Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 538
  1. #81
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,124
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Wynona said something about Joey like "we got beat by Richard Simmons with the flaming short and kneehigh socks". Although Chuck was a much better sport as he high-fived Joey. (By the way, is "country bumpkin" a very offensive term from where you come from? )
    Where exactly in the world is country bumpkin not derogatory?

  2. #82

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    In the Land of Unrealistic Assumptions
    Posts
    4,600
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4187
    While "country bumpkin" isn't exactly complementary, I don't think it's much more than mildly derogatory and certainly not highly offensive. I think there's also a slight tone of affection in the term. It's certainly not as harsh as "hayseed" or "rube" or "redneck."
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

  3. #83
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    11,012
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Wynona said something about Joey like "we got beat by Richard Simmons with the flaming short and kneehigh socks". Although Chuck was a much better sport as he high-fived Joey. (By the way, is "country bumpkin" a very offensive term from where you come from? )
    Yes, calling someone a bumpkin is offensive, and you clearly meant it in a derogatory manner.

    I don't recall her saying "flaming" and didn't think the Richard Simmons comparison was derogatory, the shorts he wore the first leg ( with headband ) and the knee high socks basically was richard's typical outfit. Plus he had that extremely hyper always on personality. Due to wynnona's demographic I almost guarantee she used to do "sweating to the oldies". I really don't think it was a slur.

  4. #84

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,786
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    35722
    I don't think country bumpkin is the slightest bit offensive. Plenty of country bumpkins I know use the term to refer to themselves as fun and almost "cutesy". I'm Australian and no one I know uses the term as derogatory at all...

  5. #85
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,124
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I think by definition alone one has to accept that bumpkin can be offensive. I can see where someone might jokingly say to a friend "you are such a bumpkin" but to call a couple who fit the stereotype country bumpkins can't be a compliment

  6. #86

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    1,721
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    72
    I will admit to never watching before and only tuning in this year because of the former Carolina Hurricane making an appearance. Bates owns a bar here in Raleigh and is known as a really nice, approachable guy, so he might be able to stay in good graces with all of the teams. Except maybe the newlywed couple from He** who I already detest.

  7. #87
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    11,012
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    From thefreedictionary.com
    "An awkward, unsophisticated person; a yokel."

    I'd say that is offensive.

    Now with many 'reclaimed' terms, yes they can be used in an affectionate, joking manner among friends, and people may call themselves that- but PeterG wasn't being affectionate, he was name calling people based on their stereotype, which I find funny because he was doing that after taking offense at them stereotyping someone else!

    (I also found out from Wikipedia that Richard Simmons has never publically addressed his sexuality, so he may or may not be gay...)

  8. #88

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,786
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    35722
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcg View Post
    I think by definition alone one has to accept that bumpkin can be offensive. I can see where someone might jokingly say to a friend "you are such a bumpkin" but to call a couple who fit the stereotype country bumpkins can't be a compliment
    Isn't that up to the individual to decide? People can fit a stereotype and note it themselves and not be at all offended. I don't know anyone who would be offended by being called a country bumpkin. Even if you tell me it's an offensive term, I'm still not going to be offended by it.

    Some people don't care if/that they're awkward and unsophisticated, some embrace it and are proud of it. Others just don't give a shit what people think. I don't think the term was used in a mean manner on the show at all, but that might be because I've never heard it used meanly. I think neither team was being mean.
    Last edited by Angelskates; 02-26-2013 at 02:34 PM.

  9. #89
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Watching some crackling good television
    Age
    27
    Posts
    7,514
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I definitely didn't pick up on anything that Wynonna said as being offensive during the episode, I was so confused when I read on here that someone had an issue with something I don't find the "country bumpkin" term to be offensive at all. I'm actually dating someone who has referred to himself at that before.

  10. #90
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,124
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I´m not offended by it either, but I'm not a country bumpkin. If I were it might offend me.

    btw..I don't know if it was said on the show. I was just commenting on the comment on it in this thread. I find on Amazing Race they often have nicknames for different teams based on stereotypes and for the most part find they use them to identify the teams and aren't trying to be offensive so it doesn't really bother me.

  11. #91
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,124
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Fridge_Break View Post
    I definitely didn't pick up on anything that Wynonna said as being offensive during the episode, I was so confused when I read on here that someone had an issue with something I don't find the "country bumpkin" term to be offensive at all. I'm actually dating someone who has referred to himself at that before.
    I think Wynona was too busy trying to catch her breath the whole leg to have any time to be offensive.

  12. #92
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    At the Christmas Bizarre
    Posts
    38,154
    vCash
    250
    Rep Power
    46687
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    Isn't that up to the individual to decide? People can fit a stereotype and note it themselves and not be at all offended.
    Wouldn't that apply to what Wynnona said as well, then?
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

  13. #93
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    11,012
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Is Richard Simmons a stereotype? Or a comparision?

    She didn't call him gay, which would be a stereotype if it was based only on his clothes and manner. (If she did use the word 'flaming' then I'll take this statement back and say Wynnona was stereotyping, but I didn't hear that word.)


    (ETA: She said "we got beat by Richard Simmons in the -funky- shorts and knee high socks.")

  14. #94

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,786
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    35722
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Wouldn't that apply to what Wynnona said as well, then?
    Yes. Was anyone offended?

  15. #95
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    11,012
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    Yes. Was anyone offended?
    Clearly PeterG was based on his post here.

  16. #96
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,564
    vCash
    875
    Rep Power
    76283
    I think the people on TV shows like The Andy Griffith Show, Hee Haw and Little House on the Prairie were all country bumpkins. Since I moved out of the city and am embracing small-town living, I think I'm moving towards country bumpkin-hood. And I'm proud of that.

    As for the comparison to Richard Simmons, he's been considered a joke by many in the television industry, David Letterman being a prime example. Simmons is not held in esteem in the industry, but as a late-night talk show joke. (Well, for old people that is... ) So comparing someone to somebody who others see as a effeminate/whack-job/has-been is definitely not a compliment. (And are we to believe that anybody is working out to their 'Sweatin' To The Oldies' videocassettes anymore? )

    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    While "country bumpkin" isn't exactly complementary, I don't think it's much more than mildly derogatory and certainly not highly offensive. I think there's also a slight tone of affection in the term. It's certainly not as harsh as "hayseed" or "rube" or "redneck."
    I would say "redneck" is as much a compliment as it is an insult. My Mom and I were talking about that word the other day and she said, "do you know how people got that name"? And I said, yes, it's because they work hard all day long outside until their neck gets sunburnt. I felt that these kind of people are doing some of the hardest, most important work out there and felt somewhat confused about how it became a slur.

    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    From thefreedictionary.com
    "An awkward, unsophisticated person; a yokel."

    I'd say that is offensive...
    But some people are awkward and unsophisticated, so it's not an insult, it's just fact. Personally, I don't see the appeal of being sophisticated. I like watching my reality TV in sweat pants while I eat Wagon Wheels.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

  17. #97
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    At the Christmas Bizarre
    Posts
    38,154
    vCash
    250
    Rep Power
    46687
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    As for the comparison to Richard Simmons, he's been considered a joke by many in the television industry, David Letterman being a prime example. Simmons is not held in esteem in the industry, but as a late-night talk show joke. (Well, for old people that is... ) So comparing someone to somebody who others see as a effeminate/whack-job/has-been is definitely not a compliment. (And are we to believe that anybody is working out to their 'Sweatin' To The Oldies' videocassettes anymore? )
    Oh, so it wasn't that you considered it a gay slur, but that you were offended that she compared what's-his-name to someone David Letterman makes jokes about?

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    But some people are awkward and unsophisticated, so it's not an insult, it's just fact.
    And some people are effeminate/whack-job/has-beens, too, no?
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

  18. #98
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,564
    vCash
    875
    Rep Power
    76283
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Oh, so it wasn't that you considered it a gay slur, but that you were offended that she compared what's-his-name to someone David Letterman makes jokes about?
    No.

    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    And some people are effeminate/whack-job/has-beens, too, no?


    I've stated that the word I used (bumpkin) was not meant as a "slur" and that I'm starting to think that I'm rather bumpkin-ish. To compare someone to a person who is considered a joke in their industry is not something I can see as being anything other than a slam.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

  19. #99
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    At the Christmas Bizarre
    Posts
    38,154
    vCash
    250
    Rep Power
    46687
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I've stated that the word I used (bumpkin) was not meant as a "slur" and that I'm starting to think that I'm rather bumpkin-ish. To compare someone to a person who is considered a joke in their industry is not something I can see as being anything other than a slam.
    But you know that Wynnona meant her remarks as a slur because you know how she personally regards Richard Simmons, while Skittl should have known that you meant your insulting term with affection because of how you personally meant it.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

  20. #100
    Prick Admin
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Having a kiki
    Posts
    42,375
    vCash
    506
    Rep Power
    25256
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I would say "redneck" is as much a compliment as it is an insult.
    Really? Because I can't think of one occasion when I've heard it used where it was meant as a compliment.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •