Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    FarFarAway, I am glad your family and friends are okay. That must have been very scary.

My thoughts are with all those who were injured (+ their families).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FarFarAway View Post
    FarFarAway is down with the flu and terrible fever since last Friday

The news actually made me get out of bed and spend some nervous hours trying to contact my mother on my mobile, since she lives in Chelyabinsk and just about 5-6 km away from the epicenter of the most powerful explosion.

It turned out that the apartment we bought 13 years ago was the right choice - all the windows are facing opposite to the explosion side, so she just heard a very loud 'boom' and saw a bright light while she was doing some aerobics and that's it. She didn't even turn on the TV and heard about the meteor from me.

I have a lot of friends there, since I grew up and went to school and university in Chelyabinsk, all of them are okay luckily, but the damage is quite strong - shattered windows and interiors of the buildings and quite a lot of injured people due to this.

My dad was very lucky to fly away to Germany to work at a university in Dusseldorf area a week ago, since his apartment is in the very epicenter if another explosion. But it is almost in the park area, so I bet trees saved it.
    I am glad you and your family is safe...

Quote Originally Posted by FarFarAway View Post
    Russians are a bit different from Americans Overcurious where we need to be overcautious

And what about that super hyper equipment astronomers have? National Geographic sometimes almost says it can catch a fly on the other end of the universe?

I am not surprised our Russian equipment didn't detect anything though, as sad as it is
    It was not just Russian Astronomers who missed but entire astronomers around the world missed it. Nobody knew the asteroid was actually going to land in Russia, it could have landed anywhere in the world. The object is not that huge so chance of missing this was fairly large. It is also possible the object may have broken of from the other Asteroid which we knew about.

The very likely people to spot such an objects would have been amateur astronomers. Even the observers (astronomers and astrophysicist who do mostly observations) wouldn't have spotted this object unless the object came into the region they where looking. All the big telescopes are observing object(s) for a specific pre-defined study, for which they had to write a proposal and got accepted by the telescope committee (most telescopes are over subscribed since the number of proposal far out number the available time). Probably some telescopes (BIG) are doing asteroid search, but definitely not vast majority of them.

If you want a comet named after you get your telescope and start observing ...(and hope it does not have a path directly towards us)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    It was not just Russian Astronomers who missed but entire astronomers around the world missed it. Nobody knew the asteroid was actually going to land in Russia, it could have landed anywhere in the world. The object is not that huge so chance of missing this was fairly large. It is also possible the object may have broken of from the other Asteroid which we knew about.
    The meteorite that fell in Russia had nothing to do with 2012 DA14, the big asteroid that passed by Earth late last night. They had completely different orbits, and didn't affect each other in any way. It was just a coincidence that they both happened to swing by on the same day.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Saw a rant in Russian about how the Russian missile defense system or just a plain radar should have picked up the meteors entering the atmosphere and warned the population. Not even a peep from the government ahead of this though.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash

My favorite comment: In Soviet Russia, space explores you.

vCash
    Hope you feel better soon FarFarAway, and glad you and yours are fine. Been looking at a LOT of videos of the event and it is still so spectacular and scary.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Saw a rant in Russian about how the Russian missile defense system or just a plain radar should have picked up the meteors entering the atmosphere and warned the population. Not even a peep from the government ahead of this though.
    Incoming meteors are MUCH faster than planes or even missiles. The Mach 5 missile in development can hit 3,700 mph and can hypothetically bomb anywhere in the world within a hour of deployment. This sucker was 33,000 mph, and broke apart 20-30 miles above the earth. The damage was from the shockwave, not anything physical.

Not sure what they could have done even if radar could have picked it up. By the time they got the message to the TV stations, it would have already happened.

Also, the space scanners didn't see it because it came from the direction of the sun, which will overpower anything visual. Something needs to be coming at us from the night sky in order to be detectable.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Thanks for the explanation, Anita18.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123