Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

vCash
    Whoo-hoo, much better game from Team Jacobs today. They had a couple of huh? moments but kept Denmark on the run most of the game. Hard to say what will happen tonight - which Scotland will show up? Which Canada will show up?

ETA - great so far. Canada has been patient, and now got their deuce.
    Last edited by Dave of the North; 04-07-2013 at 01:13 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave of the North View Post
    Whoo-hoo, much better game from Team Jacobs today. They had a couple of huh? moments but kept Denmark on the run most of the game. Hard to say what will happen tonight - which Scotland will show up? Which Canada will show up?

ETA - great so far. Canada has been patient, and now got their deuce.
    ETA2 - beauty for 3! Men on a mission...

ETA3 - dodged a few bullets in 7...

ETA4 - and 8... see previous comment about gagging Fry

ETA5 -
    Last edited by Dave of the North; 04-07-2013 at 02:39 AM.

vCash
    Actually, it worked out better in the 7th end than anticipated........tough triple missed = steal of 1..........yehhh!!!!. The guys are back. Hoping they can keep it up tomorrow.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Well I'll be damned... The day off and the time at the spa for the boys worked. They had their two best games today for sure. All in the 90% range they are on a roll, but Niklas Edin and the boys tomorrow are going to be extremely tough. I kept yelling at my TV in the 8th end tonight for Ryan Fry to shut his mouth, and it nearly cost them. David's throw way overcurled and they got out of it with the steal. Canada is without a doubt on a roll and will be confident heading into tomorrow. I still think Sweden starts the favorite tomorrow. All the pressure will be on Canada with crowd and the insane hitting ability of Sweden. Either way, it's a good result for both teams.

I think Soren Gran made a HUGE mistake benching Tom Brewster. This was his team the last two years, and yes, he did struggle mightily in that 1-2 game but it was him who skipped this team the last two years to the world final, and nearly won it last year. Now, there is a very possibility that Scotland walks away without any kind of a medal, which I believe since the bronze medal game was added within the page playoff system, would be the first time a team at the World Championships has been in the 1-2 game and not won a medal. Denmark are no push-over either. Rasmus and his team are very talented and pushed Canada to the last stone today, they're going to want to go out there and win the first medal in 23 years, so Murdoch and his team are going to have to give it everything. Quite frankly, I'd be benching Murdoch and starting Brewster at skip tomorrow.
    Kyle

vCash
    My sentiments exactly. I'll be damned! But if Jacobs listens to Fry tomorrow there will be trouble. I saw at the end of the game that EJ (who is brilliant) spoke to Jacobs about making his calls. Then he turned to Fry, but the camera panned away. I suspect the gag order is on!

vCash
    I think for the most part in the Denmark game, Fry kept his yap closed, but later in the game today he started to flap his gums and it almost cost them. I think you're exactly right, they need to sit him down and tell him to shut it and let Brad make his calls. They are certainly capable of winning this sucker, but I think Edin's experience is going to help carry him through.
    Kyle

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperBoy View Post
    My sentiments exactly. I'll be damned! But if Jacobs listens to Fry tomorrow there will be trouble. I saw at the end of the game that EJ (who is brilliant) spoke to Jacobs about making his calls. Then he turned to Fry, but the camera panned away. I suspect the gag order is on!
    hubby and I saw this too and I even rewinded the PVR to see it again to believe what I was seeing. LOL. It was after the 9th end I believe and it needed to be said as it sure looked like Brad had 2 shots on his brain when he threw the rock and it turned out that neither option was made. I wish we could've see what was said to Fry.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    EJ Harnden has been super impressive all week, and never more so than with this comment to Brad. "Just stay with your call". (If my lipreading was correct.)

And I'm with those who can't believe the Scots sat Brewster. Murdoch is a great player but he's not as familiar with these guys as Brewster .. he needs B out there with him.
    ETA: Still think they should've let the Brewster rink play and not brought Murdoch in.
    Last edited by Alixana; 04-07-2013 at 02:53 PM. Reason: grammar

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alixana View Post
    EJ Harnden has been super impressive all week, and never more so than with this comment to Brad. "Just stay with your call". (If my lipreading was correct.)

And I'm with those who can't believe the Scots sat Brewster. Murdoch is a great player but he's not as familiar with these guys as Brewster .. he needs B out there with him.
    ETA: Still think they should've let the Brewster rink play and not brought Murdoch in.
    ITA.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    I actually heard it and EJ did tell Brad *exactly* what you said he did Alixana. Needed to be said too, because as everyone's said, when Ryan starts talking to Brad about his shots *after* Brad's put the broom down, is when they get into trouble.

I still can't believe that spa day idea worked!! I mean...Really? Just Wow!!

I also think Brewster needs to be skipping today, but we'll see if the Scots coaching staff agrees w/us.

Sweden's going to be tough, but boy oh boy had this got the potential to be one heck of a game tonight!!!

vCash
    Scotland got the Bronze. Brewster had lots of input in the game. Denmark fought hard, but made some fatal errors.

Did I hear wrong, or was the Danish rink's coach Scottish?

vCash
    Scotland got the Bronze. Brewster had lots of input in the game. Denmark fought hard, but made some fatal errors.

Did I hear wrong, or was the Danish rink's coach Scottish?
    No, you didn't hear wrong, James Dryburgh is originally from Scotland but now lives in Sweden.

vCash
    Ugh, Brad, why didn't you go for the outturn tap in two? it was there for three, instead of throwing a bullet (which didn't need more than normal) and only getting one. I think Sweden is going to trounce Canada.
    Kyle

vCash
    Sweden looks very sharp so far

vCash
    Sweden is looking awesome thus far. We already need the damn gag for Fry. Had a chance to do a pretty good runback, and instead a risky draw and contradicts Brad again. That's what's going to cost Canada their fourth straight world title.
    Kyle

vCash
    Who was the idiot yelling while Brad was throwing?

Got that last shot started, 6-3 Sweden playing 7, game is done. Sweden are your World Champions, no way Canada is coming back.
    Kyle

vCash
    Yep, I knew it, Sweden certainly earned it tonight, they were the better team, Brad just came out and fell flat, I think all of their intensity and emotion was probably spent on getting through yesterday and they just couldn't keep up with what was the superior team tonight. So kudos to Sweden.

Canada has to face it, we aren't the best curling country in the world anymore, we've been met and surpassed. Not only do I predict that Canada will not win a gold medal in either men's or women's teams but that one or both may not make the podium. Even though we have the most curlers by far on the planet, it doesn't always mean we are going to be successful. International teams have figured out how to beat us and are routinely doing it. I think Sochi is going to a very dark chapter and turning point in Canadian Curling history.

Congrats to Niklas Edin and Sweden, this has certainly been a very long time coming and they deserved it!
    Kyle

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    It's not that easy being a fan of Edin and the Swedes, but congratulations to them, wheeeeeeeeeee!! I was hoping the Danes would get the bronze, but I hope they just get better and better.

Canada played very hard to win two big ones in a row, and it was a hard way to get experience, but all of the other handful of great curling nations have had generational turnover and had to rebuild themselves with new players who had to learn by being there. The international teams are improving at a clip, but one of the ways Sweden got to the top and China improved was by playing in Canada. At the same time that they improve, they also become better known -- the TSN commentators called Canadian teams "the most scouted teams in the world" -- and the Canadians will be able to gauge their strategies and strengths/weakness over different conditions and situations, no?
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    I think part of the thing is these other countries when they do have the generational turnover and when they rebuild, they go with one single team (IE Lindholm retires now it's Edin, once Rhona Martin retired now it's been all Eve Muirhead, etc.) and then that single team comes over to Canada, and plays all the top Canadian teams and then knows what to expect from them and then they know how to play them.

Canada having so many good teams is both a blessing and a curse, as opposed to another country that sends the same teams year after year, we know what teams to expect from these countries, with Canada, you don't know who is coming, it could be an inexperienced team like we got with Jacobs who don't know how to handle this type of pressure or it could be the Stoughton, Howard, Martin teams of the world. We just don't know, and it puts us at a disadvantage.

I think Canada is in real trouble heading into Sochi.
    Kyle

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    According to the TSN people, Canadian teams are highly scouted, and international teams really have to scout only four-six teams. If, for example, the Finnish team and the Japanese team aren't playing much in North America (or playing much at all internationally), they can be a threat by not being known, and I think their records in this year's Worlds understate the trouble they caused. It's like the new guy who comes up from the minors and has a major hitting streak, until the pitchers collectively figure him out. Jacobs might not be as well known, although to the Swedes and Chinese, not as elusive, since they were playing here, but I saw Northern Ontario in lists of teams who were expected to vie for the Brier title. There was footage of the team for the other teams to analyze.

Other nations do go with one single team, but when a (substantially) new team takes over, they become the unknown, and they need to gain experience in clutch situations. When a Canadian team is new, young, and inexperienced, it seems to me that they're in the same boat, even if they had a great tournament (Brier or Olympic Trials) to beat established teams/players, and are, on the whole, at a higher level that almost any other new international team. It took Edin four WC's to win his first title; why the young Jacobs and tribe in their first should be expected to play that much better than they did is hard for me to fathom. Even so, in the past 15 years or so, it was 50% more likely that the Canadian team was an experienced, rather than a new team.

I wouldn't call what Canada is heading into trouble: other teams are catching up. It's more likely that an experienced team will withstand the pressures and be the Canadian team, although, maybe with this experience, Jacobs' team is one of them. However, being a tournament, you could have a new/young/inexperienced team win. They can't just tweak with the PCS to pick the team they want.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 04-08-2013 at 05:51 PM.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast