Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kylet3 View Post
    Barring a miracle, I think the playoff teams will be Ontario, Newfoundland, Northern Ontario and Manitoba I think Alberta is pretty much eliminated unfortunately. Manitoba plays BC and Northern Ontario plays Nova Scotia. I highly doubt MB or NO lose to NS or BC.
    I agree, though both MB and NO have looked inconsistent. I was wondering how they decide second if there is a 3 way tie:

"And should Newfoundland/Labrador, Manitoba and Northern Ontario all finish with 8-3 records, they will be ranked based on their pre-game draw to the button cumulative distances, which won’t be finalized until shortly after tonight’s games begin. All three teams finished 1-1 in head-to-head games, which is the first tiebreaker."

I've noticed Brad Gushue seems more relaxed this year - not getting uptight when things go sideways. of course, they haven't gone sideways very often this week.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    That was one heck of an interesting end to the Round Robin tonight. Fun to watch too.

WTG Northern Ontario!!! Go get em in the Playoffs Boys!!

vCash
    I wonder if any team has won their last 6 games at a Brier or Scotties and still not made the playoffs before, not even a tiebreaker.

vCash
    Stoughton the last 2 days has been so bad. He hasnt been great at any stage of the Brier for that matter, but has ended the RR in really poor form and almost inexplicably even fell way backwards into a tiebreaker despite ending with an easy schedule. If he doesnt improve his play Howard is going to crush him in the 1-2 game.

vCash
    I feel bad for the fans and the organizing committee who were likely counting on Martin making the playoffs, but I certainly don't feel bad for them personally. They've won everything there is to win in the sport. Martin is done regardless after this season. He won't be doing seniors. He wants to be on the links in Palm Springs. As I said, I think this is the team basically focusing on the Olympic Trials, but coming to the end of their partnership. I wouldn't be one bit surprised to see Johnny Mo head back east to Ontario after this season.

Even with the loss last night, Glenn Howard remains the favorite. He's calm, consistent and they're the best team easily this week. Everyone else is going to have to raise their game 3 levels and Howard has to drop his, but I just don't see it happening.
    Kyle

vCash
    First a belated congratulations to the Rachel Homan team. May you curl as strongly at Worlds. Happy for Kelly Scott to win the Bronze as you could see it really meant something to them and that certainly doesn't always happen. I like Heather Nedohin too but she is just so wound up all the time it can hurt to watch her - also I thought that last year she had so many lucky breaks to win her title it drove me crazy. This year the Homan team curled very well to win their title. Certainly though I had to pull for Jennifer Jones team from my home province, and would have been very happy to see her go to Worlds, I feel we are sending a strong team that I don't think will doubt their own abilities if the chips are down.

FYI, a very premature report I heard said that if the Homan team wins the Olympic Trials then Jones Manitoba team as runner up will become Team Canada at 2014 Scotties. I know the ladies would all rather focus on the Trials but I guess this way their won't be any surprises if it should happen.

Now a couple of Brier comments. Howard team is not my favourite as I find Glen rather sulky when things don't go his way, but I have to say they certainly look good. I will admit I want Stoughton to win it all but I am not particularily confident that he can do it this year. I have been most impressed by the younger Northern Ontario and Newfoundland Labrador teams. Gushue has actually looked the best to me of all the skips this week, even in the games he lost. Here's hoping for some great playoff games and a great winner.

vCash
    Howard and Stoughton game is good so far. It looks like Stoughton has found his game for his contest which I guess shouldnt be surprising. The veterans seem to have that knack even when they hadnt been looking good. Howard still has control of the hammer so far though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skate Talker View Post
    First a belated congratulations to the Rachel Homan team. May you curl as strongly at Worlds. Happy for Kelly Scott to win the Bronze as you could see it really meant something to them and that certainly doesn't always happen. I like Heather Nedohin too but she is just so wound up all the time it can hurt to watch her - also I thought that last year she had so many lucky breaks to win her title it drove me crazy. This year the Homan team curled very well to win their title. Certainly though I had to pull for Jennifer Jones team from my home province, and would have been very happy to see her go to Worlds, I feel we are sending a strong team that I don't think will doubt their own abilities if the chips are down.

Now a couple of Brier comments. Howard team is not my favourite as I find Glen rather sulky when things don't go his way, but I have to say they certainly look good. I will admit I want Stoughton to win it all but I am not particularily confident that he can do it this year. I have been most impressed by the younger Northern Ontario and Newfoundland Labrador teams. Gushue has actually looked the best to me of all the skips this week, even in the games he lost. Here's hoping for some great playoff games and a great winner.
    Glenn Howard is not my favorite either. Cant really explain why though, good guy and great curler and good sportsman, just doesnt have the personality or aura that excites me the way his brother Russ always did, and the way Kevin Martin does. I do like the team mostly since I am a big fan of the front end, and have been since their days of curling for Morris.

Although I like Jennifer Jones I am glad Homan is going to Worlds since Jennifer does not have a good Worlds record (for whatever reason) so want to see Canada send a team with better chances to win. I wouldnt mind if Jones went to the Olympics as she has no past record there to go by, good or bad.

vCash

Well well, Kudos to Northern Ontario today. They really came out to play today and fully deserved the win. I think Glenn was still bothered after yesterday. A couple of bad shots really cost them and Northern Ontario and the boys really made them pay for it. It's been a long time since Northern Ont won it, so I wouldn't mind seeing them win tonight. Will be a tough final.

I can't bring myself to cheer for Stoughton. Gotta go with Northern Ont.
    Kyle

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Cheering for NO because I'd really like to see someone other than the big 3 at Worlds. But I wouldn't be upset with Stoughton as Canada's entry.

vCash
    I'm so sad for Team Ontario! SUch a disappointing loss for them yesterday and then I think today N. Ontario was just riding high on their win from last night and that made today's game tough. Kudos to N. Ont for putting the pressure on ON. Wish there couldn've been a different outcome.

vCash
    Congrats to Brad and team Northern Ontario for winning the Brier! Canadian Men's Champions! They really stepped it up after their losses, and played the best out of any of the teams left. They played well and made Jeff pay for every single one of his mistakes. They really are the four strongest guys out there and it's paid off. They made some amazing shots this week and Brad really has improved his soft game, he's always been able to hit with the rest of the team, but it was the finesse game and the draws, and it really paid off here.

2013 I believe is the start of a new era in Canadian Curling, first 23 year old Rachel Homan wins, and Brad is only 27. I think we are starting to see the next generation really set in and take over. I don't think many people actually picked these guys to win it, they had the talent and were certainly a playoff team, but I don't believe many people thought they would win it this year. They proved that they are just as good as anyone else in the country.

That being said, The Maple Leaf on their back is a whole other story, they are now going to be the target of everyone at Worlds. They haven't had this kind of pressure or expectation on them. I think Worlds is now officially a toss-up with Niklas Edin, Thomas Ulsrud and Tom Brewster (who has added David Murdoch at third). The boys are certainly capable of winning it all, they proved that this week, but now that they face a seasoned international field, that adds a level of pressure, especially now since the eyes of the country are now upon them as to try and win it all. I expect there to be a couple of hiccups, but I have have every expectation that they will at least be on the podium.

This certainly adds a curveball to the Olympic Trials Field now if they do indeed grab one of the spots prior to the Pre-Trials which I expect they will do along with Mike McEwen.
    Kyle

vCash
    MOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSE!!!

Way to go Boys!! Ever since beating NFLD yesterday, the entire team was just in such a zone and it just seemed they couldn't be rattled. The shots made over the last two days...WOW!! It's really been such a great treat to watch the incredable show those guys put on out in Edmonton this weekend and the entire week too. As kyle stated, this does feel like the start of a new era in Cdn Curling. Congratulations to all of them for giving us such an amazing and fun week of out of this World Curling.

So proud of Brad and the Boys for giving us a Brier Championship for the first time in far too long and I can only imagine the Party that's going on at the Club up in the Soo right now.

Good Luck at Worlds in Victoria Guys and enjoy tonight and the Homecoming this week!!!

Team Northern Ontario 2013 Brier and Canadian Champions.

WAAAAAHHHHHOOOOOOO!!!!!!

vCash
    I think Brad Gushue might be the one most frusterated to see this result. Not only has he continued to be in the shadows of the veteran Canadian teams, but in the last few years he has been passed by by Mike McEwan, and now probably by Brad Jacobs as well, skips and teams younger than his (although hard to guage his team since it is totally new every year it seems, lol). You have to wonder if he will ever win a Brier.

vCash
    Well, considering what the economic realities are in Nfld, it's harder to keep a young team together there than anywhere else in Canada other than the Territories from what I know. I mean....Even Linda was asking on behalf of the boys for someone in the St. John's area who needed hard working and smart workers to hire them.

It's a sad reality of the times, but I can't help but wonder if Brad will need to leave Nfld in order to win a Brier. I hope not, but if he and the guys can't find a job there, then what other choice will they have?

vCash
    Congrats to Northern Ontario - as AragornElessar said, totally in the zone. It was a marvel to watch. Best of luck at Worlds boys. I don't mind seeing new young blood out there either. Aside from the brilliant execution, for the most part I thought their shot selection was great - just enough outside-the-box thinking to keep them unpredictable and their opponents slightly off balance.

Just a comment about Gushue - I think he was playing better this year than I have seen in a long time. I really liked the chemistry of this team and wish they could stay together and develop but with 2 of the lads graduating this year and looking for work, it might be tough to keep the team together. That would be a shame.

vCash
    Probably no surprise to be seeing Sigfridsson, Homan and Muirhead at the top of the leaderboard early on in the round robin at Women's worlds in Latvia. Should be quite the battle again for the playoff spot (thinking it's Sidorova's year to make a splash)

vCash
    Ugh, losing to the US was completely unnecessary. They had every chance to win, they have a tough day against Sweden tomorrow, if she wins that I'll have more confidence, but as it stands... Homan's play still isn't convincing me.
    Kyle

vCash
    Homan played really against Sweden even though they lost. They might be back on track.

vCash
    Three cheers for Team Homan..........hope they're back on track for good. After some early problems, they seem to have figured out the crappy ice (roof leaks and all). I'll be watching when I can. I actually have a playoff game myself tomorrow........going for the win......just like Rachel et al. You go girls!!!!!
    Addicted to FSU

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast