vCash

TV director Doug Wilson's book: 'The World Was Our Stage'

I've just ordered this from Amazon, even though it was published a few months ago. The Amazon site allows a 'peek' into the Table of Contents & other selected pages; I see a huge emphasis on figure skating (incl. a chapter on Zayak), so this should be fun. Dick Button's wonderful tome now has me on a roll for skating books.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/149...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any comments on Wilson's book? Doing a quick search on FSU, I didn't see other threads about this but I may have missed them.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Got the book very recently. Haven't had a chance to read it yet, but am very much looking forward to reading it.

vCash
    Got it on Xmas Eve and just read it. Not bad but not as candid and 'gossipy' as Uncle Dickie's masterpiece, IMO. Wilson gives us, mainly, the same-old tired vignettes that anyone with a copy of 'Magic Memories on Ice' VHS already knows, such as Dorothy's tears in Munich '74...Scott's disappointment in Sarajevo '84 (here without the visuals...just described in words). There are very few heretofore-unknown tidbits of info, the best probably being the 'story' about Roz Sumners' lilac unitard at the 84 Nats practices. The 'chapter' on Zayak turned out to be 2 pages long, describing things that we can already see in our old videos or YouTube. I was hoping for more 'backstage scoop' and there is very little of that here.

Sorry but I find it incredulous to believe that Wilson had to hire another writer/researcher for this. Even more unbelievable: that it took him 5 years to write this simple series of vignettes (as per his recent interview in Manleywoman.com), written in a simple manner, with minimal analysis. Still, it's a nice book to have, especially for the younger skating fan who does not have the 'Magic Memories' video & hasn't heard-it-all before, as some of us 'oldies' have.
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 12-25-2013 at 05:41 PM.

vCash
    ABC's "Magic Memories on Ice" videos are super. I wish they were available on DVD!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    ABC's "Magic Memories on Ice" videos are super. I wish they were available on DVD!
    Indeed. Now THAT would be the perfect "gift pack": Wilson's book and the DVD of the first 'Magic Memories on Ice' video.

vCash
    Love the whole series of MMoI videos, especially the first (the history of the sport up to Calgary 1988) & the third (the 1995/96 season ).