Page 41 of 49 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

vCash
    From CNN's article:

ABC Entertainment Group President Paul Lee told reporters: "We think building the results show into the competition over a two-hour period will only help the series." Lee also said "Dancing" was renewed for fall and spring cycles.
    At least we get two series for the upcoming season.
    Perhaps that was the trade-off.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Did one of the other competitions show go from two shows to a combined show?

They could take the audience votes from the last week and combine them with the judges' scores for the single show. They could average or factor the total of the judges scores from the current and last weeks and add to the last week's audience scores.

If they used audience votes from the current show, it would only work in a limited window. If the show continued to be shown at 8pm in the local time zone, the only votes that would count would be in Eastern Time. The other option would be to air live and start it during local time, but that overlaps with local and national news reports, and I don't see that happening with the show on a weekday.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Huh. I had thought that they were going to bump it down to one cycle per year. I guess this was the trade-off. Still will be interesting to see how they pull this off. I know the very first season was only once per week, they had the votes from the previous week added to the judges scores from the current week to determine who was axed. Not sure I like that because the judges would know how they would need to score couples in order to get the results they want.

vCash
    Maybe the results show could have dropped to 30 minutes. There really is a lot of filler in that hour.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fridge_Break View Post
    Huh. I had thought that they were going to bump it down to one cycle per year. I guess this was the trade-off. Still will be interesting to see how they pull this off. I know the very first season was only once per week, they had the votes from the previous week added to the judges scores from the current week to determine who was axed. Not sure I like that because the judges would know how they would need to score couples in order to get the results they want.
    I see that as a very big problem. I don't know how this is going to work with any sense of fairness. I think maybe a 90 min. competition show and a 30 min. result show would be better. The other thing they could do, but it would be weird, is do a 90 min show, have a 30 min. sit-com in between and then do the last 30 min.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    That's all well and good if they were willing to ignore the West coast, because there's no way West coast affiliates are going to scrap or postpone local news to show the competition itself.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I see that as a very big problem. I don't know how this is going to work with any sense of fairness. I think maybe a 90 min. competition show and a 30 min. result show would be better. The other thing they could do, but it would be weird, is do a 90 min show, have a 30 min. sit-com in between and then do the last 30 min.
    DWTS doesn't broadcast simultanously across the U.S., so that would not work, unless you intended to disenfranchise viewers on the West Coast.

I think it was SYTYCD which went to a one show/week format, but I'm afraid that I can't rec all off-hand how they handled it. On that show, there were no judges scores to take into account, only the "dance for your life" segments for the bottom 3.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Maybe they will eliminate a team at the beginning of the following weeks show?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Badams View Post
    Maybe they will eliminate a team at the beginning of the following weeks show?
    Maybe I dreamed it, but I believe they did that once in season 7 (I think, I recall Lance and Lacey being there). I believe it was a three night week with double elimination and one of the couples was eliminated on the second day of competition. IIRC the couples were told on the spot whether they'd be dancing or not.
    I'm not 100% sure though.

vCash
    Oh yeah, Jacoby is safe.

ETA: Kellie and Derek safe. Zendaya in jeopardy.
    Last edited by Lilia A; 05-15-2013 at 02:51 AM.

vCash
    Ingo thinks he's going home.

Aly and Mark safe. Ingo in jeopardy.

vCash
    I can't warm up to Aly this season. I think I'm at the heaps of praise from the judges. I just don't get it. She's not a bad dancer, but 10's???

vCash
    Ingo goes home.

Says he made it way farther than he thought he would.

vCash
    I'm happy Zendaya made it to the finals, but I'm for Ingo. He's really grown on me the last few weeks.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    Wut.

How do they plan to do that? I know that you can have the results of voting in very quickly; when the BBC hosted a singing "audition" show they would film the performance and results show back to back with a short break in-between for voting, although they did air the results portion the next night (cut down on production costs, I'm guessing). But if they want to combine dancing and results in the same night, the show would have to get a lot longer, and I don't see that happening.

The only other thing I could think of would be to eliminate the losing couple at the beginning of each show, but that would be just cruel to make a celeb work their butt off for a week and then not get to perform. Ugh, I hope that's not what happens.
    Maybe they do no elimination the first show, then they get to dance the second show and someone is eliminated at the end of the 2nd show based on the first show scores. So they perform but the 2nd show scores don't count toward the elimination?
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I would think they'd have to do the "elimination from last week at the start of next week's." Yeah, it would suck to spend a week working and then not being able to perform, but otherwise, the West Coast viewers are hosed. OTOH, this could be why there's the huge push of Twitter-vote for this and Twitter-vote for that.

On the plus side does this mean no more stupid "musical guests" and Macy's Stars of Dance fluff padding out the show? Sometimes it's something good, most times it's just dragging things out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    I can't warm up to Aly this season. I think I'm at the heaps of praise from the judges. I just don't get it. She's not a bad dancer, but 10's???
    I'm with you, she must have a great agent.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    I would guess that they could use the previous week's voting to put a couple in Jeopardy and then have the current week's performance and marks determine who gets cut. It might create more suspense and encourage people in the bottom come out stronger to "save" themselves as well as give a little more weight to the judges scores. Right now it seems more of a popularity contest than a dance competition.
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    DWTS doesn't broadcast simultanously across the U.S., so that would not work, unless you intended to disenfranchise viewers on the West Coast.

I think it was SYTYCD which went to a one show/week format, but I'm afraid that I can't rec all off-hand how they handled it. On that show, there were no judges scores to take into account, only the "dance for your life" segments for the bottom 3.
    Wasn't thinking about that, sorry. The second option would not work, but the first one could. Of course that would till involve two nights.

vCash
    I think they could use the SYTYCD format for eliminations. IIRC, they have everyone dance with the premise of "if they're not eliminated [based on last week's votes], here's how you can vote for them". Then they do a quick elimination at the end of the show, all based on what happened the previous week.

Page 41 of 49 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast