Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    vCash
    I'm thinking at least 7-4 will be required to at least get to the tie-breaker as Czech Republic, Denmark and Sweden are now all at 6-4, with Norway at 5-4 with still 2 games to play. Brad Jacobs will only need to beat either of Sweden or Denmark to be assured of top 2 - if Brad loses to both Sweden and Denmark and Czech Republic beat Switzerland, there will be some tie-breaker scenario required for all the teams that will end up tied at 7-4.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The top 8 teams get to Sochi, with the rest -- and other teams? -- vying for the last two spots at the qualifier. Do they have to play a tie-breaker, or if the W-L records are the same, do they go to another statistic?
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    The top 8 teams get to Sochi, with the rest -- and other teams? -- vying for the last two spots at the qualifier. Do they have to play a tie-breaker, or if the W-L records are the same, do they go to another statistic?
    They look at results from two years for Sochi qualifying.

The Olympic Curling Competition in Sochi in 2014 will be comprised of 10 teams for Men and Women.

• The top 7 Associations (excluding Russia) who have collected the most qualifying points from the World Curling Championships (WCCs) held in 2012 and 2013 will qualify.

• Any eligible Association that earned qualification points at the 2012 or 2013 WCCs, or participated at the 2011 WCCs, who do not qualify for the 2014 Olympic Winter Games as the host, or as one of the top 7 Associations, may enter the new Olympic Qualification Event (OQE) which will be run by the WCF in December 2013.

• The top two teams from the OQE also qualify their Association (National Olympic Committee) for the 2014 Olympic Winter Games.
    Points are awarded according to final ranking of the 12 participating teams in WCCs as follows: 14 – 12 – 10 – 9 – 8 – 7 – 6 – 5 – 4 – 3 – 2 – 1

* Russia as host country for the 2014 Olympic Winter Games has guaranteed qualification.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Thank you so much, Dave of the North! If only the newspaper they handed out in the arena had the complete info

ETA: If I'm following your post correctly, the following teams earned points in 2012:

CAN-14*
    SCO-12*
    SWE-10*
    NOR-9*
    NZ-8
    CHN-7*
    DEN-6*
    USA-5*
    SUI-4*
    FRA-3
    DEU-2
    CZE-1*

*Also competing in 2013 and will receive points.

The only team that competed in 2011 that hasn't also competed in 2012 and/or 2013 is KOR. FRA and DEU competed in 2011 and 2012, but not 2013, and JPN is only competing this year. (They might very well would have had to qualify at the OQE even if they won this year.)

What happens if there is a tie in qualification points in the Top 7? Are there tie-breakers, like highest placement, if still a tie, highest score, etc.?
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 04-04-2013 at 11:10 PM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Does anyone sense the wheels are starting to come off a little bit in Team Canada? Ryan Fry is turning into a real douchenozzle... Well off the ice, he is one, but he's been less obnoxious until today. I know Brad is frustrated, they're mentally fried (no pun intended) and I think are just really starting to feel it. The little things are starting to bug him and as a skip in an event this long and with this much pressure, if you that get into your head, you're done. I really hope I'm wrong, but it's just starting to feel a bit off, and not like it was at the end of the Brier and the beginning of the week when they were just making everything.
    Kyle

vCash
    This is new to them......the pressure is taking its toll unfortunately.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    I think they've had it. They're mentally exhausted and today that showed. There is no way on earth tonight that they're going to beat Sweden. I think they're horse meat for any of the teams that they play now. From first place to a tiebreaker likely against a team they've lost to... I'm calling it now, they've had it. Goose is cooked.
    Last edited by kylet3; 04-05-2013 at 01:02 AM.
    Kyle

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Voidy Finns beat Scotland, wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Way to go voidy Finns!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Voidy Finns beat Scotland, wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!
    Loving your curling voids!

vCash
    There's some talent with the Finns, if they can manage to play the European circuit more, they have the potential to do well in the future. I think Scotland have really gotten their act together, favorites to win, easily.
    Kyle

vCash

Words can not even begin to describe how disgusted I am with Team Canada at the end of that game, this isn't some high school club game, you're playing to try and get Canada a World Title and THAT is the shot you choose to try and win it or go to an extra end? First off it was absolutely impossible, secondly, you had a double (yes, it was a very thin double, Hackner like, but it was very much there) to get to the extra and take your chances there. I have absolutely NO idea what went on through their thought process, but I hope the coach starts knocking heads together tonight...

The wheels have absolutely come off this team. Granted Edin played a few great shots, made a nearly impossible angle double to force Canada, but Brad had a shot late in the game for a deuce, throws too much weight and Canada only gets one. I think that all this bloody second guessing from Fry is costing Canada, but Jacobs has got to get his act together and take his head out of his ass, because if they keep playing like this, they're going to get their heads served to them on a silver platter. Or in this case a fourth place platter.

Time to sleep in, make sure they eat properly, and turn it around tomorrow, because Jacobs is an absolute trainwreck at the moment. The magic they had at the Brier and the beginning of the week is gone, it's done and over with. They have got to hit restart and go from there, if they don't. They're looking at a fourth place finish and the first time Canada has missed the podium since 2001.

Canada isn't the best country in the world in curling anymore, clearly the rest of the world has caught up and is now starting to surpass us. That's life, but there is no way this team is winning the World Title now, if they can salvage a medal they should be happy, but this has gotten just downright embarrassing. As it stands, I don't want this team within an ocean of Sochi...
    Kyle

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    According to the World Curling Federation results webpage, this is the ranking after tonight:

Not yet ranked: Scotland, Canada, Denmark, Sweden, with Scotland playing Sweden and Canada playing Denmark
    5-NOR
    6-CHN
    7-SUI
    8-CZE
    9-USA
    10-RUS
    11-JPN
    12-FIN

How do they break the W-L ties?

These are the qualifying points I see for 2012 and 2013, and 2011 for KOR, which didn't compete in 2012 or 2013:

Country 2011 2012 2013 Total
    CAN - 14 (1) 9-14 23-28
    SCO - 12 (2) 9-14 21-26
    SWE - 10 (3) 9-14 19-24

NOR - 9 (4) 8 (5) 17
    NZL - 8 (5) - 8
    CHN - 7 (6) 7 (6) 14
    DEN - 6 (7) 9-14 15-20
    USA - 5 (8) 4 (9) 9
    SUI - 4 (9) 6 (7) 10
    FRA - 3 (10) - 3
    DEU - 2 (11) - 2
    CZE - 1 (12) 5 (8) 6
    RUS - - 3 (10) 3
    JPN - - 2 (11) 2
    FIN - - 1 (12) 1
    KOR 2 (11) - - 2

If I've calculated this correctly,
    • RUS gets an automatic host entry.
    • CAN, SCO, SWE, and DEN will qualify for Sochi no matter how they place. (Do they even have to finish to get points?)
    • NOR, CHN, and SUI will be the last three qualifiers who don't have to compete in the OQC.
    • USA, NZ, CZE, FRA, DEU, JPN, KOR, and FIN can participate in the OQC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kylet3 View Post
    I think they've had it. They're mentally exhausted and today that showed. There is no way on earth tonight that they're going to beat Sweden. I think they're horse meat for any of the teams that they play now. From first place to a tiebreaker likely against a team they've lost to... I'm calling it now, they've had it. Goose is cooked.
    Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. I wish they could have had the appropriate support from coaching, etc. It seems they didn't use a coach until now, and Mr. Lange just isn't a factor here........just sitting on the bench. It's a very hard lesson for these guys, and I hope they get another chance to reach Worlds someday. What a disappointment all the way around.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Seems to me that Team Jacobs have developed their physical game, but may have neglected their mental game. When things go wrong in a game, they seem to have no plan i.e. support from coach, support from within the team on the ice. I think they need to learn how to communicate better and have a plan for when one or more members of the team are struggling.

vCash
    Team Jacobs managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. They were so good in the first portion of the round robin, it is hard to understand their collapse. I think heinz is right about lack of support. It was a hard thing to watch their confusion.

vCash
    Interesting comment from Brad Jacobs after the Denmark loss, something along the lines of not knowing where the other teams at the World Championships were in the World Rankings....

5. Niklas Edin - SWE (7-4, 2nd in RR)
    8. Brad Jacobs - CAN (7-4, 4th in RR)
    10. Thomas Ulsrud - NOR (6-5, 5th in RR)
    12. Sven Michel - SUI (6-5, 7th in RR)
    14. Tom Brewster - SCO (8-3, 1st in RR with David Murdoch as skip)
    18. Rasmus Stjerne - DEN (7-4, 3rd in RR)
    22. Rui Liu - CHN (6-5, 6th in RR)
    30. Jiri Snitil - CZE (6-5, 8th in RR)

Interestingly, the top 8 ranked teams were the same 8 teams who finished with winning records in Round Robin.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    It was tight at the end, but Edin did it. Silver is the worst he can do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperBoy View Post
    Team Jacobs managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. They were so good in the first portion of the round robin, it is hard to understand their collapse. I think heinz is right about lack of support. It was a hard thing to watch their confusion.
    I agree. I am trying to shut myself off from watching them loose again in the 3/4 game. They are going to lose that one too I think. It's like watching a someone skate brilliantly in the short, only to crash in the long............except in this game there's some warning lol. I hope I'm wrong.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Today's plan should be : gag Ryan Fry.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast