Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Exclamation Mexican-American boy's national anthem sparks racist comments

Twitter:

LatinaLista ‏@LatinaLista 2h
    The story of Sebastian, the 12-yr-old who sang the National Anthem who was bombarded with racist tweets... http://fb.me/1zifeb1sq
    What the freaking hell is WRONG with people?!?

vCash
    I was watching the game Tuesday night and as soon as I saw Sebastian come out on the court to sing the anthem the first thing that popped into my mind was "the haters are going to go after him big time for wearing his beautiful outfit". And I was right. Sad that people are so narrowed minded.

vCash
    I'm not sure that wearing a mariachi outfit is really appropriate in which to sing the US national anthem. What if it was a girl in blond pigtails, wooden shoes, & a little Dutch girl outfit or someone in a French maid or a flamenco outfit? His costume would have made me go HUH? But I don't understand making racial remarks about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Catherine M View Post
    I was watching the game Tuesday night and as soon as I saw Sebastian come out on the court to sing the anthem the first thing that popped into my mind was "the haters are going to go after him big time for wearing his beautiful outfit". And I was right. Sad that people are so narrowed minded.
    Too true. This beautiful little boy is so precious, and sang such an awesome Star-Spangled Banner, and then to be bombarded with such filthy, racist insults is disgusting!

But he handled it with such grace, such poise...I am so proud of Sebastien De La Cruz, a proud Mexican-American child from San Antonio, Texas!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    I'm not sure that wearing a mariachi outfit is really appropriate in which to sing the US national anthem. What if it was a girl in blond pigtails, wooden shoes, & a little Dutch girl outfit or someone in a French maid or a flamenco outfit? His costume would have made me go HUH? But I don't understand making racial remarks about it.
    SERIOUSLY?!?

The game was in San Antonio, Sebastien is a well-known local singer in a Mariachi band; he looked great and sang great. What's wrong with him showing his pride in his Mexican heritage AND his pride in being an American...SHEESH!

It's not an either/or when it comes to one's ethnic heritage and one's American patriotism. It's attitudes like yours that are part of the problem.

vCash
    Oh for the love of god I hate to break it to some of those "pure bred Americans" but unless you're 100% Native American, you're not pure bred anything. We're all here via an immigrant. I am an American thanks to a crazy mix of German, Irish, Welsh, Russian, Kazakhstani, Chinese and Mongolian. Seriously, I'm a total mutt. I remember when I was in college, there was this horribly racist girl in one of my classes. One day, she started complaining about the Asian students that were in our classes (Why? I'm not sure.) I informed her that I was part Asian. She responded with "but you have blond hair. You look too American to be Asian".

vCash
    I heard about this and am truly disgusted that so many these days seem think the anonymity of the Internet gives them the freedom to be total jerks. A recent ad for Cheerios cereal generated the same hateful racist remarks.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3363507.html

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    From the linked article:

San Antonio is a multicultural city with more than 55% of the population being Hispanic and 90% of those people identifying themselves as Mexican according to the Pew Hispanic Center.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    what a complete embarrassment...and sadly, totally unsurprising
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    From the article:

As for Sebastien, he said the racist comments have not fazed him.

"For those that said something bad about me, I understand it's your opinion," said Sebastien to CNN. "I'm a proud American and live in a free country. It's not hurting me. It's just your opinion."

Sebastien has been singing since he was 5 but gained fame in 2012 after being on NBC's "America's Got Talent" for singing his mariachi ballads with hopes of winning to help his younger brother get surgery for his hearing problem.

Juan De La Cruz, Sebastien's father, hasn't taken the negative comments personally at all.

"When he was on 'America's Got Talent,' he faced racism there, too. You can't satisfy everyone," said De La Cruz to CNN.

"I think people reacted the way they did because Sebastien was wearing his mariachi outfit," said De La Cruz, "But, it doesn't make sense to listen to those people when most of the feedback we have gotten is positive. San Antonio supports Sebastien."
    This child and his family have handled this with such poise and grace!

And BTW, Sebastien's dad is a veteran of the UNITED STATES NAVY!
    Last edited by dardar1126; 06-13-2013 at 06:35 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I heard about this and am truly disgusted that so many these days seem think the anonymity of the Internet gives them the freedom to be total jerks. A recent ad for Cheerios cereal generated the same hateful racist remarks.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3363507.html
    I know...wasn't that RIDICULOUS!

A few years ago I read an interview with bi-racial soap actress Victoria Rowell. Her husband was Caucasian, and their daughter is pale-skinned and fair-haired. She said she often got rude comments from strangers about her child, and why was this "white" child with her, etc.!

EDIT:

"Meanwhile, in 1989, Rowell married Tom Fahey, an airline pilot. Shortly before the birth of their daughter, Maya, Rowell and Fahey divorced. Their blonde, blue-eyed daughter--Fahey is white--has caused many an uncomfortable moment when strangers insist she cannot be Rowell's daughter. The nurse in the hospital infuriated Rowell by not giving her the baby until she had checked and rechecked the wrist band identification. Being the daughter of a mixed couple herself, Rowell is careful to teach Maya about all of her heritage. When asked her color, Maya responds, "black and white."
    My cousin's daughter has a bi-racial child...she's the cutest little baby...and I hope she doesn't have to face this kind of racism.
    Last edited by dardar1126; 06-13-2013 at 08:08 PM.

vCash
    Are you kidding?

If it was a girl in blond pigtails with all the description (including the other European examples you gave) you have given, she would have been considered 'cute', because blond haired (or those who look Caucasian) people are not put to such scrutiny here.

With so much hatred toward immigrants from Mexico, a cute Mariachi outfit and more important his singing of our national anthem was ridiculed (I have not read the comments on facebook yet; have to do it from my home computer tonight; actually they may not be worth reading). Today's Americans have immigrated to this country from all over the world. It's not fair to accept some and hate others.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Are you kidding?

If it was a girl in blond pigtails with all the description (including the other European examples you gave) you have given, she would have been considered 'cute', because blond haired (or those who look Caucasian) people are not put to such scrutiny here.

With so much hatred toward immigrants from Mexico, a cute Mariachi outfit and more important his singing of our national anthem was ridiculed (I have not read the comments on facebook yet; have to do it from my home computer tonight; actually they may not be worth reading). Today's Americans have immigrated to this country from all over the world. It's not fair to accept some and hate others.
    AMEN!

Twitter:

Tony Diaz ‏@Librotraficante 21m
    “@RussContreras: mariachi singer Sebastien de la Cruz & homage to US Latino Medal of Honor recipients http://youtu.be/-asnoSwt_HI ” #latism

vCash
    Sebastian's JOB is a mariachi singer. He stated he wore his costume in honor of his culture.
    He was also on America's Got Talent.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi859SM76xk

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Sebastian's JOB is a mariachi singer. He stated he wore his costume in honor of his culture.
    He was also on America's Got Talent.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi859SM76xk
    Yes, he's known as El Charro de Oro (The Golden Cowboy/or Horseman), his band is Charros de Oro...I think their costumes are beautiful and very classy:

http://nbclatino.files.wordpress.com...0&h=467&crop=1

EDIT: Many high schools here in Texas (particularly in south Texas) have school Mariachi bands. They compete in regional and state competitions. Here's an excellent documentary about one Texas high school band as they prepare for and compete for the state title:

http://www.pbs.org/arts/gallery/mari...ariachi-about/

MARIACHI HIGH presents a year in the life of top-ranked members of Zapata High School’s championship ensemble Mariachi Halcon in the South Texas border town. This is an exuberant coming-of-age documentary about the brightest, most driven and talented Mexican American teenagers never seen on screen.

At a time when the Latino dropout rate is the highest nationwide, intolerance towards immigrants is growing and public school funding is being cut, “Mariachi High" turns a much-needed affirmative lens on teens who are pursuing excellence through a connection to their cultural heritage.

Beginning with the beguiling awkwardness of high-stakes band auditions, through dramatic competitions like the San Antonio Mariachi Vargas Extravaganza, and through graduation, viewers will see the students moving from school to stage in fierce contests filled with the fire of musical virtuosity and traditional trajes de charro dress. Before the cameras, the students discover their own unique voices and the richness of a heritage they are learning to embrace. High school never sounded so good.
    EDIT2: Official Mariachi High website...

http://www.rainlake.com/mariachi/
    Last edited by dardar1126; 06-13-2013 at 10:07 PM.

vCash
    My little sweetie will sing again tonight!
    http://blog.mysanantonio.com/jakle06...or-nba-encore/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    My little sweetie will sing again tonight!
    http://blog.mysanantonio.com/jakle06...or-nba-encore/
    That's AWESOME news...GO Sebastien, GO SPURS!

And here's a cute parody of that Cherrios ad...with a twist:

huffpostgay ‏@huffpostgay 15m
    A hilarious parody of the recent Cheerios ad responds perfectly to the haters http://huff.to/19wmLC3

vCash
    When I first heard that there was a backlash against a Cheerios ad, I watched it and could not understand what there was about it that was racist. It was just a cute commercial... then i realized that it was the comments that it had generated that were racist and I still could not really get it. Haters will always find something to critique.

I thought that little boy did a great job. I saw the news blurb about this on CNN and could not understand it. I don't care what he wore, he sounded like he put his heart into the song and that's a much better effort than some celebrities have done over the years (Roseanne, I'm looking at you...)

vCash
    On Inside Edition they did a report on Sebastien and the racist backlash. They also showed that little girl who sang the SSB in Miami, and suggested that these two amazing young singers be paired to sing the anthem TOGETHER! I think that would be GREAT!

vCash
    He just sang and did great again. Lots of love for him from the crowd!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast