Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Skate Science Blades

Does anyone have experience with the Skate Science blades? We are looking at moving our daughter into the Double Plus and we were just curious if anyone has first hand knowledge.

Thanks!

vCash
    I don't know a single skater who has those blades.

vCash
    I've never even heard of them. What country are you in? They are not a common blade in the United States.

vCash
    I don't know anything about them, but here's their web site.

http://www.skatescience.net

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarice View Post
    I don't know anything about them, but here's their web site.

http://www.skatescience.net
    They seem to make a great big song and dance about current blades using old technology, they've been around for 50 years, they've been designed for only double jumps blah blah blah (ignoring some of the different balde designs that have come up in the last few years), and then don't distinguish their own blade from anything else, defend the fact their blades are not lightweight and show - exactly the same design of blade that is available already.

I don't get it - they set themselves up with their blurb as if they're going to be different and then....aren't

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    I'm just skeptical of a .net address.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    The .com was probably taken and they didn't want to start creating variations on skatescience to find something available or pay a squatter for it.

I just agree with antmanb, there's a lot of talking about science but there's nothing really different, at least nothing obvious, about the product. I'm not really getting what's supposed to be so great. I'd want to hear from actual skaters doing those kinds of jumps who used the blades successfully.

vCash
    First of all, if they don't have distribution other than their own website, that means the skate shops aren't convinced that this is a good product. Are these sold by any skate shops or distributors? Anywhere?

The website also says, "Step Skates has been manufacturing the highest quality skate blades in North America for decades and is recognized as a premium quality manufacturer of these products." So. . . Has anyone ever heard of Step Skates? I sure haven't.

The website says these are stainless steel blades, unlike the "leading blades" which they say are carbon steel. Aren't the Wilson Gold Seals and Pattern 99's and MK Phantoms all stainless steel? Isn't it the new lightweight blades that are carbon?

So they reject the new innovations in blade materials, but they say they are innovating with the blade shape. How? What's different? They look the same except for the toepicks on the Triple-Quad blade. I am also a little concerned by their assertion that "Quick, easy turns are not good turns." So are these blades hard to turn on? If so, how can they be good for footwork? And how can they be good for spinning?
    Last edited by Doubletoe; 02-21-2013 at 12:32 AM.

vCash
    As you say, a great many quality blades are still stainless. I have Wilson Coronation Aces and they are stainless steel. Most of the Wilson blades are still stainless.

After a little online research - Step Skates is a Canadian company (Quebec) that clearly has been in the hockey blade business for a while. Their testimonials are all about hockey blades so I'm guessing (just guessing) that figure skating blades are not their primary business or their most established product. This is certainly the first I've heard of them and good equipment, regardless of where the manufacturer is (Graf, Edea, John Wilson, etc.), is usually well recognized in the skating community.
    Last edited by Willowway; 02-21-2013 at 12:42 AM.

vCash
    Not going to lie, as soon as their banner loaded and I saw the slogan "Only one company truly knows how figure skating actually works" I hit the exit button.

So Jackson, John Wilson, Riedell, Graf etc DON'T know how skating works?

Then I read a bit further. (Curiosity killed the cat...)

1. Never trust a company that can't even use proper grammar on their homepage.

2. Lots of work with "world class coaches and athletes" mentioned, but no actual names, testimonies, or anything like that.

3. The air of the website is that "I'm the only one ever who's used physics and science to improve skating!" I think someone needs to introduce this guy to Alexei Mishin...

vCash

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    3. The air of the website is that "I'm the only one ever who's used physics and science to improve skating!" I think someone needs to introduce this guy to Alexei Mishin...
    Mishin already "testified" for Paramount blades:
    http://www.paramountskates.com/testimonials.php

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    I'm just skeptical of a .net address.
    I'm skeptical of any company using extremely pixellated photos on their website.

Watch me move
    vCash
    I know at least one national-level competitor who did every jump up to and including triples in Coronation Aces. Admittedly one is a very small sample size, but I can't believe that the "traditional" skating blade manufacturers are as ignorant of the development of the sport as this website makes them out to be. And the blades they make are clearly not as useless as this site seems to suggest.

And to say "Most companies that supply blades to figure skating athletes have no full time employees who could be described as acutely skating knowledgeable" - really? I doubt any of them would have stayed in business that long if that were the case. Skaters are pretty demanding about their equipment, and if a company was consistently producing bad equipment, in a small specialized market, they wouldn't last long.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    This guy is honestly dreaming. You can pick up a pair of Coronation Aces for $180. He wants over $400 (at the introductory price!) for his "Doubles Plus" blades which I assume are roughly the same level.

vCash
    Hmmmm.........well lots to think about. I do know a couple of people at our rink have switched to them and love them but they are all in the dance blade. They say they are faster, twizzles are much easier and spins have picked up speed. One of our national Senior ladies switched and hated them. Much to think about

vCash
    I do know of skaters who are in these blades - Doubles Plus and Triple/Quads, and in the latter case can do all triples on them including triple Axel. I think the negativity here is unwarranted. The blades do "feel" different than others, particularly on spins, but any switch from blade to blade can be a challenging adjustment depending on how long the skater has been on the previous blade. I do think these blades give greater "pop" on the jump takeoffs. So, while I am not 100% convinced they are THE one answer to figure skating, I do know of good personal experiences with them and think they are worth a try. It is not as if the current equipment choices are without their own issues, and it is also true tech development in figure skating has been limited while the jumps/demands of the sport have definitely changed in recent years.
    On another note, Mishin applies science, yes, but it is not as if he developed the Paramount blades, so one really has little to do with the other.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sk8 View Post
    It is also true tech development in figure skating has been limited while the jumps/demands of the sport have definitely changed in recent years.
    I don't agree that it's true that "tech development has been limited". There is only so much that can be done to a blade without making it impossible to skate in, and manufacturers have made changes that have responded to the demands of the sport (e.g. different cuts on picks to help with jumping). And I haven't seen any great outcry from the skating world that blades have not kept up with the sport.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    I do think these blades give greater "pop" on the jump takeoffs.
    If that is indeed the case, we will hear about these blades sooner rather than later from elite level coaches and skaters. There is no question that any real advance in technology will be picked up by competitors among whom the slightest improvement or advantage can make a difference on podiums. No way this would be ignored if real. So we'll see...

I understand that skaters who people know do triples in these but the question is do these make a contribution to those triples or would they achieve them in any good blades with which they were happy? Not known yet. Time will definitely tell.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I don't agree that it's true that "tech development has been limited".
    OK, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine. I have had plenty of conversations over the years with skaters and coaches who lament the lack of new developments in figure skating equipment, especially compared to the "fast adapters" in many other sports. Some of these developments will pan out, in any sport, and some will not.

The question here was about experiences with the specific blades, and many of the prior posts were quite negative yet not based on any actual experience with the blades. Since I do have that direct experience, with skaters who have recently tried these blades, I am passing on that information. And, I agree with Willowway, time will tell - the skaters I am referring to did triples before using these blades and the "pop" reference is from their opinions and discussions with coaches regarding the blades.

vCash
    2sk8, I don't think most of the negativity in this thread was about the blades themselves, but more about the website. Personally, after being on that thing two seconds I would never buy these blades even if they could magically give me triples and make me a cup of tea. Badmouthing other companies? Not a good PR tactic. Claiming you're the only person to have ever used science in figure skating? Pig-headed arrogance. Making genuine factual errors about your competitors' blades (ie claiming that most of them are carbon steel and yours are stainless, when in actual fact the vast majority of blades a stainless) does not make you look good, only stupid. The basic grammatical errors put me off. And the prices...yeah, well, keep on dreaming mate.

And there are other things that concern me. The guy claims that his company knows about figure skating...and then proceeds to say "quick turns are bad turns". No, mate. Just no.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast