Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

vCash
    Wow, Brad Jacobs and team are just ridonculous. The shots and the angles that they are making for a team this YOUNG is just sickening... and they haven't even reached their full plateau yet. I think Ryan Fry is just now starting to play to his potential. He spent all those years with Brad Gushue and I think may have been held back a bit. I think he's found his niche with this team. He's just making absolutely everything right now. Of course it helps that EJ Harnden is making angle runback doubles and triples and making them look easy.

If they keep this up, they won't be caught. The team who is surprising me is Sweden, Niklas has escape with a lot of wins yes, but I noticed today he's off, throwing peel up weight for simple takeouts that only require hack-to board type weight, he has got to calm down otherwise he will be cannon fodder for Jacobs and team.
    Kyle

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    In the rink, from where I was sitting, it was much easier to see the angles on the TSN coverage on the jumbotron. Jacobs and group were spectacular.

Edin must be going through some Strinbergian angst out there: he's all over the place.

China's been really impressive: they've had all kinds of games, and they seem to be keeping their cool.

They've been giving out a daily paper with info and stats about the players and the games from the day before. Fry's % was 96%. (Russian Lead Petr Dron's was 100% against CZE.)

The explanation for why Kauste and Co. are playing when they came in third at this year's nationals is that last year's nationals determine who will compete at Euros and Worlds, and they were first last year. It also gives them the spot in the Olympic curling version of Nebelhorn: two slots (20%) of the field will be chosen in an Olympic qualifier, instead of their most current best team. The top eight at Worlds' country will be qualified automatically. (They must have a system for breaking ties.) I still don't get the feeling that Kauste is the leader, unless he murmurs something to third Sullanmaa and Sullanmaa is his field captain. I just get energy from Sullanmaa that I don't get from Kauste. The coach is Oona Kauste: she must be sister, wife, or cousin, because if she's his mother, she's more a miracle of nature than the Helgessen's mother. I just saw that Lead Pitko's occupation is "Professional poker player," which may explain everything.

I thought that the Italian team got an automatic bye at 2005 Worlds and at the Olympics, and there was nothing in the article that said anything about Russia getting a spot. If the host is guaranteed one, does that mean only one spot is available at the Olympic qualifier if Russia is not one of the Top 8 teams in Victoria? Or would they go to the qualifier, and if they're not top 2, there's no Russian team in Sochi?

The Czech team has a complicated qualification system, too. There's a double round robin and playoffs, and the finals are next week. Snitil and his team have to go home to earn a spot for next year, with the best of three taking it. Jiri Snitil was quoted as saying that it was hard for his team to qualify last year for this year's championships against David Sik's team.

I'm not sure the writer was amused or appalled that Ulsrud's rink qualified by bringing in Scotsman Ewan MacDonald to play for him. Also, the alternate Hoiberg, who has played, is the skip of the guy Ulsrud's team beat for the spot, and the regular alternate, Lovold, is now playing because Nergaard's wife is having a baby.

The young Czech Bares played in all games through this morning; the four of Vydra, Kitzberger, Snitil, Snitil played against Sweden. The Russians really moved it around today: they brought in alternate Anton Kalalb as lead, resting Petr Dron, and then skip Drozdov threw second. I can't remember if regular second Tselousov threw last or if he moved to third and Stukalskiy threw last, but they didn't just do a 1:1 swap.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    The Czechs beat Canada , that is a bigger upset than when the Italian women beat Canada last year. Wow. But, I have to hand it to Jiri Snitil, he curled in the 90% range and Brad didn't play well, so the Czech Republic deserves this win. Canada still has another game tonight and it's a tough one against Ulsrud. I think now that teams will see Canada is beatable and Norway is no slouch, so I expect Jacobs to be in tough again tonight.
    Kyle

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Scotland, Sweden, and Norway should be taking out the Czechs for
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Here's hoping Brad the the boyz bounce back tonight...they've done it before not too long ago . Brad admitted they (he) had a bad game.......it happens to the best of them.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Bounce back they did, there were a couple of stupid mistakes against Norway (IE that heavy draw) but they were again solid tonight and it was good to win especially with the USA upsetting Scotland so back into first place! Relatively easy day, should beat Japan and Russia without too many problems
    Kyle

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kylet3 View Post
    Relatively easy day, should beat Japan and Russia without too many problems
    Ssssshhhh, not so loud.

vCash
    Yeah some more stupid mistakes against Japan... They're a talented team, I played against them back in my junior days, they walloped us 10-3, but I'm surprised they haven't done better, they need to be over here more, but with time and costs, it's extremely difficult.
    Kyle

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Japan just scored 3 in the 7th against Canada. Not sure I'll watch the PVR when I get home.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Canada just got two back in the 8th.

vCash
    ugh. Credit to Japan, skipper played lights out, but there was really no excuse for them losing that game. They played two stupid ends and it cost them, I'm not sure what's going on, but they've had more than one brain fart this week, I think that's inexperience at this level even with them winning the Brier. Not much of a rest now. They have GOT to get it back together because they face two of the best teams this week tomorrow. Time to put it out of sight and get it back together and show us what we were seeing at the beginning of the week!
    Kyle

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Kudos to Japan: they are a very impressive team. I loved watching them earlier in the week, before I had to get back: their style of play is very elegant.

vCash
    Relatively easy day, should beat Japan and Russia without too many problems
    I don't want to point any fingers, but.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Habs View Post
    I don't want to point any fingers, but.....
    You think the curling gods and skate gods converse?
    Kyle

vCash
    It was agony watching the last 4 ends of the Canada-Japan game. Japan deserved that win. I just hope the Canadians can pull themselves together before they hit the finals.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    You think the curling gods and skate gods converse?
    I think they're one and the same -- they just change into Norwegian team type pants during curling events.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alixana View Post
    I think they're one and the same -- they just change into Norwegian team type pants during curling events.
    Kyle

vCash
    A great game vs. Russia........and another win........hope they enjoy their rest now and get that mojo back for the rest of the week.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Obviously I put my foot in my mouth this morning assuming they'd beat Japan. It was a hell of a tight finish against the Russians, the numbers tell a different story, but they made some nice shots in that game, and really kept things close. It felt like a tight battle the entire way through. It doesn't get any easier tomorrow, but now they can get some sleep, not playing till the afternoon should help them. If they win out, they get first place which is a huge advantage. I take nothing for granted. Stejrne (spelling) is a tenacious little youknowwhat and will not give up until the last stone is thrown. Never say die. Everyone knows about Edin's talent, he's still a bit off this week, but he can make runback triples and quad take-outs in his sleep so who knows what will happen. They win and they're in. Hopefully they'll be up for it!
    Kyle

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Stjerne brings the pretty, and I hope the cameramen agree.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast