Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    All I'm going to say is that as a Northeastern Ontarian, I am so beyond proud of what Brad and the boys did this week. So very, very proud and the way Brad conducted himself and what he said in that interview w/Linda...Such a Class Act and made me even more of a fan.

Can't even imagine the reception they'll be getting when they get back to the Soo this week. We might even be able to hear it here on the Island.

One other thing...I am so sick and tired of the harping over "experience and oh, this is their first Worlds and ooooh I'm scared...." and I'm not just talking Curling here. I'm a Leafs fan who was scared to death Luongo was headed our way in a trade for that very reason, when I think we're just fine w/Reimer in net because he is a good goalie, but young. Youngin's have to get their experience somehow, but how are they supposed to do that if they don't compete on the big stage?

So Brad and the boys had some hiccups this week, but it's also their first time at the Worlds and they're going to take what they learned this weekend and build on it. They've got the talent, now they've been to a Worlds and even w/those problems, they still came away w/a Silver Medal, but also now knowing that next time maybe they don't have to say "Yes!!" to everything that happened to them post Brier in the Soo. They said themselves that between catching up on work and dealing w/all of the stuff both the Soo Curlers Assocation *and* the city did to honour and celebrate the Brier win, they really didn't prepare all that well for this past week in Victoria.

Okay then....Lesson learned and they'll remember that for next time. And yes, I do believe there is a next time for these guys.

I also believe that Sochi is not going to be as bad as kyle might think. At least not on the Curling side of things. Not yet.

As for the rest of the World catching up...IMO, how great is that!?! I may be Canadian to the core, but I am also a *Curling* fan to the core and to see just how much the game has grown around the World in the last ten years and a bit thanks to the Olympics now being a part of the sport is fantastic!!! It means the game is growing up finally and are we always going to be at the top as the years go on? No, but I also don't think that's for...maybe a decade or so from now, but not next year.

Or at least I hope so and if I'm wrong, then I'm wrong, but for so many teams to be watching us and all of our teams and coming here for Coaching Clinics and whatnot....Then doesn't that also mean Canadian Curling's doing something right as well?

Anyway....We're not in doom and gloom territory yet. One thing I do think though is that considering all that happened this week and Brad and the team giving us a Silver Medal, to right away start crapping on the parade w/"OMG....Canadian Curling is DOOOOOOMED!!!" is a bit disrespectful IMO and could have waited at least a couple of days.

I have no problem discussing problems w/Development or what the future *might* hold in Canadian Curling, but there's a time and a place for it. Tonight's not it IMO.

Congratulations Brad and the entire Team!!! Thanks for making this Season of Championship Curling even more special to watch for those of us here in Northeastern Ontario.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    Youngin's have to get their experience somehow, but how are they supposed to do that if they don't compete on the big stage?
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    So Brad and the boys had some hiccups this week, but it's also their first time at the Worlds and they're going to take what they learned this weekend and build on it. They've got the talent, now they've been to a Worlds and even w/those problems, they still came away w/a Silver Medal
    And it took a lot of grit and focus to win the 3/4 game and the semis against two formidable teams.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    A silver medal is nothing to scoff at for this (new) young team. They handled themselves well with all the pressure of playing here at home. We definitely haven't seen the last of them yet. This is just the beginning, and now they know what to expect for the next time, and there will be a next time. Yes, perhaps Howard (I am a huge fan) could have gone the distance, but there was no quarantee of that or any other Canadian team doing any better..........As we say in skating..."Ice is slippery". Cudos to them for gaining the silver medal, and doing it graciously
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    I'm not saying a World Silver Medal is anything to scoff at, of course it's not and the only way that teams like Brad are going to get this kind of experience is if they actually aren't there. I know all of them really wanted to win that final, and it'll sting for a few days but I'm sure they'll put it into perspective that they won a World Silver Medal and that is a darn good accomplishment.

What I am saying in terms of Canada potentially being in trouble for Sochi, is that kwanfan is saying, is that Canadian Teams are the most scouted in the world as she says. All of the top teams know exactly what to expect now from our teams, they're watching back, where the strengths lay and knowing how to take the Canadian teams out of their comfort zones, they also get up to play Canada. When our teams say that the maple leaf is a target on their back, they definitely aren't kidding, all the teams are getting up to play their best against us.

It was definitely not the best season for our teams, our juniors struggled (the women especially), the adult teams had a steep learning curve, and who knows what will happen with our seniors. We have a lot of work to do heading to Sochi for sure. The best teams absolutely have the chance to be on the podium at Sochi, but there is also a chance that they could miss it, one missed shot, the wrong side of the inch and it could all be over. All we can wait and do is see who our teams are. They don't have much time to prepare, it's going to be tough, but we are going to have to give it everything we have if we want to win a medal.
    Kyle

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kylet3 View Post
    What I am saying in terms of Canada potentially being in trouble for Sochi, is that kwanfan is saying, is that Canadian Teams are the most scouted in the world as she says. All of the top teams know exactly what to expect now from our teams, they're watching back, where the strengths lay and knowing how to take the Canadian teams out of their comfort zones, they also get up to play Canada. When our teams say that the maple leaf is a target on their back, they definitely aren't kidding, all the teams are getting up to play their best against us.

It was definitely not the best season for our teams, our juniors struggled (the women especially), the adult teams had a steep learning curve, and who knows what will happen with our seniors. We have a lot of work to do heading to Sochi for sure. The best teams absolutely have the chance to be on the podium at Sochi, but there is also a chance that they could miss it, one missed shot, the wrong side of the inch and it could all be over. All we can wait and do is see who our teams are. They don't have much time to prepare, it's going to be tough, but we are going to have to give it everything we have if we want to win a medal.
    Agree in part .. not so much for Sochi but certainly moving forward. And countries with full-time curlers will eventually have a huge advantage, especially if they're able to get good coaching and curling rinks.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    With all that was said about Ryan Fry above, I wanted to share this story from the Victoria Times Colonist

Kind Canadian curler sweeps young fan and her father off their feet

vCash
    What a wonderful thing to do........cudos to mr. Fry.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alixana View Post
    With all that was said about Ryan Fry above, I wanted to share this story from the Victoria Times Colonist

Kind Canadian curler sweeps young fan and her father off their feet
    That's lovely.
    While I sometimes question Ryan Fry's on-ice comments and don't like that he second guesses Jacobs, I have no doubt he's a nice person. Classy thing for him to do.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    More Canadian curling news .. John Morris leaves Team Martin It'll be interesting to see where he ends up and who Kevin's new third will be.

vCash
    More Canadian curling news .. John Morris leaves Team Martin It'll be interesting to see where he ends up and who Kevin's new third will be.
    Yes, big news for sure. Lots of speculation about who will end up where. Apparently Nedohin has already turned down an invitation from the Martin team, preferring to step back while Heather Nedohin tries to qualify for the Olympics.

I'm just hoping that Morris doesn't end up on the Gushue team, and I'm also hoping that Gushue does not go to Martin's team. I think Brad has a team with good potential, and bringing in Morris would be a replay of the Fry situation.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Morris and Gushue together would be an explosion waiting to happen imo. Think Morris is ready for a team of his own again.

vCash
    The timing of John Morris leaving team Martin is interesting!! They sure didn't play as a team at the Brier, but I thought they'd go home and work in it to be ready for the Trials. Guess not!!

Has anyone heard who might be replacing John Morris?

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heinz View Post
    Has anyone heard who might be replacing John Morris?
    Someone said David Nedohin would be good but then I read somewhere that he's staying home while his wife's team goes for the Olympics?

Interesting to see Morris hook up with Jim Cotter in BC -- calling the game as third with Cotter throwing skip stones. Curious to see how that will play out.

vCash
    Someone said David Nedohin would be good but then I read somewhere that he's staying home while his wife's team goes for the Olympics?

Interesting to see Morris hook up with Jim Cotter in BC -- calling the game as third with Cotter throwing skip stones. Curious to see how that will play out.
    "Spending more time with his family" has already palled for Dave - he's the one! Just announced. He's like the guy on "The Vicar of Dibley"..."No, no, no, no...yes"

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave of the North View Post
    "Spending more time with his family" has already palled for Dave - he's the one! Just announced. He's like the guy on "The Vicar of Dibley"..."No, no, no, no...yes"
    Olympic trials will be fun! (Huge fan of Jim as well )

vCash
    Wow about Nedohin joining Martin's team!! I got the impression during the Ferby years that maybe these guys weren't on the best of terms. But I suppose that can all change when an opportunity like this comes along. I'll be interested to see how the dynamics of this play out. I will miss curling over the next few months, but we have a lot to look forward to in the fall winter with the trials and Sochi!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789