Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

vCash
    The girls have got on a bit of a roll now and are starting to figure things out and I think now are finally settled. Of course of all the three I would like them to play Switzerland out of the breakers in the 3 vs 4, but I think it'll likely be the US or Russia that they have to face. Scotland and Sweden have showed that they have been the class of the week. with Homan as a very solid third place. I believe Sweden is playing the best and the favorite to win the event, but with Homan on her streak and playing very well, she will be very difficult to beat. Will be an interesting weekend!
    Kyle

vCash

Oh boy... Homan had that game in her back pocket, tie game with hammer and played it open only for Muirhead to steal it at the last minute. I don't think she had enough ice for the last double, take an inch or two more and that likely doesn't jam. To lose like that is going to devastate Rachel. I don't know how they rebound after that. But they have to, losing to the USA for bronze would NOT be good. Ugh, that sucks.
    Kyle

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Did you see Rachel's face? She was so angry at herself. I hope they rebound for tomorrow's bronze medal game but either way, it's an amazing learning experience. And Eve Muirhead's team is human after all . They made some silly mistakes.

vCash
    She needed an inch more ice......what a heartbreak for Rachel and team. A very valuable lesson for sure. There will be other years and other chances with this brilliant young team. The better bring it tomorrow for the bronze game......Wishing them good luck.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash

I have to hand it to Rachel, she really was able to park a devastating loss and rebound nicely in that bronze medal game. I do attribute that to Earle Morris who is a very calming influence, and probably was able to talk with them and park that and come back. I do think that the scorers were kinda B/S today. Jessica Schulz at 89%? Emma Miskew at 83%? Maybe 10 points less if they were lucky, both had a lot of misses in that game. I was expecting Erika to come out guns blazing and really take it to Rachel, but that just didn't happen. Rachel was calm, and played the quiet game absolutely brilliantly. I'm sure it's still going to sting not being that final, but Rachel has had a great season, winning the Scotties and a couple of big WCT events and still have the Players Championship to go, a World Bronze Medal and a likely spot in the Olympic Trials. They have a lot to build on and look forward to.
    Kyle

vCash
    Poor Margaretha Sigfridsson, she has to be wondering what she has to do in order to win a world title. This is the fourth final that she has lost. I didn't see the whole game but it looks like a missed double for 4 and instead giving up a steal of two is what did it. Gotta hand it to Muirhead though, only 23 and 4 time World Junior Champion, European Champion and now World Champion. I have to think that this sets her up as nearly a prohibitive favorite for Sochi 2014, I know a number of teams are contenders, but I think this may be the beginning of a dynasty for Muirhead. She's young and has the potential to dominate this game for a generation. Muirhead is a great curler but she strikes me as an absolute spoiled arrogant princess, now winning this young isn't going to help that. I think the Swedish Federation has an interesting conundrum on its hands. Yes Sigfridsson has been runner up the last two times but Norberg won it in 2011, they may feel she has more experience on her hands and go with her team. I at least hope there is some kind of a trials process to determine who goes to Sochi. Just now finding out that Sigfridsson actually LOST the Swedish Final to Norberg but still was sent to Worlds... I'm wondering if they may be regretting that now...

The focus now turns to the Canadian Olympic Trials and who will be selected as the rep for Canada in Sochi. Will be an interesting next season!
    Kyle

vCash
    Here's hope Team Homan make it to the Olympics. If anyone can beat Muirhead, it's her team I truly believe.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    It is hard to say what the Swedish curling assocation and the great Peja Lindholm who picks the teams is thinking now. On one sense it is hard to be upset with Sigfridsson/Prytz and their team, it is another strong showing at a major event. On the other hand they again fail to win a final of an event they dominated. Atleast Maria Prytz didnt throw in the 60s like she often does in big games after throwing in the 90s much of the week, but she still missed numerous critical shots at the worst times. Their justification for sending Team Sigfridsson/Prytz over Team Norberg the last 2 seasons was their strong showing on the tour and other events in Europe through the season. However Peja himself should know that Champions like Anette know how to big event, and their standings on tour and their season really dont factor much into that. Team Sigfridsson/Prytz could have almost guaranteed themselves going to Sochi had they won, but now it will be a tough choice.

vCash
    And a big congrats to Team Canada (Brad Jacobs et al.) for their 1st win against China..........Wow!!! Keep it up boys
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    They're not nervous which is a good sign, They played well, man did Sweden escape with their lives against Finland! Canada can't take them lightly in the morning, that's for sure!
    Kyle

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The Finnish team lost some steam in the middle, and I didn't feel a lot of direction happening from Kauste. It was easy to see the momentum shift.

The game between SWE and RUS was much tighter, and, again, Edin just scraped through on a missed last shot from skip Drozdov. I say missed, but I'm sitting in the middle without the best view of a far sheet, and it's possible that it was an impossible situation in which to score. Talk about a nail-biter, though.

CHN whipped CZE: they steamed ahead with a 5, which I missed, because I was watching the Japanese team against Scotland. What a contrast in styles: the Japanese were mostly finesse, while Scotland was throwing a lot of weight around. I thought SCO would dominate, but JPN made it close.

Tomorrow, I'm going to grab a seat on the ends. There were lots of empty seats today all around the arena. It was in there. If anyone is planning to come for round-robin, especially this weekend or early in the week, bring a lap blanket and gloves

I'm no teknik, but these are my observations:

Except for the Chinese skip, Rui Liu -- a rock of a skip -- I'm not sure the Chinese and Japanese teams are old enough to drink. The Japanese team had so much product in their hair, they made Takahashi's use of it look conservative. The Japanese men almost never yelled. Thomas Ulsrud made up for it by screaming more than all of the other teams combined. He was, predictably, tan.

I'm not so sure the cutie CZE alternate Jakub Bares, is legal, either. They had him play with the Snitil's and Kitzberger in the afternoon and Vydra, who looks like a college professor, in the evening. I hope he gets to play more over the next two days.

The Danes also look very young from across the arena, but mid-twenties-young, not need-fake-ID-for-the-bar young. The Finnish team is 3-for-4 hair (head and facial) voidy; the fourth looks like the token yuppie. First Janne Pitko has the most amazing smile. Is it a rule that the Finnish skip has to be a giant?

The Canadian team looks like it spends a lot of time in the gym, looking at their upper bodies, but Fry is really annoying throwing things around. Brad Jacobs has lovely eyes. The Russian team has a giant first, Petr Dron, and he's usually waiting around with second Alexey Tselousov, who barely comes to his shoulder. Whenever Tselousov talks to Dron, it looks like he's using Dron's upper arm as a microphone. They make a good team, though: they almost nest when they're sweeping. The skip, Drozdov, looks like Yagudin in profile. They almost took Edin out tonight, and they look serious about Sochi.

I spent the afternoon watching the , , , Swedes against the , , , yuppie Finns, because why give up an opportunity to be superficial?
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 03-31-2013 at 03:39 PM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I just got a look at the program with the team listings and short bios, and I am wrong about all of their ages. As a whole, curlers are not photogenic: almost all of them look 100 times better in real life, except the CZE team which did an almost Broadway pose in theirs and used up their entire yearly smile and charisma quota in the effort.

The Chinese men who look so jail-baity? 28, 22, and 25 (Zang, the Harry Potter lookalike). The cute Czech? 25. The Japanese team: 28, 28, 25, 24. The Canadians and Americans look 5-10 years older than they actually are, which is understandable for Philip Tilker, because being a developer at amazon.com will do that to you. I didn't realize the US team was from Seattle, which is just a hop, skip, and a Victoria Clipper ride away from Victoria, which might account for the number of US fans in the audience last night. I also thought Edin was older, because I was calculating how he would be when he was 50, only to realize I'd be 150 by then, and now it looks like I'll be 160 by then.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    I see what you mean about the Finns. Not usually a fan of ponytails on guys but I could be convinced.

vCash
    Finns - that guys hair is down to his waist. I bet he never has to wear a hat in the winter time.

Interesting game so far.

vCash
    Finns came out on fire this morning but glad to see Jacobs and co pulled themselves together. Good game.

In other news, I thought I couldn't love Ulsrud and his funky pants more than I already did.

vCash
    Ulsrud is also playing with some kind of infection under one his teeth in the gums, sounds like an abscess

Jacobs and team were a bit fortunate to come out of that one alive. They definitely had a brain fart for two ends where they gave up a 4 and then were forced, but good for him for getting thins a bit more figured out. I think the Finns just don't play enough and have enough consistency, if they get out there a bit more, then they have potential.

Brad has to step it up a bit more otherwise Scotland will pounce on any mistakes they may make. I expect tonight to be a barnburner!
    Kyle

vCash
    The Finns had 2 lucky shots that were not called but benefitted them immensely in that (4 ender). So happy that Team Canada didn't get rattled about it but showedd some patience and came back sure and steady. Good game to watch on TV with the commentary. Love how buff those guys are.......shoulders, arms, etc . Have to tape the one tonight as it starts at 10 pm........I hate falling asleep during a game
    Addicted to FSU

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The voidy Finns are trying to kill me: they called it quits way to early tonight, not because they were out of it, but because they were eight rows away from me on Sheet A, argh! No fair

According to a newspaper supplement about the championships that they were giving out in the arena, "Aku Kauste and his boys finished third during their national qualifying marathon but here they are, by some quirk of fate. Where's Markku Uusipaavalniemi? He finished fourth." That would explain why they don't have a lot of mileage. I can't believe the stamina and concentration these guys have, and the Finns tend to sag in the middle. Against Denmark, they didn't even come out strong or with a big end to take the lead, like in their first two games.

The supplement also noted that Rui Liu and the Chinese team have been playing internationally and won at Grand Prairie recently, and that Edin and the Swedes "[w]on the Bear Mountain cash scrap last weekend, knocking off Martin, Stoughton and McEwen, in that sudden-death order."

Too bad about Ulsrud's tooth. There are really good dentists in Victoria.

The Norwegians are alternating between the pants that look like the Norwegian flag and another pair that are almost like thin bricks of alternating color, except the edges are like lightening bolts. It takes cajones to have a stylized lightening bolt across your crotch.

Even though I was watching the Finns and the Danes, the crows was in the CAN vs. SCO game, and the TSN coverage was shown (without sound) in the arena. CAN looked confident and focused. Almost the entire section filled with SCO fans, who've been singing and cheering at each game, disappeared as soon as that game was over. The NOR vs. JPN was in the farthest sheet from me, and when they were the only ones left playing, I could finally see them. Earlier today, team JPN started throwing a lot more weight, but even so, they looked so elegant with their throws. What I'm most impressed with is how patient they seem.

I don't know if they showed this on TV, but the teams that are playing for the day march around the rink in a circuit before taking their places at the starting end, except for one team that's at mid-ice. The announcer introduces the coach, alternate, and then lead through skip. There was some contest for young curlers, and two winners were paired with each team, to get photos with the team and team swag and to talk to the players. They introduced the kids, and then they played the national anthem of the country. I think they're using the really great arrangements that the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra recorded for the Olympics, but the arena sound system is pretty crappy or the sound engineers have done a crappy job with the levels. I've seen Japan, China, the US, and Finland. I missed this morning because I was lagging

Both the Swedish skip Kauste and the second Jaames have waist-length hair, if you count the dreadlocks. Jaames has been creating different dos for each shirt. I still like the lead guy, Pitko, with the killer smile. The CZE guys, particularly the Snitils usually look so serious, but they caught one of the brothers on camera kind of smiling.

vCash
    Wow, just wow for Team Canada. That is such a significant win against Scotland.........and a decisive one too. Top of the leaderboard for now . I hope they can hang in there for a medal......any color.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Well so much for that being a barnburner... I didn't realize the Scots were in on a 5 player rotation system.. I've never liked that idea at all, and while sometimes it works, more often than not it doesn't and Murdoch proved that last night. I think they need to sit Murdoch and go back to the original 4, these guys have been runners up in the world for the last two years, and now with the Scottish Curling Fed trying to insert Murdoch in the team, it's like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, it just doesn't work. Murdoch is a fabulous player, but it takes time for a team to form chemistry, learn what the other is all about, learn releases, etc. Brewster and the crew from 2011 and 2012 had been together for a while, If they're smart, I think they should sit Murdoch and let the original foursome curl a few games together, and watch the percentages rise.

Sweden and Norway aren't convincing me just yet, I thought Edin would be 3-0 right now, but losing to China, they just may surprise some teams.
    Kyle

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast