Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    What I find extremely frustrating is that Reynolds probably could have been really successful with a proper coach. Who would work on improving his basics and fixing his jumps. But no, he's stuck with McLeod and all he can hope for with her is fluke performances like the one at 4CC where he'll stand up on his jumps and where the cheats will be less than 1/4. He deserves better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    This.
    I third this. IMO Kevin has a great deal of talent and drive, but hasn't been given the guidance to properly hone his technique and develop his own artistry and style. I sometimes wince when I watch him, imagining what he could have developed into if he had spent time with a coach like Orser.
    just my two cents...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post

I wish the thread had been titled differently to emphasize Reynolds' fine accomplishment at 4CC, as reflected in this excerpt from the article:

(Even Joanne McLeod didn't come out and say in the article that she thought her pupil could "overtake Patrick Chan as Canadian Number 1.")
    This!

As far as Kevin beating Patrick. I doubt it will happen but in life I've learned to "never say never"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Both Dai and Yuzuru singled out Kevin before 4Cs or at least before the FP as one whose strengths they had observed with respect. I doubt they think less of him now.
    Actually both Dai and Yuzuru saw his Canadian Nationals performance, they both mentioned it in the press conference before the SP began. They wouldn't have mentioned it like that if they ruled him out. They were definitely aware of his capabilities before the 4CC FP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post
    I would rather Sarah Hughes came back and won a second Olympic Gold Medal
    I would pay to see that.

living every minute
    vCash
    On some days, depending on how each skates, yes. Who expected him to beat Daisuke and Hanyu and win 4CC?

The potential Men's podium field just got bigger and more complicated.
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato

vCash
    Yes.

vCash
    From Kevin's Facebook on February 13th:
    "Back home! Thank you all for your incredible support. The last few days in Osaka passed by like a dream... There have been times in my career where even I doubted myself, but throughout all the ups and downs, I remember all the people that believed in me. You gave me the strength to believe in myself, and now I have achieved something far greater than I could have ever expected. I will never forget this week. Now, back to training, and on to the World Championships in Canada! I can't wait!! ヾ(*’▽’*)"

And a cute pic:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

vCash
    What a well spoken young man!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    If someone posted "Can Reynolds overtake Hanyu and Takahashi" a month everyone would have said no, never.

If Reynolds skates two perfect programs, and Chan bombs, then yes I think its possible for Reynolds to win over Chan. Chan doesn't seem to be getting the "he must win no matter how he skates" treatment from the judges this season and Reynolds' stock is going up.

But if "overtake" means Reynolds permanently overtaking Chan as the #1 Canadian guy overall, then I think that's incredibly doubtful given the disparity of skating quality. Chan is still the overwhelming favorite for Canada and I think will remain so until he retires.
    Hope that not happen. Chan may (yet) lack the charisma of Yag or Plushy, the appeal of Lambiel, or the raw force of Joubert, but he has every quality to be one of the best ever, if not already one.

Reynolds could beat Chan on a good day. He’s a jumper, and he picked up the quad way earlier than other men. But until he improves on skating, speed, technique, consistency, and lower body strength and balance, I don’t see him overtaking Chan as a better skater. Never seen a filiform-physiqued man become a men’s champion, either.

vCash
    Kevin needs to wear that hat all the time.

INTJ
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quartz View Post
    Kevin needs to wear that hat all the time.
    Maybe he can get cast in a production of Newsies
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

vCash
    Not anywhere near the top men. A fluke? Yes.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I think I'm starting to get that there is no such thing as a fluke. On the day of the competition you do what needs to be when others do not. To say that all the skaters who have had one bright shining moment in their career are "flukes" is insulting. Very few people can hit the podium almost every time.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I think I'm starting to get that there is no such thing as a fluke. On the day of the competition you do what needs to be when others do not. To say that all the skaters who have had one bright shining moment in their career are "flukes" is insulting. Very few people can hit the podium almost every time.
    This.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lowtherlore View Post
    Never seen a filiform-physiqued man become a men’s champion, either.
    Have you seen/heard of a skater named Scott Hamilton?

vCash
    This was the first FS from Reynolds I remember in a very long time (if not the first ever?) without any <.

vCash
    But there are skaters that hit the podium every time. This is what separates the top tier with the ones playing catch. Reynolds, I believe, is still among the group playing catch. I think he's moved up to the ranks of Amodio, he's been fairly consistent as of very recent. They have the ability to do well and podium if and when the top tier skaters falter. But when everyone is on their A-game, they have no chance at all.

I do agree with you for these one shot competitions that skaters just need to do better compared to their peers on the day that it matters - which isn't necessarily a fluke so to speak. But as audiences, it's hard to accept when the top favourites have a big melt down because we know they are capable of more and "better" on average.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    This was the first FS from Reynolds I remember in a very long time (if not the first ever?) without any <.
    Yes. And like Nagasu, I think his fate is almost always going to be at the hands (or mood) of the caller.

When I think of him, I immediately think of popped axels. Is this a fair impression?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    Entering into the '01/'02 Oly season, I wonder how many people thought that Sarah Hughes could overtake Michelle Kwan?
    Quite a few when she was throwing 3/3 combo's left and right..

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    As a one off only if Patrick has a really bad competition .. permanently only if Patrick retires. But Kevin has to stay healthy as well.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast