K, putting room between them and RUS, or for the JPN Man to come in second to Chan and put points between CAN and RUS and USA, etc.
    Thanks for this info. If that is the case, then I wonder what the other Russian teams feel about Plushenko. He has to skate both a short and a long and if he gets injured, it seems like that would kill Russia's chances to put someone in there with a known risk. Needless to say, it is a little risky to put him in, though Plushenko is such a competitor, he probably would skate as long as he could walk! Seriously, if someone was injured it would be better to go in and just skate around the rink than to withdraw. At least you would get a few points for last place instead of 0.

Of course, this can happen to anyone, but the way it is set up is that a team's hope is destroyed if one member gets injured between the long and short. Countries that have 2 entrants per discipline can deal with it better.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Seriously, if someone was injured it would be better to go in and just skate around the rink than to withdraw. At least you would get a few points for last place instead of 0.
    Yes.

Of course, this can happen to anyone, but the way it is set up is that a team's hope is destroyed if one member gets injured between the long and short. Countries that have 2 entrants per discipline can deal with it better.
    Yes, in terms of completing the TE, but not necessarily in terms of the individual events. For example, if there is one medal contender and one weaker Pair, and the Pairs individual event starts two days later, if a member of the weaker Pair is injured between the SP and FS, the medal contender might be at a disadvantage competing in the TE so closely to the individual Pairs event, especially if the Pair also skated in the SP.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234