Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Shadow dancing
    vCash
    I'll be rfisher's partner. She can eat the scorpian. I know how to drive a stick shift car and I'm awesome with maps and directions.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I'd eat that scorpion and wave at you as I spent my million dollars.
    Could ya toss us penalty sitters a few bucks as you breeze past us to the Pit Stop at least?

vCash
    Is there a rule about how long you have to keep the scorpion down? Because for a million dollars, I'd choke the darned thing down - and then upchuck behind the closest fern.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    Here's a preview for the episode. Also according to the Wikipedia article under "development and filming," it says one of the tasks is to hunt scorpions. The preview also suggests this. Maybe they are just hunting them for the bushmen to have for their afternoon snack?

vCash
    TAR rookie mistake

"One of the limousines in Barack Obama's fleet has broken after reports that it was mistakenly filled with the wrong fuel at the start of the US president's visit to Israel.

Another limo is on its way from Jordan, according to Ma'an News agency, citing Israel's Channel 10, to replace one that was filled with diesel instead of gasolene."
    Never mess with a geocacher. We know the best places to hide a body....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    Is there a rule about how long you have to keep the scorpion down? Because for a million dollars, I'd choke the darned thing down - and then upchuck behind the closest fern.
    poor helpful local

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    ‘Amazing Race’ episode set in Hanoi sparks outrage over use of B-52 as prop, communist song

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...#ixzz2OEOXFufe
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    I can believe the outrage. I did find the B-52 stop to be unsettling. The communist song part just shows (to me) how oppressive that kind of regime is - not a bad lesson. :shrug:

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Almost 60,000 Americans lost their lives in the Vietnam War.
    Of course, no mention of how many Vietnamese.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    My problem with the B-52 monument is that most war memorials are dedicated to the -tragedy- of lost lives. This one seemed to be celebrating them.

Of course Vietnam's memorials will celebrate their success in the war. But I don't recall having seen a monument anywhere that seemed to celebrate the killing of the enemy. Most people view that as the necessary evil of winning a war, but instead mourn their own lives lost and the expense of war.

So I really thought that was an awful place to put a clue box, and to do it in a way that racers weren't even given a chance to think about what it was. A clue- stop at a location that glorified the deaths (though I think someone said the shot down pilot was captured, not killed) of Americans.

I would have much prefered to see a monument memorilizing the Vietnamese who died, or even the Vietnamese Victory, but not the American defeat.

I had no problem with the Communist song.

vCash
    I've read that of the six-member B52 crew, two were killed and the other four were held as POWs and later released.

Regarding the memorial, I would think any memorial memorializing the Vietnamese victory would have been equally criticized by Fox News. Frankly, I don't see anything wrong with using the B52 memorial. Might it be uncomfortable for Americans to see? Perhaps. But TAR has shown other nationalistic sites before and other war-related locations before. This one is different because it is related to a war the US lost and the memorial directly reflects our loss. But that was 40 years ago and we have had normalized relations with Vietnam for decades.

Moreover, to the Vietnamese the B52 reflects a victory over an invading force who carpet-bombed a civilian population, killing thousands. The US has so rarely been invaded that we may not relate to that experience. So I don't know if the Vietnamese look at the B52 and think of it as a plane with six men aboard or as something much more symbollic. I also wouldn't be surprised if there are local and state monuments around the US at one time that might have been of similar ilk, relating to battles from the Revolutionary War, French and Indian War, War of 1812, Civil War, and the Indian Wars in terms that might be viewed as celebrating victory over an enemy in ways that would be viewed as insensitive. For instance, after the war between the Dakota Souix and the new government of Minnesota, 303 Native Americans were convicted and 38 hanged. A six-foot tall marker was erected as a monument to mark the spot where the bodies were buried in shallow graves and remained until it was stolen 150 years later (a picture is here). Or how about this Spanish-American War monument in Connecticut that is made from a cannon captured from a Spanish war ship? The Iowa statehouse also has a "war trophy" cannon as a monument. Presumably, soldiers died in the battles in which those trophies were captured.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    Moreover, to the Vietnamese the B52 reflects a victory over an invading force who carpet-bombed a civilian population, killing thousands.
    This is how I saw it.

The memorial and the song were totally , but I took it in as acknowledging the difficult history between US/Vietnam in a way that didn't take over the episode.

I also wouldn't be surprised if there are local and state monuments around the US at one time that might have been of similar ilk, relating to battles from the Revolutionary War, French and Indian War, War of 1812, Civil War, and the Indian Wars in terms that might be viewed as celebrating victory over an enemy in ways that would be viewed as insensitive. For instance, after the war between the Dakota Souix and the new government of Minnesota, 303 Native Americans were convicted and 38 hanged. A six-foot tall marker was erected as a monument to mark the spot where the bodies were buried in shallow graves and remained until it was stolen 150 years later (a picture is here). Or how about this Spanish-American War monument in Connecticut that is made from a cannon captured from a Spanish war ship? The Iowa statehouse also has a "war trophy" cannon as a monument. Presumably, soldiers died in the battles in which those trophies were captured.
    ITA
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Sexy Superhero
    vCash
    Unfortunately, the B-52 in conjunction with the show made me start singing "Roam if you want to..."

vCash
    Intro to this episode was an apology to veterans. Phil read a long statement about respect for veterans. Vfw really clinched it I think. Sure its a great thing to Vietnamese but for an American show It was weird!

vCash
    Okay, enough with the Vietnam controversy. Let's race in Botswana!

vCash
    at the scorpion roadblock. at Wynonna.

vCash
    Bates and Anthony win!

And Wynona finally does a task.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Botswana is at the top of my bucket list. I want to follow Ma Ramotswe's pathway to Gaborone. And I hope they paid the San well for appearing. They are very much 2nd class citizens in their own country.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    I love the bushman. hockey bros.

vCash
    I'm loving this episode!

Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast